Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Look At Peter King's 180
The love this first month has been epic. Lets hope after Sundays game against the Seahawks the love only grows stronger!

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/08/hue-jackson-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-offense-andy-dalton
Reply/Quote
I have read MMQB every Monday morning for the last decade. In my opinion, King has always been fair.
Reply/Quote
We have to also temper the fact that regardless of the list of "buyers" or "sellers', the determinations will be made in January. Fair or not, that is what it has come to.
Reply/Quote
Bengals got blown out by the Colts in the playoffs last winter, Jackson said he told Dalton: "We're gonna fix this. We don't want to be in this situation again. Whatever it takes to be the best, we're gonna do. But it has to start with you first. You've got to do more than you've ever done. You have to be at the forefront of everything we do. He knew I trusted him, because he hears it from me. But I asked him to be different. I thought he had to be different.”

I think Dalton has stepped up to the challenge and will take us to a Super Bowl before he retires... althought fans may complain during the ride to the superbowl.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 02:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bengals got blown out by the Colts in the playoffs last winter, Jackson said he told Dalton: "We're gonna fix this. We don't want to be in this situation again. Whatever it takes to be the best, we're gonna do. But it has to start with you first. You've got to do more than you've ever done. You have to be at the forefront of everything we do. He knew I trusted him, because he hears it from me. But I asked him to be different. I thought he had to be different.”

I think Dalton has stepped up to the challenge and will take us to a Super Bowl before he retires... althought fans may complain during the ride to the superbowl.

That is the phrase to me so far this season...

Dalton is different in a great way.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:44 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: We have to also temper the fact that regardless of the list of "buyers" or "sellers', the determinations will be made in January. Fair or not, that is what it has come to.

hey its great this franchise is at the point now where we are waiting to see what we do in january... As opposed to

Well its october and we are statistically elimiated from the post season.

As PK says... You gotta play well in october to get a chance in january.
Reply/Quote
Totally agree. People don't realize how good we have it right now. Half the other NFL franchises have been up and down at least twice during this current Bengals "era."
Reply/Quote
If we win handily Sunday against the Seahawks, expect the hype train to be on full throttle in the media. When was this team 5-0? Anyone?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 04:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: If we win handily Sunday against the Seahawks, expect the hype train to be on full throttle in the media. When was this team 5-0? Anyone?

the last time we went to the Super Bowl
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 04:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: If we win handily Sunday against the Seahawks, expect the hype train to be on full throttle in the media. When was this team 5-0? Anyone?

We ran out to a 6-0 start in '88.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 02:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Bengals got blown out by the Colts in the playoffs last winter, Jackson said he told Dalton: "We're gonna fix this. We don't want to be in this situation again. Whatever it takes to be the best, we're gonna do. But it has to start with you first. You've got to do more than you've ever done. You have to be at the forefront of everything we do. He knew I trusted him, because he hears it from me. But I asked him to be different. I thought he had to be different.”

Have to be honest... I really hope it is long before he retires 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 04:08 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Totally agree.  People don't realize how good we have it right now.  Half the other NFL franchises have been up and down at least twice during this current Bengals "era."

Let it be known that I am not one of the "people" you refer to in your statement.  I have never wavered on Dalton and have even called out a few who bashed him to the point of being a broken record on the old board.  ([Image: 58390737.jpg] to CB and TJ).  And "yes" I realize I am not alone in this regard. 

Reply/Quote
Good piece. Thanks for the link. At the end, King says this upcoming game--playing an elite defense--will really show us how good Dalton is. There will be tests later on (just look as far as next week), but this is the first elite defense he's faced.

If we ride on the Hawks, I see no reason we can't run the table (besides a plague of injuries).
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 07:02 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Good piece. Thanks for the link. At the end, King says this upcoming game--playing an elite defense--will really show us how good Dalton is. There will be tests later on (just look as far as next week), but this is the first elite defense he's faced.

If we ride on the Hawks, I see no reason we can't run the table (besides a plague of injuries).

x2
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is the phrase to me so far this season...

Dalton is different in a great way.

Dalton has been playing like his hair is on fire. This is also what i wanted to see from him coming from TCU. I figured him as an athletic game manager. What he is doing now is awesome.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote

They have been 5-0 two times...1975 and 1988. Actually, they made it to 6-0 both of those seasons.

In '75, they ended tied for the 2nd best record in the conference (11-3). Unfortunately, the best record belonged to the division winner Pittsburgh, which left the Bengals with the wildcard...meaning they had to play Stabler and the Raiders, also 11-3, in Oakland. Even though the Bengals defense got abused...they only lost by a field goal.

And of course, we know what happened in '88...going 12-4 and barely losing the SB. 

Also, if my math is right...in the last 30 years, teams that started 5-0 have made the Super Bowl 42% of the time. 
Reply/Quote
I have to admit that since I haven't lived in Bengals geophaphical territory for some time it's nice to be able to tell people I'm a Bengals fan without having the feeling they were looking at me as if I just told them I also crap the bed at night.
Now it's more like they just think I'm a fair weather fan, but no matter. I've been a Bengals fan since I was a kid and it feels great now.

Someone told me recently they're a long suffering Panthers fan. They got nothing on Bengals fans...especially the long suffering part.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2015, 03:23 AM)grampahol Wrote: I have to admit that since I haven't lived in Bengals geophaphical territory for some time it's nice to be able to tell people I'm a Bengals fan without having the feeling they were looking at me as if I just told them I also crap the bed at night.
Now it's more like they just think I'm a fair weather fan, but no matter.  I've been a Bengals fan since I was a kid and it feels great now.

Someone told me recently they're a long suffering Panthers fan. They got nothing on Bengals fans...especially the long suffering part.

I finished my basement and put in a huge bar, which my wife initially complained about because she said it was "too big".  Now we have these game parties and that "big bar" is where all the food goes so everyone can just put their feed bags on and go walk down the line and graze.  She hates to admit she was wrong about the bar!

And my bathroom is all Bengals, every wall.  Tastefully done of course, even has a TV straight across from the toilet so you don't miss anything.

I too have been a Bengals fan since I was a kid and more than happy to incorporate that into my cave.  It's so much better when we're winning because she agrees to more parties.  Note: she's not a sports fan and would much rather be shopping.  But I will say she does like going to the games as long as it's a family thing where all the kids are involved, tailgating, the whole shebang.

Who Dey!!
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 10:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: They have been 5-0 two times...1975 and 1988. Actually, they made it to 6-0 both of those seasons

And of course, we know what happened in '88...going 12-4 and barely losing the SB. 

Also, if my math is right...in the last 30 years, teams that started 5-0 have made the Super Bowl 42% of the time. 

At the beginning of the season I said the Bengals would finish 12-4, not sure if it was here or elsewhere. I had completely forgotten they went 12-4 that year, coincidence? Also, cool stat on the SB percentage.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2015, 01:07 PM)GodFather Wrote: The love this first month has been epic. Lets hope after Sundays game against the Seahawks the love only grows stronger!

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/08/hue-jackson-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-offense-andy-dalton

In all fairness, teams makes the playoffs, not QBs. And Dalton has played very poorly in most of the big games and in all the playoff games. People were not incorrect in pointing this out. A QB can play really well and the team still lose, but that really hasn't been the case for Andy Dalton when it comes to the playoffs. The only defense for Dalton's past playoff performances is that the entire team played equally as poorly leading to questions about Marvin Lewis.

This weekend is a big game and we should have a better indication if the new Dalton is going to keep going. Currently I'm cautiously optimistic and will probably remain that way until we get to the playoffs.

Reply/Quote