Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longest Week
(01-30-2019, 03:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, because now aggrieved fans can show monetary damage for ridiculously blown calls, whereas before, there was no way to say you were harmed, hence no standing to bring a suit. That's what they call unintended consequences….

The problem I have with this argument is that there have been many missed calls leading up to the Super Bowl.  The officials missed several calls that went in the Saints favor during the Dallas game.  It can be argued that those missed calls led to the Saint's victory over Dallas propelling Saints to the NFC championship game.  

A team cannot reasonably pick one call and say it cost them the chance to go to Super Bowl.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 02:48 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Okay. This has officially become the longest week in my life as a Bengal fan since their last Super Bowl.  Waiting on Zac Taylor and his pending coaching staff decisions.  

I can't wait until press conference.  

I suffered through the Pro-Bowl which is as bad as it gets.  And a boring golf game.

What is everyone doing besides checking this thread 10 times a day for new news?

Yeah, taking awhile but hey, only a few more days. Hope the Superbowl is a good game and then we get to see our new HC.

Wondering who the other coaches are going to be...
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 04:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, taking awhile but hey, only a few more days. Hope the Superbowl is a good game and then we get to see our new HC.

Wondering who the other coaches are going to be...

Seems that the choice of DC candidates have been muted.  Which makes me wonder if Taylor will bring over Ejiro Evero.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 04:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Seems that the choice of DC candidates have been muted.  Which makes me wonder if Taylor will bring over Ejiro Evero.

So he is the Rams Safety coach eh? Will have to watch their Safety play on Sunday a little closer...
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The problem I have with this argument is that there have been many missed calls leading up to the Super Bowl.  The officials missed several calls that went in the Saints favor during the Dallas game.  It can be argued that those missed calls led to the Saint's victory over Dallas propelling Saints to the NFC championship game.  

A team cannot reasonably pick one call and say it cost them the chance to go to Super Bowl.  

lol let alone all the calls during the season that affect the standings and the playoff teams in general..

and there were plenty of bad calls in the saints rams game itself.   You are right that not 1 bad call is the culprit.. but everyone will always remember the last bad call in a very close contest.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 04:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Seems that the choice of DC candidates have been muted.  Which makes me wonder if Taylor will bring over Ejiro Evero.

With Taylor and Callahan already being so young and neither having been coordinators before, I can't see bringing in a guy who's also in his 30's and never been higher than a safeties coach, to lead the D. They need an experienced vet at the DC spot, IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 04:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With Taylor and Callahan already being so young and neither having been coordinators before, I can't see bringing in a guy who's also in his 30's and never been higher than a safeties coach, to lead the D. They need an experienced vet at the DC spot, IMO. 

Agree with you Holic, would much rather have Del Rio or Fox as the DC.
Reply/Quote
Win or lose, I hope Goff has the game of his life.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 04:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With Taylor and Callahan already being so young and neither having been coordinators before, I can't see bringing in a guy who's also in his 30's and never been higher than a safeties coach, to lead the D. They need an experienced vet at the DC spot, IMO. 

Oh absolutely 100% agreed. They need a DC that has instant command and respect that knows what he is doing. They can't afford to miss here, so they need to hire a solid yet safe choice with experience.

I'll be honest, I am definitely in the 'wait and see' category on the offense right now. I think it is perfectly legit for fans to be hesitant to get all giddy with the new changes in regards to the offense. But at the same time, it can't be worse than the last 3 years now, and they have a few vets that has experience which is a big plus.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:05 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Win or lose, I hope Goff has the game of his life.

Gonna be tough sledding against the Hoodie, I think, but ya never know.  He rebounded nicely in the Dome.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I don't disagree.  I really like Fox and JDR would be nice. But after the Callahan announcement, it seems eerily quite especially at the DC candidate position.  Makes me think that Taylor may go outside of the box on this one.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with you Holic, would much rather have Del Rio or Fox as the DC.

If you listen to that radio interview with Lap, that Holic posted, Lap already mentioned Del Rio the DC. I know nothing is for sure til it's announced by the right people, but Lap seems to have the scoop....
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gonna be tough sledding against the Hoodie, I think, but ya never know.  He rebounded nicely in the Dome.

I just want a good game from him. It will show the kind of preparation he went through.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The problem I have with this argument is that there have been many missed calls leading up to the Super Bowl.  The officials missed several calls that went in the Saints favor during the Dallas game.  It can be argued that those missed calls led to the Saint's victory over Dallas propelling Saints to the NFC championship game.  

That's the conundrum, where do you go back to. Do you go back to the missed PI helmet to helmet, or do you go back to the missed facemask on Goff. I'm not saying I agree with the suit, what I'm saying is that now that legal money is involved, people can show they have been monetarily damaged by what appears to be blatant disregarding of the rules, which gives them the standing in court they did not have before. It's a huge headache for the league, and why I think they will ensure the Patriots win the SB to try to make it go away.....
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 06:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's the conundrum, where do you go back to. Do you go back to the missed PI helmet to helmet, or do you go back to the missed facemask on Goff. I'm not saying I agree with the suit, what I'm saying is that now that legal money is involved, people can show they have been monetarily damaged by what appears to be blatant disregarding of the rules, which gives them the standing in court they did not have before. It's a huge headache for the league, and why I think they will ensure the Patriots win the SB to try to make it go away.....

If they try something egregious as pick the winner of the SB, then the league will have much broader legal concerns compared to a missed call.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 06:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If they try something egregious as pick the winner of the SB, then the league will have much broader legal concerns compared to a missed call.  

It worked for the Steelers in '05...
Reply/Quote

The issue is that the language of the rule the Saints fans are trying to get Goodell to enact terms it as "extraordinarily unfair."  That would suggest that there can be blown calls in the normal realm of bad judgement, but an "extraordinarily unfair" call can be grounds for the commissioner to intervene.  Of course, what exactly is extraordinarily unfair is completely subjective.  The only precedent for use of the rule came from Tags in '01 in a regular season game between the Browns and Jaguars.  Instant replay overturned a successful Browns 4th down conversion and the fans started rioting and throwing things on the field.  With 48 seconds left on the clock, the Jags with the ball after the turnover on downs, and the Browns out of timeouts, the referees decided to call the game.  Tagliabue called the head ref and ordered him to restart the game and play out the final seconds.  The refs had to go to the locker rooms get each team to get 11 guys dressed and back on the field so the Jags could take 2 knees and run out the clock.

This game is never going to be restarted.  Sports betting places have already paid out, and there's no way they are going to be able to recollect all the money paid out to redistribute it assuming that the Saints win.  They will grease whatever palms they have to to keep it from happening.

Personally, what it does is shine a massive spotlight on the league's massive officiating problem.  When senators and lawsuits are involved, it's not so easy to just stand behind your officials no matter how bad they suck.  They are going to have to take steps to improve things to satisfy the public.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 04:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote:
lol let alone all the calls during the season that affect the standings and the playoff teams in general..

and there were plenty of bad calls in the saints rams game itself.   You are right that not 1 bad call is the culprit.. but everyone will always remember the last bad call in a very close contest.

When I read this the first thing I thought of was that late-game, bullshit roughing the passer call on Justin Smith in 2006 that handed the game to TB.  I was at (ugh) a relative's baby shower when it happened, and even the baby knew I was pissed. In a season, no less, where one more win would have meant the playoffs for the Bengals.  And, who knows what happens from there if they'd made it (ok, Merv would have been 0-8 instead of 0-7, but, a guy can dream, right?).

I can't begin to imagine what Saints fans are feeling at this point.  We might have been robbed of a regular season victory in the example above, but, to have the SB swiped from you?  Man, that's gonna eat at you a long time.  That being said, the lawsuit is the definition of tilting at windmills.  This is the NFL, and you don't beat the shield.  It'll get thrown out, and the game will go on, as it should.  The real shame is if they don't take this opportunity make sure this sort of debacle never happens again.  If they do, then good enough.     
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:35 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If you listen to that radio interview with Lap, that Holic posted, Lap already mentioned Del Rio the DC. I know nothing is for sure til it's announced by the right people, but Lap seems to have the scoop....

Great to know Wedge, Lap usually is one guy you can go and say it is definately in the cards.

Always has been with Lap atleast the last 10 years or so, he is somewhat reliable.

More than anyone else.
Reply/Quote

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote