Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan Wilson is the best linebacker we’ve had since i began watching. (2002)
I like Wilson a lot but Burfict and Spikes were better.

Thurman made splashy plays but was constantly it of position. He had the potential to be great but he was not great in '05
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 01:29 AM)Housh Wrote: That pick he got in Tampa 2 was amazing. Linebackers just don’t make that play very often. Flacco played like 4th round rookie QB but we can’t discount great plays because the competition was subpar. This is the NFL everyone is a pro.

I believe Logan is under the “sign at any cost” designation but if he plays well this year how hard will he be to resign?

By my eyes he’s been all pro or just slightly under it so far this year

I think he might be the best young LB in the NFL right now, that is how good he has been. Agreed on that pick, crazy ability
to cover like that and get his head turned around and pluck the ball out of the air like a WR/TE. He has uncommon abilities 
and his instinctual play is very special and Logan Wilson is our leader on Defense besides DJ Reader.

Logan will have to step up and be the main leader with DJ being out for awhile.

I think of the young players we have to keep for the future Logan is amongst them with Burrow and Chase.
Reply/Quote
Man, Takeo Spikes made his defense a top 10 unit almost all by himself.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 10:46 AM)wcu Wrote: Oh what could have been with Odell Thurman.  I really think he could have been an all time great.

As much as I liked Kevin Hardy, he had definitely lost a step by the time he came to Cincinnati.  On the other hand, Takeo Spikes was in the discussion as one of the top talents in the entire NFL during his tenure with us and was around in 2002.  Ironic that he left to be on a playoff contender in Buffalo (who he didn't make the playoffs with) right before we found some success.

Spikes left in 2002 IIRC, that's why I left him off Wink

He definitely would've made my list.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 01:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like Wilson a lot but Burfict and Spikes were better.

Thurman made splashy plays but was constantly it of position. He had the potential to be great but he was not great in '05

He faded over time, but it's easy to forget how good Burfict was in 2012- 2013. He actually played with poise and control those first two seasons.

I really like Wilson. He disappeared for stretches last year, but at the same time the guy was playing through injury.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 07:01 PM)jason Wrote: He faded over time, but it's easy to forget how good Burfict was in 2012- 2013. He actually played with poise and control those first two seasons.

I really like Wilson. He disappeared for stretches last year, but at the same time the guy was playing through injury.

The one thing i remember about Burfict is his Ray Lewis-like ability to always be apart of EVERY SINGLE tackle within 20 yards of the LOS. Burfict was an idiot with handling his emotions but he was a damn genius on the football field. And I’m not over exaggerating. He was a GENIUS on the field. You have to be a smart hombre to be apart of so many tackles. One year he had 171 Freakin tackles. To do that you are getting almost 10 tackles a game which is hard as crap to do. That means you one are in the right spot ALOT and two you aren’t missing tackles. You are converting tackles that present themselves to you.

Logan Wilson does this. As proficient as Burfict was against the run, Logan is equally as proficient guarding the pass. But i think Logan is a better all around player because he is about as good a tackler as Burfict was. He’s just not the force Burfict was against the run
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 09:32 PM)Housh Wrote: The one thing i remember about Burfict is his Ray Lewis-like ability to always be apart of EVERY SINGLE tackle within 20 yards of the LOS. Burfict was an idiot with handling his emotions but he was a damn genius on the football field. And I’m not over exaggerating. He was a GENIUS on the field. You have to be a smart hombre to be apart of so many tackles. One year he had 171 Freakin tackles. To do that you are getting almost 10 tackles a game which is hard as crap to do. That means you one are in the right spot ALOT and two you aren’t missing tackles. You are converting tackles that present themselves to you.

Logan Wilson does this. As proficient as Burfict was against the run, Logan is equally as proficient guarding the pass. But i think Logan is a better all around player because he is about as good a tackler as Burfict was. He’s just not the force Burfict was against the run

... And that's the sad part. Burfict is remembered for decapitating AB, the personal fouls, and all the other dirty shit. That stuff really wasn't going on early in his pro career (When Zimmer was still here, and Guenther was his position coach), especially his rookie year. He had a few questionable hits the following year, but 2014 was when the leg twisting, and helmet to helmet stuff really started happening... He also missed a good chunk of that year, and in my opinion was never quite the same player from that point on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Like Wilson as well.We have some younger players on the defensive roster that I think have good potential,and hoping they’ll really show up this year,especially with Pratt and Reader being out.
Reply/Quote
Wilson is an awesome LB for the scheme. He can run sideline to sideline, he can spy, and he can cover like a big safety. He makes guys like Reader, Hubbard, and Hill look good and vice versa. 
Reply/Quote
I'd say Wilson is the best all around backer since Spikes and Simmons. Burfict under Zimmer was elite....but it was short lived.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: ... And that's the sad part. Burfict is remembered for decapitating AB, the personal fouls, and all the other dirty shit. That stuff really wasn't going on early in his pro career (When Zimmer was still here, and Guenther was his position coach), especially his rookie year. He had a few questionable hits the following year, but 2014 was when the leg twisting, and helmet to helmet stuff really started happening... He also missed a good chunk of that year, and in my opinion was never quite the same player from that point on.

In 2013, Burfict had 13 penalties, tied for fourth in the league. Eight of those penalties were personal fouls for unnecessary roughness, which was the most in the league. Your memory is misleading you - Burfict was fantastic, but he was also a dirty player very early on. His 2012 season is the only season where he was "clean". 
Reply/Quote
I will throw a chip in for Dhani Jones. My first thought was Simmons. Dhani was solid for this team.
fun stathead comparisons

Compare Dhani Jones Vs Logan Wilson
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 09:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd say Wilson is the best all around backer since Spikes and Simmons. Burfict under Zimmer was elite....but it was short lived.

It's funny...at the time he was here...Simmons was totally undervalued by the fans. Same with Justin Smith.

But, they were both really good players. Smith is borderline HOF.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 09:54 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: In 2013, Burfict had 13 penalties, tied for fourth in the league. Eight of those penalties were personal fouls for unnecessary roughness, which was the most in the league. Your memory is misleading you - Burfict was fantastic, but he was also a dirty player very early on. His 2012 season is the only season where he was "clean". 

Burfict seemed to lose a step later in his career too.

But yes...in his prime, he was a force. He had 171 combined tackles his 2nd year in the league.

Wilson had 100 combined last year. (In 13 games)
Reply/Quote
I'll say this about Burfict. When people were screaming to draft him, I looked him up and was vocal about not wanting him here based on what he did in college. That said, he made a believer out of me and I was glad to have him. I can't justify his leg twisting, but a lot of the other so called dirty plays he was flagged for were because his jersey said "Burfict" on the back and "Bengals" on the front. His hit on AB was nowhere near as bad as the hit Higgins took last week which was not even flagged. The refs had it out for him because they missed a couple of penalties and he made them look bad. From then on, his career was done.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'll say this about Burfict. When people were screaming to draft him, I looked him up and was vocal about not wanting him here based on what he did in college. That said, he made a believer out of me and I was glad to have him. I can't justify his leg twisting, but a lot of the other so called dirty plays he was flagged for were because his jersey said "Burfict" on the back and "Bengals" on the front. His hit on AB was nowhere near as bad as the hit Higgins took last week which was not even flagged. The refs had it out for him because they missed a couple of penalties and he made them look bad. From then on, his career was done.

I agree, but they flagged the Higgins play, two of them, in fact.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 12:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny...at the time he was here...Simmons was totally undervalued by the fans. Same with Justin Smith.

But, they were both really good players. Smith is borderline HOF.

Yep, Simmons just played on some really bad teams.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 12:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, but they flagged the Higgins play, two of them, in fact.

You're right, they did. Forgot. I guess I was thinking about fines, I did not hear of any, but maybe they did. No one is making a big deal calling him dirty though when he was clearly headhunting.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2022, 09:32 PM)Housh Wrote: The one thing i remember about Burfict is his Ray Lewis-like ability to always be apart of EVERY SINGLE tackle within 20 yards of the LOS. Burfict was an idiot with handling his emotions but he was a damn genius on the football field. And I’m not over exaggerating. He was a GENIUS on the field. You have to be a smart hombre to be apart of so many tackles. One year he had 171 Freakin tackles. To do that you are getting almost 10 tackles a game which is hard as crap to do. That means you one are in the right spot ALOT and two you aren’t missing tackles. You are converting tackles that present themselves to you.

No doubt, instincts and smarts. Both Burfict and Wilson had/have these. Something you cannot teach. Burfict only had 
these in 2012 though before the concussions started and he got dirty at times. I was fine with it when we played the 
Stoolers of course but it went a little far with other team's at times with Burfict.

Logan isn't dirty at all and is all class on and off the field and he has the instincts and smarts to go along with his sure 
tackling and is a great cover backer to boot. Could be our best LB of all time when it is all said and done and I thought 
Spikes, Simmons, Odell and Burfict were all great LB's at one point.

(09-28-2022, 10:32 PM)jason Wrote: ... And that's the sad part. Burfict is remembered for decapitating AB, the personal fouls, and all the other dirty shit. That stuff really wasn't going on early in his pro career (When Zimmer was still here, and Guenther was his position coach), especially his rookie year. He had a few questionable hits the following year, but 2014 was when the leg twisting, and helmet to helmet stuff really started happening... He also missed a good chunk of that year, and in my opinion was never quite the same player from that point on.

As KillerGoose said, he was dirty in 2013 too. But yeah agree with everything besides that here Jason.

The concussions were what ended Burfict's career and it was his fault. He wasn't keeping his head up when tackling.

Something Wilson makes sure to do when tackling. Great technique that hopefully will keep him healthy so he can have a
much longer career than Burfict.

(09-29-2022, 06:00 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Wilson is an awesome LB for the scheme. He can run sideline to sideline, he can spy, and he can cover like a big safety. He makes guys like Reader, Hubbard, and Hill look good and vice versa. 

For sure, and with Reader out he will have to be the leader now and will have to have a much bigger role especially 
in stopping the run. Tall task with our main man out. Good thing our first task tonight isn't a big running team.

(09-29-2022, 09:54 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: In 2013, Burfict had 13 penalties, tied for fourth in the league. Eight of those penalties were personal fouls for unnecessary roughness, which was the most in the league. Your memory is misleading you - Burfict was fantastic, but he was also a dirty player very early on. His 2012 season is the only season where he was "clean". 

True. Honestly loved how Burfict played against the Stoolers cause of my dislike of that team and how he got in their head.

They were such hypocrites as he did what they did all the time. He was just called out for it unlike they were.

Burfict was an old school Linebacker.

(09-29-2022, 12:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You're right, they did. Forgot. I guess I was thinking about fines, I did not hear of any, but maybe they did. No one is making a big deal calling him dirty though when he was clearly headhunting.

Joyner should of been fined for that hit no question. Don't know if he was or not though.

BTW, Sauce Gardner looks like a fine rookie Corner. Loved watching him go against Chase. He played him about as good as 
you can. Thinking this might make Chase really want to breakout tonight at Home against the Fins and Xavier Howard.

Wink
Reply/Quote
AJ Hawk and James Harrison
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote