Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Lou Who Is Consistent
This offseason was touted as upgrading Lou's defense to improve last years horrible showing against the run defense.

Week 1 against Chargers - 155 yards
Week 2 against Browns- 215 yards
Week 3 against Eagles- 175 yards

So far Lou is performing on par with last season even after this offseason's *upgrades*.

So after last weeks embarrassing showing in Cleveland and hearing players and coaches all week talk about "Stepping it up" and walking the walk, i just have one question.....

When?
Reply/Quote
He’s approaching Teryl Austin level bad. At least as far as stopping the run. I can’t believe that was our main focus of the offseason, and this is the result.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm no Amazing Kreskin (I ain't even Uri Geller) but I foresee all this "We need to fire coordinator X" talk being pretty pointless because the odds of better coordinators agreeing to work under ZT (particularly after he got all his prior coordinators thrown under the Bengal Bus) seem remote.

If we vacate the coordinator positions and keep ZT I legitimately shudder to think at the rock-bottom quality candidates we'd be considering. Simply put, if 0-0 ZT couldn't reel in his first 10 choices for DC what shot does a 6-24-1 or whatever ZT have of reeling in a guy who has even seen a football before?
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm no Amazing Kreskin (I ain't even Uri Geller) but I foresee all this "We need to fire coordinator X" talk being pretty pointless because the odds of better coordinators agreeing to work under ZT (particularly after he got all his prior coordinators thrown under the Bengal Bus) seem remote.

If we vacate the coordinator positions and keep ZT I legitimately shudder to think at the rock-bottom quality candidates we'd be considering. Simply put, if 0-0 ZT couldn't reel in his first 10 choices for DC what shot does a 6-24-1 or whatever ZT have of reeling in a guy who has even seen a football before?

Wade Phillips could probably step right in and be a huge upgrade at DC. He would bring a ton of experience at the very least.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm no Amazing Kreskin (I ain't even Uri Geller) but I foresee all this "We need to fire coordinator X" talk being pretty pointless because the odds of better coordinators agreeing to work under ZT (particularly after he got all his prior coordinators thrown under the Bengal Bus) seem remote.

Even scarier is what is the ceiling for NFL coach we can get here? Are we a franchise that a good coach doesn’t want to work for? Was Marvin the best we could get?

So many painful questions lol. Perhaps we tried to get bienemy and he was like nahhh I’ll stick as OC in KC.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:26 PM)GodFather Wrote: This offseason was touted as upgrading Lou's defense to improve last years horrible showing against the run defense.

Week 1 against Chargers - 155 yards
Week 2 against Browns-  215 yards
Week 3 against Eagles- 175 yards

So far Lou is performing on par with last season even after this offseason's *upgrades*.  

So after last weeks embarrassing showing in Cleveland and hearing players and coaches all week talk about "Stepping it up" and walking the walk, i just have one question.....

When?

The run D so far is even worse than last year, and they were historically bad last year. Let that sink in.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wade Phillips could probably step right in and be a huge upgrade at DC. He would bring a ton of experience at the very least.

Right, and if Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, and Billy Cobham joined my band I'd probably be able to make an album that sells more than 3 copies.

All joking aside, if Wade Phillips wants to work for ZT that'd be great...I guess they have that Rams connection but I hain't getting my hopes up.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, and if Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, and Billy Cobham joined my band I'd probably be able to make an album that sells more than 3 copies.

All joking aside, if Wade Phillips wants to work for ZT that'd be great...I guess they have that Rams connection but I hain't getting my hopes up.

I mean...Wade is sitting at home. If they called him tomorrow I bet he’s take the job. There’s some nice pieces on this defense. They aren’t nearly as bad they seem.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean...Wade is sitting at home. If they called him tomorrow I bet he’s take the job. There’s some nice pieces on this defense. They aren’t nearly as bad they seem.

It's possible, but I can also see him preferring to mellow out for a year rather than go into a situation where he's going to be taking marching orders from an over-promoted QB coach.  Well, I know we're stuck with ZT and company at least for another year but I'm still thinking we need to pull the plug on ZT if we want to lure people with actual resumes here.

Our coaching staff outside of Simmons is the unpaid intern of NFL coaching staffs.  A 73 year old Wade Phillips isn't likely to take a "learn on the job while drowning" position at this point of his life.  Then again, we have at least another 13 games this season, so who knows what happens.
Reply/Quote
Believe it or not, his run defense is actually performing worse this season. At least it is through 3 games, by average.

Last year, we gave up an average of 149 yards per game.

This year, we're giving an average of 182 yards per game.

And just wait until we have until we play the Ravens twice, to add this total. Those two games are probably good for a minimum of 400 yards of rushing between them

Not only is there ZERO improvement, it's actually getting worse!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's possible, but I can also see him preferring to mellow out for a year rather than go into a situation where he's going to be taking marching orders from an over-promoted QB coach.  Well, I know we're stuck with ZT and company at least for another year but I'm still thinking we need to pull the plug on ZT if we want to lure people with actual resumes here.

Our coaching staff outside of Simmons is the unpaid intern of NFL coaching staffs.  A 73 year old Wade Phillips isn't likely to take a "learn on the job while drowning" position at this point of his life.  Then again, we have at least another 13 games this season, so who knows what happens.

He’s made it clear he wants to be coaching right now.

“Being out, I feel like I could help somebody,” Phillips said. “That’s the only thing. But they’ve got to feel that way, too. But there’ll be some teams that don’t do as well. Whether they'll consider me to help, I don’t know that. So, we’ll have to wait and see.”

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s made it clear he wants to be coaching right now.

“Being out, I feel like I could help somebody,” Phillips said. “That’s the only thing. But they’ve got to feel that way, too. But there’ll be some teams that don’t do as well. Whether they'll consider me to help, I don’t know that. So, we’ll have to wait and see.”

Yeah, Wade's phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook. I think he would jump at the chance...and I think Zac should too.
Reply/Quote
Feel like Tobin is more to blame then the coaches. Not saying we have good coaches by any means or that I believe in them. We blamed Alexander, Pollack and Tuner for the offensive line issues and this defense has been horrific under multiple coaches the last 4 years. There’s a serious talent issue with this roster and Tobin needs to take some heat.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Believe it or not, his run defense is actually performing worse this season. At least it is through 3 games, by average.

Last year, we gave up an average of 149 yards per game.

This year, we're giving an average of 182 yards per game.

And just wait until we have until we play the Ravens twice, to add this total. Those two games are probably good for a minimum of 400 yards of rushing between them

Not only is there ZERO improvement, it's actually getting worse!!!

We play some great running teams down the stretch as well. Derrick Henry and Ezekiel Elliot will feast.

We dodged Saquon, he would’ve torn this D up too.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:00 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Feel like Tobin is more to blame then the coaches. Not saying we have good coaches by any means or that I believe in them. We blamed Alexander, Pollack and Tuner for the offensive line issues and this defense has been horrific under multiple coaches the last 4 years. There’s a serious talent issue with this roster and Tobin needs to take some heat.

I’ve defended Tobin at times over the years, but with miss after miss on the OL he has to be held accountable. Plus the John Ross pick. That’s the kind of thing that should get someone fired. You just can’t continually miss on 1st round picks like this. Jury is still out on Jonah...

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2020, 11:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s made it clear he wants to be coaching right now.

Who knew hiring some geriatric scout's son, as a pure sign of neoptism, then giving 21 years on the job, and making him the head of your 4 man scouting department, would result in lackkuster results?

Duke Tobin initially being hired, and retaining his employment for 2+ decades, is the epitomy of laziness and incompentence.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve defended Tobin at times over the years, but with miss after miss on the OL he has to be held accountable. Plus the John Ross pick. That’s the kind of thing that should get someone fired. You just can’t continually miss on 1st round picks like this. Jury is still out on Jonah...

Agree that’s where I’m at. The jury is still out on Pratt and the rookie linebackers as well ,another position that Tobin could never figure out. Johan has been decent ,I pray to god every night that he’s a franchise LT we can afford anymore setbacks.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:17 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Who knew hiring some geriatric scout's son, as a pure sign of neoptism, then giving 21 years on the job, and making him the head of your 4 man scouting department, would result in lackkuster results?

Duke Tobin initially being hired, and retaining his employment for 2+ decades, is the epitomy of laziness and incompentence.

Mic drop.

Our “scouts” are a bunch of idiots too. I wouldn’t let those guys choose a pee-wee football team, let alone a NFL team.
Reply/Quote
Let's get real
1.) The Defense has played well enough to win two of the first three games this season. Today they had 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 6 TFLs, held the eagle's under 5 yards a pass attempt, and a QB rating of 63. The Chargers were held to under 20 points and that's with holding them to 3 points off two Turnovers.
2.) Over the past 10 games dating back to last year's Raiders game the Defense has played well in all but two of them(Dolphins game and this year's Browns Game). It's not like this unit hasn't shown significant improvement since the first half of 2019.
3.) They haven't played a game with their best player in Geno Atkins.

Outside of the Browns Game the Defense has played well. The real blame should go to the Offensive Line who can't block anyone in either the run game or Passing Game.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 12:29 AM)J24 Wrote: Let's get real
1.) The Defense has played well enough to win two of the first three games this season. Today they had 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 6 TFLs, held the eagle's under 5 yards a pass attempt, and a QB rating of 63. The Chargers were held to under 20 points and that's with holding them to 3 points off two Turnovers.
2.) Over the past 10 games dating back to last year's Raiders game the Defense has played well in all but two of them(Dolphins game and this year's Browns Game). It's not like this unit hasn't shown significant improvement since the first half of 2019.
3.) They haven't played a game with their best player in Geno Atkins.

Outside of the Browns Game the Defense has played well. The real blame should go to the Offensive Line who can't block anyone in either the run game or Passing Game.

I think this gif best sums up my thoughts for pretty much every post you've ever had...

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote