Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living in Caves on the Moon
I saw a documentary a few years back about what it would take to colonize the moon. One of the biggest dangers was cosmic radiation and how to protect the colonists. The plan was to use the lunar "dust/dirt" and fill the walls of the habitat with it, since it is a natural insulator to the radiation.

This new discovery of lava tubes would make perfect sense to achieve that protection of colonists from radiation. I'm assuming it would be possible to seal and fill with oxygen as well.

[Image: 31aca3f4b8c8772667309c05ad627734]

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/we-may-have-found-our-home-on-the-moon-in-a-lava-tube/news-story/9d67e6804b933ea9fd7be8d0c1e07071
Reply/Quote
I heard news about this on NPR this week, that they had identified some really large caves on the moon (former lava tubes). Excellent news, because they need that to protect from the radiation since the moon has no atmosphere. It could also protect from potential meteor strikes and help with temperature control.

The moon is packed with Helium 3, which currently sells on Earth as high as $2000 per liter. Someone will eventually go up there to mine it, and they will need a safe place to stay that doesn't involve wearing a spacesuit 24/7.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 11:23 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I heard news about this on NPR this week, that they had identified some really large caves on the moon (former lava tubes). Excellent news, because they need that to protect from the radiation since the moon has no atmosphere. It could also protect from potential meteor strikes and help with temperature control.

The moon is packed with Helium 3, which currently sells on Earth as high as $2000 per liter. Someone will eventually go up there to mine it, and they will need a safe place to stay that doesn't involve wearing a spacesuit 24/7.

The moon is also an ideal source for material to make solar panels, so they could have plenty of power there. Not to mention a great place to build a launching site for trips to Mars and possibly beyond to the moons of Saturn and Jupiter.
Reply/Quote
Living on the moon. Hmm. Helluva long way to go for a pack of smokes. Hey guys, I'll be back in a month.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Thanks for stealing my band name Pissed
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
The moon is no longer viable!

NASA sent several moon landings in their search for cheese, none was found, no more moon landings. Coincidence? I think not.

Plus, there are nazis on the dark side of the moon. We can't risk another war with those jerk wads.

All kidding aside, we should have a base on the moon right now with missions to Mars on a regular basis. Technology is advanced enough for this to happen but there just isn't any money in it so to hell with exploration.

Still angers me that we haven't furthered our exploration of our solar system.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 03:34 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: The moon is no longer viable!

NASA sent several moon landings in their search for cheese, none was found, no more moon landings. Coincidence? I think not.

Plus, there are nazis on the dark side of the moon. We can't risk another war with those jerk wads.

All kidding aside, we should have a base on the moon right now with missions to Mars on a regular basis. Technology is advanced enough for this to happen but there just isn't any money in it so to hell with exploration.

Still angers me that we haven't furthered our exploration of our solar system.

Oh, come on.  They're all over a hundred.  How tough can they be?  Sure , they'll move easier, being weightless and all, but you don't have to shoot a centenarian.  You can just, for instance, toss them into space.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 05:36 PM)McC Wrote: Oh, come on.  They're all over a hundred.  How tough can they be?  Sure , they'll move easier, being weightless and all, but you don't have to shoot a centenarian.  You can just, for instance, toss them into space.

Everyone knows that once they get past fighting age, they just pump out a new batch of clones, with a new Hitler clone and all, and just turn the old batch into soylent green.  

Duh. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 08:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Everyone knows that once they get past fighting age, they just pump out a new batch of clones, with a new Hitler clone and all, and just turn the old batch into soylent green.  

Duh. Ninja

"It's people!!!"

Okay.  Yeah.  Can't believe I forgot about that.    Thanx for the reminder.  

Reply/Quote