Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Live in the moment and enjoy this run because it will never be as sweet as this one
I was in college in 81 in upstate NY and was the only one rooting for the Bengals. I was at the 88 SB. If I can find tix, I'll go to LA too.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 07:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: I was in college in 81 in upstate NY and was the only one rooting for the Bengals. I was at the 88 SB. If I can find tix, I'll go to LA too.

I’m about 50 miles from SoFi so if you get me a ticket you can sleep on my couch and I will provide all of your meals too.

Hell if you get me a ticket I will be your servant for the weekend!
Reply/Quote
At 59 I can still remember highlights from over the years. And my memory isn't what it once was. LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 05:53 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: There are some people so old here they probably remember '81 and '88 like it was yesterday.

Yes, I distinctly remember them having to chase stray woolly mammoths off of the field. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 05:53 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: There are some people so old here they probably remember '81 and '88 like it was yesterday.

Remember about 1 percent of '81 and '88, if that. Just some individual plays. You know, like Tim Krumrie getting hurt and Billups dropped ball and Montana touchdown pass and Stanley Wilson's cocaine high! I didn't have a means then to replay the game over and over, nor was there a message board to discuss plays. 

And I'll say this: this is by far the most enjoyable season in my fifty years as a fan. By far. From the controversial draft pick, to the prognostications that Chase can't catch a ball, to Burrow going to be a shell of himself after the injury, to Herbert being better than Burrow, to -- well, you know it all. Overcoming all those obstacles, with a team of high-character players that are just a delight to root for, to three edge-of-one's seat playoff victories.
Reply/Quote
Was a senior in HS in 81 and a die hard Bengals fan already

but trust me that was not yesterday

even though it may seem time elapses quickly, and it certainly does, the entire vision of 81 is slightly blurred.

Going to just bask in this moment and soak every minute of it in.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm soaking up as much of this season as I can. I don't think any season will ever be as much fun as it has been this year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Guilty!  Maybe not quite like it was yesterday, but I remember both games.  1981 was kind of like this year in that I couldn't believe my team was actually going to be in the Super Bowl.  To suddenly be relevant after years of being an afterthought at best!  

It was really a big deal at the time that two new teams were going to play:  Bengals and 49ers.  It seemed like only 5 teams had been in the superbowl in the 70s:  Dolphins, Cowboys, Vikings, Steelers, and Raiders.  There was so much interest in the exciting new teams the game was the highest rated TV show of all time (still is, I think).  Time magazine had a famous split cover of Ken Anderson and Joe Montana before the game to symbolize the changing of the guard.  Obviously all the hype was half right:  the 49ers were the new dynasty...

I was a freshman in college in January of 1982.  I got an email yesterday from a friend I've haven't heard from in 30+ years saying he remembers the last time he watched the Bengals in the Super Bowl it was in my dorm room drinking whiskey and ginger ale from 32 oz tumblers.   LMAO
Reply/Quote

Going to be 60 this year, so yeah I remember.  1988 was the hardest loss, cause I thought we'd be back in the Super Bowl the following years.  Never happened.  Never thought I'd see the Bengals in the Super Bowl again in my lifetime or actually win one.  I have hope! 
Reply/Quote