Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long Term Strategy
(03-17-2022, 09:11 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: If someone like Olave was there I would take him. I don’t think you can have enough WR. If Chase goes down with an injury, how good is our Offense? I wouldn’t choose a WR over an O line of equal value, but if he’s BPA, take the WR.

Elite QBs do not need to have all those WRs if they do, they are not elite.. look what Brady  Rogers and Brees have done with much less overall depth of talent at WR.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:21 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Yet Titans lost to Bengals

It’s a team game? Not sure your point.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 07:53 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: It’s a team game? Not sure your point.

My point is is the days that are running back can carry a team to victory are rare today.  It's a quarterback centric era
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:13 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Going to enjoy the next two years but once Chase is up for his deal he is likely looking at Adams money.... not sure how we will afford a team with Burrow, Chase and Higgins locking up 75% of the salary

With Chase being Burrow's boy, Higgins will be the odd man out and replaced by a draft pick in future imho. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Elite QBs do not need to have all those WRs if they do, they are not elite.. look what Brady  Rogers and Brees have done with much less overall depth of talent at WR.

You can’t really compre qb to qb without comparing overall team. Brady is the best QB of all time, I would expect the best QB of all time to win despite the wr talent.

But if we can get Joe Burrow amazing weapons, why not? And if the weapons are so good, you don’t need as good as a defense.

It’s all about how you want to make your team. The nfl is about parody. There’s a salary cap and floor. All teams get 7 draft picks. All teams have to let go of talent because of the cap. We can make the offense so damn good, elite, that well be almost impossible to beat 2 out of 3 times. Sure, any given Sunday. But I believe you need to have an elite unit to win a SB. Either O or D. So let’s make it an elite O.

We didn’t win the SB this year. Why? We had a really good O and really good D. Neither were elite. With an improved o line, we can be that. And let’s keep adding to the WR talent.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:27 AM)Go Cards Wrote: With Chase being Burrow's boy, Higgins will be the odd man out and replaced by a draft pick in future imho. 

I disagree. We kept Carson Chad and TJ. I think we’ll keep all 3 and let some of the D talent go.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Draft a WR in the first round every other year?

These WR contracts are insane.

I know what you're saying but it really can't, nor should it, work that way. You can cripple your team based on needing other immediate plug and play guys at vital positions .
Every positional group is important and while some years FA will definitely provide those parts for specific groups, other years it may not and the top of the draft will supply what's needed..
Reply/Quote
and do agree with OP that WR's are being paid insane amounts of money that put a serious damper on the teams cap space.

In todays NFL the rookie contracts are a huge boon for teams if the player is a good starter and WR's seem to be more Pro-ready than ever coming out of college these days.

Just not sure they will let Burrow's best friend and jersey seller walk away, time will tell though.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:30 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I disagree. We kept Carson Chad and TJ. I think we’ll keep all 3 and let some of the D talent go.

Remind me again how that team fared ?  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:29 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: You can’t really compre qb to qb without comparing overall team. Brady is the best QB of all time, I would expect the best QB of all time to win despite the wr talent.

But if we can get Joe Burrow amazing weapons, why not? And if the weapons are so good, you don’t need as good as a defense.

It’s all about how you want to make your team. The nfl is about parody. There’s a salary cap and floor. All teams get 7 draft picks. All teams have to let go of talent because of the cap. We can make the offense so damn good, elite, that well be almost impossible to beat 2 out of 3 times. Sure, any given Sunday. But I believe you need to have an elite unit to win a SB. Either O or D. So let’s make it an elite O.

We didn’t win the SB this year. Why? We had a really good O and really good D. Neither were elite. With an improved o line, we can be that. And let’s keep adding to the WR talent.

Well what most of the great QBs have had is a solid line, that is more important deep depth at WR...but again great QBs rise above some of those issues, you don;t have to have great at positions.. but if you have bad at Oline or WR , that will probably hold back even the elites like Brady, Brees, Ben, Rodgers etc
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:13 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Going to enjoy the next two years but once Chase is up for his deal he is likely looking at Adams money.... not sure how we will afford a team with Burrow, Chase and Higgins locking up 75% of the salary

You don't.  When you have a fantastic franchise QB, you just pay him, keep a good OL in front of him, and give him a competitive defense to work with.  Skill players will just have to come and go the old fashioned way, draft, develop, release, repeat.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Teams have been operating off the assumption that the cap will go up significantly every year moving forward. Some guess between 10-20%.

If that happens, you are looking at 20-30 million extra per year. It won't be hard to keep a core together - even with rising deals.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: look what Brady  Rogers and Brees have done with much less overall depth of talent at WR.

Both Rodgers and Brady confronted the team about getting more talent at WR.

Remember what happened when the Patriots signed Randy Moss.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:08 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: My point is is the days that are running back can carry a team to victory are rare today.  It's a quarterback centric era

Yes. There was a stat that the leading rusher on like the last 15 or so SB teams earned less than $2 million a year. Crazy.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Both Rodgers and Brady confronted the team about getting more talent at WR.

Remember what happened when the Patriots signed Randy Moss.

I never stated no talent i was responding to the idea we needed like 4 top end WRs, I don;t remember when Rodgers or Brady how 4 top end WRs, do you ?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I never stated no talent i was responding to the idea we needed like 4 top end WRs, I don;t remember when Rodgers or Brady how 4 top end WRs, do you ?

Exactly. QB....then line...then WR...then TE/RB. In order of importance.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly. QB....then line...then WR...then TE/RB. In order of importance.

This was my point with the whole T Boyd reality a few months ago.

QB, WR1, oline, WR2 are the $ priorities, then TE/WR3/RB.  I doubt very seriously that Boyd is here the year after next or Mixon in 2024 with a 10M cap hit.

This is situation brings to light the need to prioritize dollars to priority positions.  WR3 and RB1 making the most money on offense is not a championship formula.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:30 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I disagree. We kept Carson Chad and TJ. I think we’ll keep all 3 and let some of the D talent go.

Carson Chad and TJ weren't getting over 100 mill a yr either. 1 will have to go and I agree it will be Higgins. And we should be looking to draft Boyd's replacement this year or next as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly. QB....then line...then WR...then TE/RB. In order of importance.

I agree, but Chase in '21 was the exception to the rule. There was never going to be another Chase unless you pay a FA big time money, trade several draft picks away to move up or find some diamond in the rough later in the draft. I'm going under the assumption that Burrow is just too good to have the Bengals be picking that early in the draft. Chase, the alpha WR, was the right decision over a OT. Also we saw what Burrow to Chase looked like in '19. That was clearly going to translate in the League.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I never stated no talent i was responding to the idea we needed like 4 top end WRs, I don;t remember when Rodgers or Brady how 4 top end WRs, do you ?

Name one team in the history of the NFL that had "4 top end WRs". 

Crazy argument, no?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote