Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Things You Did Not Know
Here's a thread about little stuff that you should have known, but didn't and you came to realize. (Of course, some of this might be a bit embarrassing)

Here's a few for me:

Earliest one (Age 8): My Mother always said that my clothes were "getting too small for me." My grandmother would quip that clothes shrank in the dryer. So, for a good long while I just thought clothes shrank. I wasn't growing. They shrank I'm telling you!

Next: (Age 11) The term XOXOXOXO means hugs and kisses. Not sure where I was -- obviously not much of a note passer, but geez.

Next: (Age 40) The term for a theater production "Off Broadway" is referring to the street -- Broadway Street in NYC that runs through Times Square. If the theater is on Broadway St. it's a 'famous' production.

Next: (Age 46 -- I'm a slow learner) The little adjustment lever on a toaster. You know 1 2 3 4 .... is the number of minutes the bread is being toasted. Here I thought the higher the number the more "toasty" it was. Who knew, right?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 12:35 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Next: (Age 46 -- I'm a slow learner) The little adjustment lever on a toaster.  You know  1   2   3   4 .... is the number of minutes the bread is being toasted.  Here I thought the higher the number the more "toasty" it was.  Who knew, right?

Wait. Really?...Mind blown!!! Guess you learn something new everyday lol I'm not sure I buy it tho, I'll have to time it next time I make toast  Wink  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Next: (Age 46 -- I'm a slow learner) The little adjustment lever on a toaster. You know 1 2 3 4 .... is the number of minutes the bread is being toasted. Here I thought the higher the number the more "toasty" it was. Who knew, right?
[/quote]

Learning this at age 26. thank you for allowing me to learn that earlier in life...I did not know that!
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 12:46 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Wait. Really?...Mind blown!!! Guess you learn something new everyday lol I'm not sure I buy it tho, I'll have to time it next time I make toast  Wink  

I wonder if fred knows this? Where is he anyway?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 12:35 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Next: (Age 46 -- I'm a slow learner) The little adjustment lever on a toaster.  You know  1   2   3   4 .... is the number of minutes the bread is being toasted.  Here I thought the higher the number the more "toasty" it was.  Who knew, right?

What if your toaster doesn't have numbers? Does each notch represent a minute?

In January 2014, we changed buildings at work. There was a lot of relocating going on, and the new site had to take down offices and supply rooms to accommodate additional cubes. For the entire first year here, I thought the maintenance people were continually working on a cube near mine. About a month or so ago, I realized the "drill" they were using turned out to be an electric pencil sharpener.

I'm not sure who should be more embarrassed, me for thinking it was a drill for over a year, me for learning that people still use normal pencils, or the person that uses said pencil.
[Image: HZgos1.png]
Reply/Quote
Figured this would be a hilarious thread. Meh. Guess not.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2015, 11:33 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Figured this would be a hilarious thread.  Meh.  Guess not.

I was trying to think of a good one, none are coming up for me, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 09:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I was trying to think of a good one, none are coming up for me, though.

I know, it's tough to come up with. I know I've had many moments like these throughout my life, but can't remember most at the moment. I've mistaken about a million song lyrics lol but it'd take forever to post all of those. One thing I can remember is...

1- I had my laptop for about 4 years and had never touched any of the "Function" keys. I never knew what they did and was always terrified to touch them. I thought they were for fixing the computer and should only be touched by computer repair people, little did I know that some would have been pretty useful to me all those years LOL
Reply/Quote
I remember in first grade they would always tell you that you could tell your left side from your right side by looking at your hands and seeing which index finger and thumb would make an L shape.

I remember looking at my hands and thinking "they're both in the shape of an L, one of them is just backwards!" LOL
Reply/Quote