Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London NFL franchise
There is always a fair bit of media coverage over here regarding the possibility of a London/English based franchise.

I don't even know how i'd feel about it...as personally I wouldn't like it if a US team suddenly cropped up in the Premier League.

Just wondering what your opinions on the issue were, i'd imagine most would be opposed.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
http://www.espn.co.uk/more/sport/story/354795.html

Reply/Quote
While I think it's a cool idea the travel might be a bit much. East coast teams wouldn't have that far to go, but if a west coast team had to travel there it's almost half way around the world. Huge home field advantage. Maybe have the London team play all 8 home games in a row and play all away games in a row, so they wouldn't have to travel back and forth every week.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 03:39 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: While I think it's a cool idea the travel might be a bit much. East coast teams wouldn't have that far to go, but if a west coast team had to travel there it's almost half way around the world. Huge home field advantage. Maybe have the London team play all 8 home games in a row and play all away games in a row, so they wouldn't have to travel back and forth every week.

But then one has to consider the advantage of playing 8 straight home games and the disadvantage of playing 8 straight away games. Fans complain about 3 game road stretches. The logistics of the NFL schedule as is is a monster in of it's own, imagine with a team across the pond. It all boggles the mind. 

I think that a franchise in London will happen eventually. I don't think it's a great idea though. I think that first on the list would be Canada, maybe Mexico. The distance is a lot. Not even for scheduling purposes but for the players and their families. I'm sure the schedule could be figured out, especially if an 18-game, two bye-week schedule came into effect with expansion teams. 
Reply/Quote
If it were to happen, do you think a current franchise (such as the Jaguars) would move to London....or would the franchise become an expanison team?

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 03:39 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: While I think it's a cool idea the travel might be a bit much. East coast teams wouldn't have that far to go, but if a west coast team had to travel there it's almost half way around the world. Huge home field advantage. Maybe have the London team play all 8 home games in a row and play all away games in a row, so they wouldn't have to travel back and forth every week.

Having another TV window to show games at 9:30 am ET in the US would be very enticing to NFL team owners.  I enjoyed watching the Falcons vs. Lions last year in the morning.

Maybe they could have stretches of 3 games, 3 games and 2 games on the road during the year.  Also, they could have a home base in the U.S. during those road swings where they could practice between road games without flying all the way back.  The travel isn't as overwhelming when you consider that the east coast to London is about the same as Miami or Tampa Bay to Seattle.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jacksonville move there since they seem to be the de facto NFL international team right now.  If they have enough interest to sellout the Buffalo/Jacksonville game months in advance, a franchise is likely within 5-10 years.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 04:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I think that a franchise in London will happen eventually. I don't think it's a great idea though. I think that first on the list would be Canada, maybe Mexico.

That's what I thought would be the best solution to the international question. Expand to Toronto and Mexico City. The flight to Mexico city would be long, but at least it's in one of our time zones.

To the op: does the average Londoner care about the NFL enough to warrant a franchise?
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 08:18 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: That's what I thought would be the best solution to the international question.  Expand to Toronto and Mexico City.  The flight to Mexico city would be long, but at least it's in one of our time zones.

To the op: does the average Londoner care about the NFL enough to warrant a franchise?

Well i'm not a Londoner, but I think any franchise would be supported by the country....there are good enough transport links into London for that.

There is certainly growing British interest, i'm just not sure if there is enough to fill a 90,000 seater stadium 8 times per season to watch a franchise that is likely to struggle.

Reply/Quote
Heard the Browns are considering Cricket. Wait, that's hearing crickets in their empty stadium .lol
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 03:59 AM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Well i'm not a Londoner, but I think any franchise would be supported by the country....there are good enough transport links into London for that.

There is certainly growing British interest, i'm just not sure if there is enough to fill a 90,000 seater stadium 8 times per season to watch a franchise that is likely to struggle.

I read that there are 50,000 season ticket holders for the 3 games being held this year.  That's without a real fan base for the teams playing.  Imagine the year-round focus that would come from the U.K., Germany and the rest of Europe for a team based there full-time.  It's a huge market, and I think it would be a great success gaining new fans.  The real issue would be if the team went 2-14, 3-13, 4-12 the first 3 years.  If they start a franchise, I would imagine they would move an existing team that would have a chance to do well in the first few years to keep new fans interested. 
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 10:52 PM)DaltontoKroftSBchamps Wrote: I read that there are 50,000 season ticket holders for the 3 games being held this year.  That's without a real fan base for the teams playing.  Imagine the year-round focus that would come from the U.K., Germany and the rest of Europe for a team based there full-time.  It's a huge market, and I think it would be a great success gaining new fans.  The real issue would be if the team went 2-14, 3-13, 4-12 the first 3 years.  If they start a franchise, I would imagine they would move an existing team that would have a chance to do well in the first few years to keep new fans interested. 

This is the most important part, early success. I'm not talking about going on and winning the SuperBowl obviously, but there needs to be a degree of success. The team can't be going 0-16 or whatever, as interest will wane too quickly and the experiment will fail.

Another topic for debate, how willing do you think the players will be to move all the way to Britain? particularly the players of a higher standard...?

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 07:52 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Another topic for debate, how willing do you think the players will be to move all the way to Britain? particularly the players of a higher standard...?

I don't think it would much of an issue for the rookies and younger guys.  Five or so months living in a nice apartment in greater London,  I think they might see it as a bit of an adventure.  The issue would lie with the veterans who are married and perhaps have school-aged children.  They might have to leave their spouse and kids behind in the states from August through December.  But, plenty of people live and work over-seas for months at a time for and considerably less pay, so it's certainly doable. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 07:52 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: This is the most important part, early success. I'm not talking about going on and winning the SuperBowl obviously, but there needs to be a degree of success. The team can't be going 0-16 or whatever, as interest will wane too quickly and the experiment will fail.

Another topic for debate, how willing do you think the players will be to move all the way to Britain? particularly the players of a higher standard...?

I don't think it would be that big of an issue because it would still be the NFL, as long as the money is right.  London is a world class city.  If you were from California or Florida, would you prefer London or Buffalo?  What if you could make more in London?  I'm not sure how the taxes would be applied to US players.  Also, wouldn't the London team have an advantage in getting European players? 
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 10:48 PM)DaltontoKroftSBchamps Wrote: I don't think it would be that big of an issue because it would still be the NFL, as long as the money is right.  London is a world class city.  If you were from California or Florida, would you prefer London or Buffalo?  What if you could make more in London?  I'm not sure how the taxes would be applied to US players.  Also, wouldn't the London team have an advantage in getting European players? 

What European players?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I don't think having a team in London is a good idea just because of the travel the team would have to do and I am not sure if a single team can gain that much interest in London. I think showcasing multiple teams is the way to go. Also think the NFL should concentrate more on developing the game and players in Europe rather than just giving a team to London.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2015, 10:48 PM)DaltontoKroftSBchamps Wrote: I don't think it would be that big of an issue because it would still be the NFL, as long as the money is right.  London is a world class city.  If you were from California or Florida, would you prefer London or Buffalo?  What if you could make more in London?  I'm not sure how the taxes would be applied to US players.  Also, wouldn't the London team have an advantage in getting European players? 

Would perhaps have an advantage in getting European players, but there aren't many out there are there?

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 07:43 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Would perhaps have an advantage in getting European players, but there aren't many out there are there?

I know European teams recruit Americans who don't get into the league. The brother of someone I work with was on a practice squad but didn't make it, and now he plays professionally in France.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good luck signing free agents over there.  NBA players didn't want to go to Vancouver, and it's beautiful there.  I love London, but I don't see 20 something yr old athletes wanting to play there.  There are too many logistical problems as well.  I say it never happens.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 09:52 PM)jason Wrote: Good luck signing free agents over there.  NBA players didn't want to go to Vancouver, and it's beautiful there.  I love London, but I don't see 20 something yr old athletes wanting to play there.  There are too many logistical problems as well.  I say it never happens.

All true plus something you haven't mentioned, the tax rate in the UK is far higher than in the US.  Zero chance a UK based franchise could either lure any FA's or hold on to any draft picks they didn't tag.  A stupid idea from a stupid commisioner more concerned with putting his stamp on the league than maintaining a viable product.
Reply/Quote