Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
List your depressing moments of this past year
(02-17-2018, 03:45 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Every time I log on there seems to always be some depressing news. List yours from most depressing to least.

1. Marvin Lewis resigned
2. Letting Whit and Zeitler Go
3. Botched AJ trade
4. Missing out and getting absolutely nothing for AJ.
5. Resigning Kirkpatrick
6. Ross pick
7. Only getting a 5th for Whit

Im sure there's more depressing moments I'm missing so feel free to add. Just curious how everyone else ranks the low points of the season.

Are you ****** kidding me?

Why not start a thread about positive things?

This is absurd, wtf would you spread even More negativity, by being super negative?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 12:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: Wait, you mean more depressing than death, destruction, diseases, school shootings, etc., or A LOT LESS depressing than those and just merely Bengals related depressing ? I gotta tell you that nothing that the Bengals have ever done or will ever do rise to the level of the former.. .it's just football..  IDK.. Maybe the team has some really dark secrets we might need to be aware of...

Would have never known, thanks for clearing things up.  Ninja

Thought when I sharted in my lucky drawers at the PBS season opener that it was depressingly shocking for me and my neighbors in the surrounding seats.

Yet stand corrected.  

Come to the site to get away from those thoughts though.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 12:35 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Are you ****** kidding me?

This is absurd, wtf would you spread even More negativity, by being super negative?

Why is it anyone's responsibility to spread positivity?  Or enforce it for that matter?  None of us are Ben-Gals, at least not that I know of.  

It's simple cause and effect at play.  The organization does absurd things.  Absurd reactions should be expected.  I'm not going to tell anyone what kind of fan they should be, particularly if they've had the fortitude to be loyal to this second-rate team for any significant amount of time.  The Brown family should be thankful that there are any of us left at all. 

It's not our job to be the PR wing for the Bengals. If they cared about what the fans attitude was, they'd cultivate positivity on their own.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 12:47 PM)samhain Wrote: Why is it anyone's responsibility to spread positivity?  Or enforce it for that matter?  None of us are Ben-Gals, at least not that I know of.  

It's simple cause and effect at play.  The organization does absurd things.  Absurd reactions should be expected.  I'm not going to tell anyone what kind of fan they should be, particularly if they've had the fortitude to be loyal to this second-rate team for any significant amount of time.  The Brown family should be thankful that there are any of us left at all. 

It's not our job to be the PR wing for the Bengals.  If they cared about what the fans attitude was, they'd cultivate positivity on their own.

There is just one small problem with this logic.  Nothing in life will be easy.  Things are not going to go your way most of your life and many of them you will be powerless to change.  You can not control what other people in your life do.  

So when you have some time to yourself what should you do.  Obsess on how life isn't fair?  Cry about how you are not a getting what you DESERVE?  Sit around making and revising lists just so you can decide which of all the multiple failures in your life are the top 5?

90% of the time your level of enjoyment in life is determined by your own attitude.  Many big issues are out of your control.  So you can either look at the positive and feel good about life or you can obsess about how miserable you are and spend your life bitching and moaning.

What the Bengals do is one of those things that is 100% out of your control.  So what are you going to do?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is just one small problem with this logic.  Nothing in life will be easy.  Things are not going to go your way most of your life and many of them you will be powerless to change.  You can not control what other people in your life do.  

So when you have some time to yourself what should you do.  Obsess on how life isn't fair?  Cry about how you are not a getting what you DESERVE?  Sit around making and revising lists just so you can decide which of all the multiple failures in your life are the top 5?

90% of the time your level of enjoyment in life is determined by your own attitude.  Many big issues are out of your control.  So you can either look at the positive and feel good about life or you can obsess about how miserable you are and spend your life bitching and moaning.

What the Bengals do is one of those things that is 100% out of your control.  So what are you going to do?

You should do whatever you like and think however you like.  You're exactly right that we have zero control over what they do.  Doesn't mean anyone has to like it.  People can think however they want.

If you want to ***** about the team's lack of success and "uniqueness" among NFL franchises, then do it.  If you want to assume the role of attitude police on a message board, then knock yourself out.  The gut reactions are organic products of what the team does on and off the field.  Why alter them with forced or nuanced ways of looking at it.   

I would pose the exact same question to you.  You have zero control of how people perceive what the bengals do or their attitudes.  Knowing this, you still constantly agonize and complain about the negativity and how unfair everyone is to them.  Why do this when you have no control over what anyone on this board thinks?  
Reply/Quote
Likely not the most depressing, but right up there, would have to be when John Ross appeared to run for a 1st down and then fumbled the ball.

Knowing how Marvin Lewis operates, you just knew that he wouldn't see the field, let alone the ball again, for quite some time..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Why this thread, why!!!
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This board would be very boring if we all just agreed and pumped sunshine up each others rears.

Fred would not even be on the board using his argumental Superpowers anymore. Who would he scold anymore ? I would miss him personally.

Boring, and everybody should be allowed to cope with the Bengals debacles in whatever way they seem fit without being attacked in such negative manners.

It is kind of funny though, fighting negativity with more negativity. Much like in some's opinion that the things the Bengals do are out of ones control.

Yet so is how somebody else posts, but they draw the ire of some although it is out of their control. Move along if it is bothersome.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 02:10 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This board would be very boring if we all just agreed and pumped sunshine up each others rears.

Fred would not even be on the board using his argumental Superpowers anymore. Who would he scold anymore ?

Boring, and everybody should be allowed to cope with the Bengals debacles in whatever way they seem fit without being attacked in such negative manners.

It is kind of funny though, fighting negativity with more negativity. Much like in some's opinion that things the Bengals do are out of ones control.

Yet so is how somebody else's posts, but they draw the ire of some although it is out of their control.

That is not throwing gas on the fire at all and pretty hypocritical.

Good points, 'Cards.  

Part of being a "fan", short for fanatic, is the emotional investment that comes with being a loyal follower of a sports franchise.  That includes not only celebrating the positive achievements, but also suffering through the ugly stuff as well.  That is why places like this board even exist.

I find it completely healthy for fans to be able to vent their frustrations with the organization, to lament the failings of the franchise, and grieve the moments of "what could have been".  I don't spend much time on other teams' boards, but I'm willing to bet that even with the most successful of franchises, you'll find negativity and discontent amongst their respective fan bases.

With that in mind, I say go ahead, vent your frustrations, tell us your depressing moments and such.  Get it off your chest.  All that does, is make things that much sweeter, when those moments of triumph finally come!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The most depressing moment for me was the 4th down TD at the end of the Ravens game that spoiled their playoff berth. Why? Because the Bengals had already spoiled their own season.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Wow really, some overreact much? When this team starts making better decisions and playing better I'm sure we will have more "positive" threads. And if you think for a second that I would list anything that a sports team does as more depressing than a school tragedy, well then your just being an ass. This is a Bengals message board where we can be as negative or positive as we want. This franchise has made some piss poor decisions this past year, key word decisions. I'm not on here ranting about something like a fumble that just happens, even though a thread titled Hill fumble gets 1000 posts. Of course everything we could possibly discuss is out of our control, but to ignore the fact that those listed were decisions made by a franchise that was in control is just stupid. You want to be a cheerleader then get your wife's panties and bra go in your safe room with your Pom poms and give me a F, give me a U I'm sure you get the rest.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 02:10 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This board would be very boring if we all just agreed and pumped sunshine up each others rears.

Fred would not even be on the board using his argumental Superpowers anymore. Who would he scold anymore ? I would miss him personally.

It is kind of funny though, fighting negativity with more negativity. Much like in some's opinion that the things the Bengals do are out of ones control.

Yet so is how somebody else posts, but they draw the ire of some although it is out of their control. Move along if it is bothersome.

I get that misery loves company; however, I choose not to go that route.

I've been a member of these Forum about as long as Marvin has been HC and you will never have to worry about everyone agreeing and pumping sunshine up each other's rears.

Do you not see the irony in suggesting that someone that has a positive outlook on the team should "move along"?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Getting stomped by the Bears felt like a real low point to me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 03:45 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Every time I log on there seems to always be some depressing news. List yours from most depressing to least.

1. Marvin Lewis resigned
3. Botched AJ trade
5. Resigning Kirkpatrick
6. Ross pick

Im sure there's more depressing moments I'm missing so feel free to add. Just curious how everyone else ranks the low points of the season.

1. Wife going to hospital
2. Friends mom dying
3. Wife going back to hospital
4. Dog reinjuring herself...
5. Numerous celebrity deaths
6. Not being allowed to eat tomato

Football is entertainment... Not depressing.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 12:35 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Are you ****** kidding me?

This whole board seems to want to wallow in misery.   and keep reinforcing it.   They even make up things that never happened to ***** about what might have happened.
Reply/Quote

1. Marvin Lewis resigned
3. Botched AJ trade
5. Resigning Kirkpatrick
6. Ross pick

1. Lewis retained
2. Hearing that the team wants Bodine back
3. Whit leaving in FA
4. AJ trade falling through
5. Seeing how Ross was utilized and treated throughout the year.
6. Seeing the team wait until being practically out of contention before giving WJ3, Westerman, and Redmond m(any) snaps.
7. McCarron becoming UFA
8. Kirkpatrick retained
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2018, 11:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: This whole board seems to want to wallow in misery.   and keep reinforcing it.   They even make up things that never happened to ***** about what might have happened.

I agree with this sentiment, Xeno. CincyJungle is even worse for it.

This thread is a parade of victim mentality. There's no purging of negativity going on here, no catharsis - just reinforcement.
Reply/Quote
Whit leaving and Marvin re-signing. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 11:07 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: The majority of the off-season and regular season  was depressing, but here is my worst moments:

1. Week 13: Bengals blow the lead and the game to the Steelers.  Lose 23-20 and playoff hopes go down the tubes.  Had we won that game, I think we could've made a run perhaps.
2. Marvin Lewis adds not one but TWO contract years.
3. Whitworth leaving.
4. Embarrassing Week 2 loss to the Texans in primetime (again).
5 . Ross never even contributing.

This nailed it for me with one exception:  Week 1, finally a home opener, team looks about as flat as Kansas and the offensive scheme looks like a JV high school plan.  Wanted to puke the entire game.  

Honorable mention:  Would have beat Texans despite horrible showing again if Eifert was just able to stay in bounds of the end zone with no one within 10 yards of him.  Puke again. 
Reply/Quote
I'm most depressed over the fact that I still haven't received my big check for just being a fan. However, I've decided I'm not going to hold my breath waiting anymore.. Wheeeeeeew! 
I must be the anomaly in that I really don't get upset over football.
I see some people just go off the deep end and I have to wonder how they were as kids playing board games at home and whether as adults they're still harboring resentment because their little sister beat them at chutes and ladders or Candy cane land..  You know who you are..lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote