Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3-Round Mock - October 2021
It's too early to say 100% what all the Bengals needs will be, but mocks are always fun, so here goes...

It's hard to say whether Hopkins will ever be as good as a pass blocker that he was before his ACL tear in Week 17 of last season, plus he's not exactly a Top 10 C when fully healthy either.
I do expect that (at least) one of BJ Hill and/or Larry Ogunjobi will be re-signed, so starting DT is taken care of.
I also think the Bengals will either keep Reiff or get another vet OT to replace him. There should be a few options. Same with Spain.
With Waynes already going to miss 22+ games across his first two seasons with the Bengals and entering a contract year next year, I'd strongly consider letting him go to free up $11 mill in cap to put towards a position on offense.
Not that I predict this, but I would LOVE the Bengals to take a chance on OJ Howard, who is set to hit FA this coming offseason. Howard has the speed and athleticism and more proven receiving production than the TEs currently on the Bengals roster. His big issue has been being able to stay healthy through a whole season.

For the draft, with the above considerations, I'd go with...
1) Tyler Linderbaum, C Iowa - While this guy is light, he's a beast who uses his wrestling background to dominate. We all know that Iowa produces great OL, so it's a safe bet that he'll be good in the NFL.

2) Derion Kendrick, CB Clemson - Kendrick continues to grow as a DB after starting his freshman season with the Tigers as a WR. I can see someone like Kendrick filling in in place of Waynes a boundary CB opposite of Chido.

3) Thayer Munford, OL Ohio St - With my expectation that the Bengals will get their starting OL set with Linderbaum, I decided to go with a versatile backup who has the size and length to perhaps take over at RT in a couple years if warranted. He also could become a solid OG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No way do we take a Center in the first unless we are picking late
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 05:14 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: No way do we take a Center in the first unless we are picking late

My expectation is the Bengals draft in the 15-20 range, which I think will be right around 7-9 wins.
If they draft lower than that, I agree no C.

Centers are starting to go in the 15-20 range now though.
Ryan Kelly went 18th in 2016 to IND.
Frank Ragnow went 20th in 2018 to DET.
Garrett Bradbury went 18th in 2019 to MIN.

I've seen some people mocking Linderbaum near the Top 10, so I don't think it's unrealistic to think he could go somewhere near the mid-teens.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 03:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's too early to say 100% what all the Bengals needs will be, but mocks are always fun, so here goes...

It's hard to say whether Hopkins will ever be as good as a pass blocker that he was before his ACL tear in Week 17 of last season, plus he's not exactly a Top 10 C when fully healthy either.
I do expect that (at least) one of BJ Hill and/or Larry Ogunjobi will be re-signed, so starting DT is taken care of.
I also think the Bengals will either keep Reiff or get another vet OT to replace him. There should be a few options. Same with Spain.
With Waynes already going to miss 22+ games across his first two seasons with the Bengals and entering a contract year next year, I'd strongly consider letting him go to free up $11 mill in cap to put towards a position on offense.
Not that I predict this, but I would LOVE the Bengals to take a chance on OJ Howard, who is set to hit FA this coming offseason. Howard has the speed and athleticism and more proven receiving production than the TEs currently on the Bengals roster. His big issue has been being able to stay healthy through a whole season.

For the draft, with the above considerations, I'd go with...
1) Tyler Linderbaum, C Iowa - While this guy is light, he's a beast who uses his wrestling background to dominate. We all know that Iowa produces great OL, so it's a safe bet that he'll be good in the NFL.

2) Derion Kendrick, CB Clemson - Kendrick continues to grow as a DB after starting his freshman season with the Tigers as a WR. I can see someone like Kendrick filling in in place of Waynes a boundary CB opposite of Chido.

3) Thayer Munford, OL Ohio St - With my expectation that the Bengals will get their starting OL set with Linderbaum, I decided to go with a versatile backup who has the size and length to perhaps take over at RT in a couple years if warranted. He also could become a solid OG.
The only thing I would like to see is a TE drafted early in the top 100 of the draft. I like the draft though but I think the Bengals draft a CB earlier than C next season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 05:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My expectation is the Bengals draft in the 15-20 range, which I think will be right around 7-9 wins.
If they draft lower than that, I agree no C.

Centers are starting to go in the 15-20 range now though.
Ryan Kelly went 18th in 2016 to IND.
Frank Ragnow went 20th in 2018 to DET.
Garrett Bradbury went 18th in 2019 to MIN.

I've seen some people mocking Linderbaum near the Top 10, so I don't think it's unrealistic to think he could go somewhere near the mid-teens.

Yeah you are spot on but personally I just don't see us going C in the 1st 
Don't get me wrong, I want and hope that we go all in on the O-line next draft and FA like we have done with the defence the last 2 years but with this coaching staff I just don't trust them.
I would also like to see us get another RB as Mixon just seems to be getting injured a lot
Reply/Quote
Tiger

I'd have to get behind any mock with two out of the first three picks being offensive lineman. Its important to the franchise that they go in that direction now. imo The organization could create the quality depth needed moving forward with that approach. Not to get away from you mock and forbid we need another wideout but.... I like Alec Pierce out of Cincy. Kid is a monster fish 3-5 . Thoughts Rock On
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 06:13 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Yeah you are spot on but personally I just don't see us going C in the 1st 
Don't get me wrong, I want and hope that we go all in on the O-line next draft and FA like we have done with the defence the last 2 years but with this coaching staff I just don't trust them.
I would also like to see us get another RB as Mixon just seems to be getting injured a lot

I'd be fine drafting a RB in rd 4 or 5 to back up Mixon.
Or go after a cheaper veteran. There look to be quite a few RBs hitting the market in the offseason, so I'm sure you could get a backup for $4 mill or less.

Some names I like as a backup (although I don't think all these guys would sign for $4 mill or less):
Melvin Gordon (I think DEN chooses to let him leave and roll with Javonte Williams next year)
Phillip Lindsay
Sony Michel
Marlon Mack
James Conner/Chase Edmonds (ARI won't keep both Conner and Edmonds, might even let them both leave and draft a guy)
Tevin Coleman
Peyton Barber
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 02:36 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I'd have to get behind any mock with two out of the first three picks being offensive lineman. Its important to the franchise that they go in that direction now. imo The organization could create the quality depth needed moving forward with that approach.  Not to get away from you mock and forbid we need another wideout but.... I like Alec Pierce out of Cincy. Kid is a monster fish 3-5 . Thoughts Rock On

The Bengals will likely need another WR given Auden Tate is set to hit FA after this season.
As long as it's a cheaper veteran or a mid-round draft pick, I'm cool with adding a WR.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2021, 02:36 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I'd have to get behind any mock with two out of the first three picks being offensive lineman. Its important to the franchise that they go in that direction now. imo The organization could create the quality depth needed moving forward with that approach.  Not to get away from you mock and forbid we need another wideout but.... I like Alec Pierce out of Cincy. Kid is a monster fish 3-5 . Thoughts Rock On

Last year, sure, but this year the real need is at CB.

I have no issue with Jonah-Spain-a new C - Carman - Reiff as our starters.  The CBs are in serious trouble if we keep getting 2 games a year out of  Waynes.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2021, 08:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Last year, sure, but this year the real need is at CB.

I have no issue with Jonah-Spain-a new C - Carman - Reiff as our starters.  The CBs are in serious trouble if we keep getting 2 games a year out of  Waynes.

Tiger

Hopefully he doesn't play another down in stripes!
Katie plz cut him and send him to the Cincinnati Zoo for Tiger food.
Reply/Quote
I'm leaning towards drafting a CB to replace Waynes and signing a C in free agency (depending on who hits the market). And that's assuming Hopkins' play doesn't improve.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2021, 11:44 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm leaning towards drafting a CB to replace Waynes and signing a C in free agency (depending on who hits the market).  And that's assuming Hopkins' play doesn't improve.

The FA market could evaporate quickly.
About the only C's I'd be interested in FA would be Kelce or Ben Jones, but neither may leave their current team.
And would either be willing to come to Cincy for the contract amount that we (or I) would expect the Bengals to offer (probably no more than $8 mill APY)?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote