Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Leah...
Can we all stand behind this little lady and her fight for her life.... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25199841/devon-stills-daughter-has-serious-complications-after-procedure
Reply/Quote
Well I hope she's ok and pulls through, but other than that I can't do much more. My parents didn't send me to medical school. .
What do you suggest?
I raised 4 kids, have bunch of grand kids and more neices and nephews I constantly think about.
I don't mean to seem uncaring, but it gets to feel a bit disingenuous after awhile after her name gets plastered all over the media and I know of plenty of other kids who don't and never will get the care she gets because good old mom and dad have crappy jobs with no medical coverage.
I hope she pulls through so don't get me wrong, but my thoughts are more with kids who don't have the same advantages.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 02:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well I hope she's ok and pulls through,  but other than that I can't do much more. My parents didn't send me to medical school. .
What do you suggest?
I raised 4 kids,  have bunch of grand kids and more neices and nephews I constantly think about.
I don't mean to seem uncaring, but it gets to feel a bit disingenuous after awhile after her name gets plastered all over the media and I know of plenty of other kids who don't and never will get the care she gets because good old mom and dad have crappy jobs with no medical coverage.
I hope she pulls through so don't get me wrong, but my thoughts are more with kids who don't have the same advantages.

I guess this makes sense if your thoughts and prayers have limits
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 02:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well I hope she's ok and pulls through,  but other than that I can't do much more. My parents didn't send me to medical school. .
What do you suggest?
I raised 4 kids,  have bunch of grand kids and more neices and nephews I constantly think about.

Lol seriously.... you could have just left it at you hope she pulls through. 
 Prayers to Leah, Devon, and their family.  
Reply/Quote
What do you suggest?

That was one of the coldest, most unfeeling things I've ever read. And believe me, cancer does not care how much money you have.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 01:39 AM)spazz70 Wrote: Can we all stand behind this little lady and her fight for her life.... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25199841/devon-stills-daughter-has-serious-complications-after-procedure

Yes.  Prayers always. Hopefully this is a mild case of VOD.  My little nephew Elijah continues to fight Neuroblastoma as well and has never been declared cancer free.  He was diagnosed about  a year before Leah.  Please pray for him as well.  
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 04:35 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Yes.  Prayers always.  Hopefully this is a mild case of VOD.  My little nephew Elijah continues to fight Neuroblastoma as well and has never been declared cancer free.  He was diagnosed about  a year before Leah.  Please pray for him as well.  

Absolutely will do, and will continue to pray for Leah and all my Bengal Family...Which includes everyone here. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 04:33 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That was one of the coldest, most unfeeling things I've ever read.  And believe me, cancer does not care how much money you have.

Treatment does, though... Maybe I'm out of the loop, but since when is stem cell treatment standard for cancer patients?

I can sort of understand where he was coming from (even if I don't necessarily support the lack of tact he used). These sort of things affect millions of people, all over the world. If you're one of those affected by something like this already, it can be sort of hurtful when it suddenly gets plastered all over the media because the disease suddenly "has a face". Anyone remember that episode of House... TB or not TB? If she really were "just like everyone else", we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Reply/Quote
No the time or place to air out your curmudgeon-ish views, grampaholic. If ya don't wanna pull for this innocent little creature then don't, thats a YOU problem, in my book. If ya do, then it only takes 5 seconds to pray for her.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 09:33 AM)Ryuko Wrote: Treatment does, though... Maybe I'm out of the loop, but since when is stem cell treatment standard for cancer patients?

I can sort of understand where he was coming from (even if I don't necessarily support the lack of tact he used). These sort of things affect millions of people, all over the world. If you're one of those affected by something like this already, it can be sort of hurtful when it suddenly gets plastered all over the media because the disease suddenly "has a face". Anyone remember that episode of House... TB or not TB? If she really were "just like everyone else", we wouldn't be having this conversation.

My nephew also has neuroblastoma and he also had stem cell treatment.   My family is affected, and little Elijah's parents are thrilled that it is in the media, because that means more money for research.  Devon Still raised a lot of money for Cincinnati Children's Hospital, where Elijah is in experimental treatment currently.  Neuroblastoma research has been underfunded in the past, so Leah Still is doing a great thing for kids like Elijah. So no, it is not hurtful at all.  And for proof of that, here is an article by Paul Daughtery about Leah Still where my nephew Elijah is actually mentioned. It's in the bottom part of the article and Elijah's Mom is interviewed. http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-daugherty/2014/09/13/cincinnati-bengals-devon-still/15602309/
Reply/Quote
She will be fine. Strong kid.

On a side note, does this mean we can't cut Devon Still again?
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 04:33 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That was one of the coldest, most unfeeling things I've ever read.  And believe me, cancer does not care how much money you have.

Agreed.  If cancer took it easy on rich people, Steve Jobs would still be around.  Surely there is enough sympathy to go around for anyone fighting this horrible disease.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 02:59 AM)RCBengalsFan Wrote: Lol seriously.... you could have just left it at you hope she pulls through. 
 Prayers to Leah, Devon, and their family.  

Or just not post anything.

Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.  Abraham Lincoln
Reply/Quote
What do you suggest?

This is why we need a neg rep option.  Tasteless.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I can see what grampahol was trying to say. I dont think he was negative on Leah, just trying to make the point that lots of other kids are fighting it too and she seems to be getting all the press. What I dont think he considered was that all the press she gets brings more attention to the disease. Look at all the people that bought 75 jerseys. Do you think there would be that many purchases of a back up DL's jersey if it werent for a good cause? That check to cancer research is a direct result of Leah getting the press. So its a good thing, but I can see where parents of other sick kids might be a bit frustrated.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:45 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: My nephew also has neuroblastoma and he also had stem cell treatment.   My family is affected, and little Elijah's parents are thrilled that it is in the media, because that means more money for research.  Devon Still raised a lot of money for Cincinnati Children's Hospital, where Elijah is in experimental treatment currently.  Neuroblastoma research has been underfunded in the past, so Leah Still is doing a great thing for kids like Elijah.  So no, it is not hurtful at all.  And for proof of that, here is an article by Paul Daughtery about Leah Still where my nephew Elijah is actually mentioned.  It's in the bottom part of the article and Elijah's Mom is interviewed.  

I'm all for supporting Leah's family. And yours. The publicity is wonderful for those who are still around to benefit from it.  I just wanted to acknowledge that there are folks out there who weren't so fortunate, who lost loved ones without so much as a thread, blog, blurb, post, or tweet. They're allowed to feel frustration and jealousy, and that's how I am choosing to interpret grampahol's atitude. ThumbsUp

When I used "hurtful" in my OP, I meant on a personal level, obviously not hurting the cause. For many, all this newfound coverage is simply too little, too late, and therefore depressing. Something along the lines of "Why wasn't my loved one special enough to get this attention when it might have helped?"... Or even on a wider basis, what makes that specific disease so special? Is it just the flavor of the month, like ALS was last year? I'm not saying he responded correctly, just saying it may have been said from a point of grief.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 03:56 PM)Beaker Wrote: I can see what grampahol was trying to say. I dont think he was negative on Leah, just trying to make the point that lots of other kids are fighting it too and she seems to be getting all the press. What I dont think he considered was that all the press she gets brings more attention to the disease. Look at all the people that bought 75 jerseys. Do you think there would be that many purchases of a back up DL's jersey if it werent for a good cause? That check to cancer research is a direct result of Leah getting the press. So its a good thing, but I can see where parents of other sick kids might be a bit frustrated.

I only know about my family situation, and Elijah's parents are glad for the publicity because it means more money for research, which is what Elijah's Mom said in that article I linked to.   Elijah's Dad proudly wears his #75 jersey too.   Elijah was diagnosed a year before Leah and has never been declared cancer free.  It's a tough, tough battle and they need all the help they can get.  
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 07:05 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I only know about my family situation, and Elijah's parents are glad for the publicity because it means more money for research, which is what Elijah's Mom said in that article I linked to.   Elijah's Dad proudly wears his #75 jersey too.   Elijah was diagnosed a year before Leah and has never been declared cancer free.  It's a tough, tough battle and they need all the help they can get.  

Let's hope the little guy pulls through.
Reply/Quote
When my kids are, well being kids, I just take a deep breath and am thankful they are
Healthy. To Leah and all the sick kids, keep fighting.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:13 AM)jjvolt Wrote: No the time or place to air out your curmudgeon-ish views, grampaholic. If ya don't wanna pull for this innocent little creature then don't, thats a YOU problem, in my book. If ya do, then it only takes 5 seconds to pray for her.

You are missing the point.  Why just pray for Leah by name?  Why not instead pray fro ALL children that are sick?
Reply/Quote