Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London Stabbings
That is a lot of people stabbed in a short period of time. Not even like a serial stabber or something, but just a lot of individual incidents. Reminds me of the 4th of July weekend Chicago reports, but just teenagers and knives. Sheesh.

I guess it just seems so weird to me personally because I grew up where everyone carried a pocket knife, and I don't recall anyone stabbing anyone. It was a tool. Heck, I still carry around a pocket knife because you never know when you'll get a ziptie that needs cut, or those shitty kids toys that have 30 straps holding them down, or those packages that are sealed so that even a nuke can't open them, or you know, just an amazon box gets delivered. Whatever. Now over there it's something completely different.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/london-crime-wave-shock-as-six-teenagers-stabbed-in-90-minutes/ar-AAvxCGx?OCID=ansmsnnews11
Quote:LONDON — Shocked residents of the British capital called for an end to a surge in violence that now includes six teenagers stabbed in the space of 90 minutes.

The incidents came days after London's murder rate surpassed New York City's for the first time. At least 55 people have been killed in London in 2018, over 30 of them in stabbings.

Police in the Tower Hamlets borough of east London said Thursday that two 15-year-old boys were taken to the hospital with serious injuries after they were stabbed at about 6 p.m. local time Thursday. A 16-year-old who was treated for minor knife injuries was arrested for conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm, and another male was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police said.

In a separate incident in the Newham borough of east London, police said three juveniles were arrested after a 13-year-old boy was stabbed. The victim is in serious but stable condition.

Elsewhere in the city, a teenager was taken to hospital when he was stabbed in Ealing Broadway, west London, and a 15-year-old boy was stabbed in Westferry, east London, but suffered no serious injury.

Also Thursday, a crowd gathered at a train station in the east London area of Hackney, near the scene of the fatal stabbing Wednesday of Israel Ogunsola, 18, to commemorate victims of violence.

Local youth worker Janette Collins, 58, told the London Evening Standard: "We need to stop this. Everybody keeps asking the same question, but the answers are in the young people. We the organisations are only trying to come out, to come together, and we are here to talk to young people and try to stop the violence."

David Lammy, the opposition Labour Party’s member of Parliament for the Tottenham area of north London, accused Prime Minister Theresa May and Home Secretary Amber Rudd, both of the ruling Conservative Party, of failing to act on the rising murder rate. He said four young people have been killed in his area since Christmas.

The number of police officers in England and Wales has fallen by 21,500 as part of a government drive to cut spending since May became home secretary in 2010. May became prime minister in 2016.

Lammy said there was “no single cause” of the violence, but that he was concerned that gangs were getting involved in turf wars over a multi-million pound cocaine market.

“What we’re seeing today is the worst I’ve ever seen it,” he told BBC radio. “There are parents, friends, families, schools traumatized and grieving. And there is absolutely no sign at the moment of reduction in the violence.”

Cressida Dick, commissioner of London’s Metropolitan Police Service, vowed to use “Al Capone” tactics to try and halt the violence.

She toldthe London Evening Standard on Thursday that a new task force of 120 officers would target most violent criminals to take them off the streets “for any crime.”

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(04-06-2018, 05:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That is a lot of people stabbed in a short period of time. Not even like a serial stabber or something, but just a lot of individual incidents. Reminds me of the 4th of July weekend Chicago reports, but just teenagers and knives. Sheesh.

I guess it just seems so weird to me personally because I grew up where everyone carried a pocket knife, and I don't recall anyone stabbing anyone. It was a tool. Heck, I still carry around a pocket knife because you never know when you'll get a ziptie that needs cut, or those shitty kids toys that have 30 straps holding them down, or those packages that are sealed so that even a nuke can't open them, or you know, just an amazon box gets delivered. Whatever. Now over there it's something completely different.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/london-crime-wave-shock-as-six-teenagers-stabbed-in-90-minutes/ar-AAvxCGx?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Americans:
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=6096185]
Thanks Shad Kahn. That guy is so weak
(04-06-2018, 05:56 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Americans:
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=6096185]

The incidents came days after London's murder rate surpassed New York City's for the first time.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-09-2018, 10:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The incidents came days after London's murder rate surpassed New York City's for the first time.

Good thing I wrote Americans and not New Yorkers then. 

LOL
(04-09-2018, 10:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The incidents came days after London's murder rate surpassed New York City's for the first time.

Interesting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43628494

Quote:Claim: London has overtaken New York for murders for the first time in modern history after a surge in knife crime across the capital.

Verdict: A selective use of statistics from the start of 2018 appears to bear this out - but the reality is that New York still appears to be more violent than London.
[Image: _90021446_grey_line_new.jpg]
Criminologists and police chiefs love studying the differences and similarities in violence between big cities because the huge amounts of data can give clues as to what works best to keep people safe.

There has been no end of comparisons down the decades of London and New York because, on the face of things, the cities are broadly comparable.

They're both cosmopolitan "world cities" with broadly similar populations of more than 8 million people. They also have big gaps between rich and poor inhabitants.

But there has always been one significant difference: the crime rate. So this weekend's report in the Sunday Times, which could be interpreted as suggesting that London was now more dangerous than New York, needs some unpicking. And, as you may have come to expect from BBC Reality Check, the truth is a little more complex.
[Image: _100672996_gettyimages-50880192.jpg]
According to the newspaper, London overtook New York's "murder rate" in February "as the capital endured a dramatic surge in knife crime".

That is true. The New York Police Department dealt with 11 homicides in February - while London's Metropolitan Police opened investigations into 15 deaths. And in March, there were 22 killings in London and one fewer on the other side of the Atlantic.

But that grim month-by-month tally is not quite the whole story.

The one thing that's always true about statistics is that there will be blips - sudden rises or falls in the data. These two high months for London could ultimately turn out to be outliers.

We don't yet know. But older data shows why we should be cautious.

In January, for example, the Met investigated eight murders in London. The NYPD looked into 18 killings.

And that means that while Scotland Yard has opened 48 homicide inquiries so far this year, New York has in fact opened 50 murder files.

Looking at 2017, the homicide rate per 100,000 population stood at 1.2 in London and 3.4 in New York.

While the difference between the two cities has definitely narrowed - the trend is far from fixed. And even older figures are also quite revealing.

[Image: _100685629_chart-londonnymurdernumbers-rutke-nc.png]

In 2007, New York witnessed 496 homicides. That was three times more than in London. Last year, the American city suffered 292 killings and London 130.

The rate of killings so far this year in London is higher than it was during the same period last year. The fatalities include five shootings and 31 stabbings.

Nine of those killed were teenagers and crimes involving knives and sharp instruments across England and Wales are at their highest level since 2011.

Why the rate is going up in London, so far this year, is unclear. There's a push for police to stop and search more suspects for weapons after a big fall in the use of the power since 2010. But New York police have also reduced their use of similar powers over the same period - and their murder rate has fallen.

[Image: _100685627_chart-stopsearchlondonnewyork-6b76f-nc.png]
New York is definitely a much safer place than in 1990 when there were 2,262 murders. But it's not remotely clear yet that London is becoming more murderous than its American cousin.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-09-2018, 10:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: Interesting.

It's certainly cherry picking to claim NYC now has a lower murder rate than London.  However, what you're not addressing is the consistent rise in violent crime, not just murder, in London.  
(04-09-2018, 10:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: Interesting.

I'm sure NY is still a more dangerous place than London, but their current numbers aren't rookie numbers which is what I was responding to.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-09-2018, 10:44 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's certainly cherry picking to claim NYC now has a lower murder rate than London.  However, what you're not addressing is the consistent rise in violent crime, not just murder, in London.  

Nor was that the claim made.

(04-09-2018, 11:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm sure NY is still a more dangerous place than London, but their current numbers aren't rookie numbers which is what I was responding to.  

OK, but it said murders were more than New York.  That's all I addressed.
(04-09-2018, 12:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: Nor was that the claim made.

Nor was it intimated that you did.  The topic at hand is the rise in violent crime in London, regardless of whether they've surpassed NYC.  Do you have an opinion on why violent crime is rising at such a fast pace in a previously "safe" city?  The acid attacks becoming more and more prevalent is especially concerning.
(04-09-2018, 03:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nor was it intimated that you did.  The topic at hand is the rise in violent crime in London, regardless of whether they've surpassed NYC. 

That's not what the the post I quoted and responded too.

(04-09-2018, 10:44 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's certainly cherry picking to claim NYC now has a lower murder rate than London.  However, what you're not addressing is the consistent rise in violent crime, not just murder, in London.  

(04-09-2018, 12:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: Nor was that the claim made.

If the post is about increased violence then the claim about murders isn't needed either.

(04-09-2018, 03:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Do you have an opinion on why violent crime is rising at such a fast pace in a previously "safe" city?  The acid attacks becoming more and more prevalent is especially concerning.

I'd have to do more research into that, different, question since I didn't comment on it at all yet.  Are acid attacks "more prevalent", for example.

A knee jerk reaction would be more people in the same space = more chance for violence.  Like any large city versus small town.  But that is just an educated guess.

Add knives to the list of banned items in the UK. Apparently they also made a law so you can no longer order even a kitchen knife online and get it delivered to your home (probably not steak knives either).

(04-09-2018, 04:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Add knives to the list of banned items in the UK. Apparently they also made a law so you can no longer order even a kitchen knife online and get it delivered to your home (probably not steak knives either).

There's routinely jokes on the internet about a teenager being unable to by teaspoons at the local store.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-26574789

The need a constitutional amendment that guarantees the right to bear cutlery.
(04-09-2018, 05:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's routinely jokes on the internet about a teenager being unable to by teaspoons at the local store.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-26574789

The need a constitutional amendment that guarantees the right to bear cutlery.

The grandmother says, knives and forks I understand.  I'm assuming butter knives and forks?  

(04-09-2018, 05:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The grandmother says, knives and forks I understand.  I'm assuming butter knives and forks?  

Sadly, yes.  The "weapons" laws in the UK are insane.  They also don't seem to be doing much good.
(04-09-2018, 03:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nor was it intimated that you did.  The topic at hand is the rise in violent crime in London, regardless of whether they've surpassed NYC.  Do you have an opinion on why violent crime is rising at such a fast pace in a previously "safe" city?  The acid attacks becoming more and more prevalent is especially concerning.

I address it to a general rise of hatred between ethnicities, fueled by parts of media and politics, which affects a cultural crucible like London especially. Radical Islam sure doesn't help either, so it's not just that one thing, but all of it.
(04-09-2018, 04:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Just so this is here, this is the law on knives in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

The law you're referring to is actually from last year. It is to ensure age verification is taking place. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/18/plans-to-make-delivery-of-knives-sold-online-to-private-addresses-illegal-knife-crime
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-09-2018, 07:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Just so this is here, this is the law on knives in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

So what you're trying to tell me is that MacGyver never really caught on there? Ninja

[Image: 9cd60ecab727d950a97818b3f9170b95.jpg]

(BTW, who doesn't love laws where the fine is listed as "unlimited"? Doesn't smell of tyranny at all.)

(04-09-2018, 08:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So what you're trying to tell me is that MacGyver never really caught on there? Ninja

[Image: 9cd60ecab727d950a97818b3f9170b95.jpg]

(BTW, who doesn't love laws where the fine is listed as "unlimited"? Doesn't smell of tyranny at all.)

I believe the knife in that picture would be allowable under those laws. Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-09-2018, 08:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I believe the knife in that picture would be allowable under those laws. Ninja

And I am sure you'll be able to explain that after you get randomly stopped and patted down.

Quote:"A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife or a weapon if you’re charged with carrying it illegally."

I mean, shit...
Quote:"stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
...AKA wooden shish kabobs.