Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking Ahead To 2024
Votto will be gone or at a greatly reduced pay scale. The disaster area of Moustakas big contact always injured and of low batting average if and when he does play needs to be cut loose, the sooner the better. Votto will be here in 2023. Probably also Moustakas as Reds Front Office refuses to eat his huge contract.

THE FUTURE of the Reds is all this good young pitching, but at some point they will want more money. This Young Pitching IS THE FUTURE to getting back to the play-offs on a regular basis in 2024. With PITCHING, you also need DEFENSE or the PITCHING is wasted. Bad Defense forces errors, making pitchers have to get 4 or 5 outs in an inning just to get 3 outs, and this leads to giving up runs which leads to losing games.

The Reds could have a nice team by 2024 if these young pitchers stay healthy. They also have some Defense and some young Hitters to go with all this Pitching.

What is NOT the Future is Votto and Moustakas. It will be a great day for Reds once they get out from these over paid contracts. Again, Votto will be here in 2023 and Reds look eager to have him retire as a Red with a Joey Votto Day that they hope sells out the ball park. His statue to go outside the stadium with other Reds Legends. OK, I get that. However Moustakas is NOT a Reds Legend, and the sooner he goes the better. Doubtful any team would want him in a trade, and it looks like he will clunk around Cincy in 2023 also. So 2024 has to be the CUT OFF POINT on these 2.

The Reds may even have a good team in 2023 due to their PITCHING. However 2024 looks more like the timeline for a Reds Turnaround. Once The Reds unload the Votto and Moose contracts, the Front Office has to spend money more wisely. They are NOT Poor. However going out and signing a name that might bring in fans is foolish spending. They should spend money the way Tampa does. Build a solid team and bench around all this Young Pitching they have.

I think The Future could be bright for The Reds. In spite of how awful 2022 has been, at least some good young pitchers got some innings in. They all took some injuries and time on the IL also. Maybe some brought up too early. YOUNG PITCHING looks to be the STRENGTH of this team, and PITCHING is what takes teams to play-offs and World Series. The Reds after Votto and Moose will have even more money to spend, but if ownership spends it foolishly they will not take advantage of all this young pitching. If ownership spends money wisely and builds a good young solid team around all this pitching, the Reds could be set to go Play-Offs many years in a row.

It is good 2022 is behind the Reds now. The Reds can do better than 2022. When in doubt, go with youth. The young players on this team have a bright Future. GO REDS into The FUTURE.

Now if Bell can't WIN games in The Future, he needs to go with Votto and Moose. It should not be carved in stone the Bell is the manager for the next 10 years. He needs to Earn his job. If a good young team can not WIN under him in the Future, it falls on him and his coaches.

I do see what HURT the Reds. They had a good team going before Covid. Almost no baseball in 2020, No fans in the stands lost the Reds a ton of money. Also no Minor Leagues. So for the most part the Reds have traded off or let go free agent every good player from the Pre Covid Reds that were in Play-Offs. THEN ADD to it the 2021 to 2022 Lock Out / Strike that kept Reds and teams from making off season moves and also limited Spring Training. COVID followed by LOCK OUT has caused LOUSY 2022 for Reds. Still, some good young pitchers came on the scene in 2022 for Reds, their best years yet to come. I think the Reds could be better in 2023, but 2024 is when Reds could be a Real Power for years to come. Now some might say Covid followed by Lockout didn't hurt New York or LA, but you can't compare cities like that to smaller Cincinnati. Big City Teams have Unlimited Money to Spend. The Reds are not and never will be as money rich as The Yankees. So Covid followed by Lockout hurt Cincinnati much more than New York and LA who went out and loaded up on players the small cities had to dump in payroll. But better times SHOULD lay ahead for Cincinnati, if not in 2023, by 2024 when Reds get out of Votto and Moose contracts to do more Rebuild or Reload.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm looking at the hitters who are up and coming. We have done relatively well with recent draft picks and done very well on the trade end of it additions. While it is still somewhat early to project with certainty, a lot of hitters had good minor league years. If you hit with over .800 OPS, that's pretty solid. There is a question where all these guys will end up playing and MLB.com has included their possibles in their profiles.

De La Cruz....His talent seems special. Had a .945 OPS this year. He could be a SS, 3rd basemen, or even a CF.

Marte...Trade from Seattle. Had an .829 OPS. A SS that could be a CF also.

Arroyo...Trade from Seattle. Had an .821 OPS. MLB.com keeps him as a SS only.

Collier...Very limited time but he raked 1.144 OPS. MLB.com put him at 3rd base, RF, or LF

McLain...Had an .824 OPS. MLB.com puts him at 2nd, 3rd, or SS

Steer...From MINN. Went .846 OPS in minors this year. MLB.com sees him at 3rd or 2nd.

Stewart...Went .851 OPS in limited also. MLB.com puts him at 1st or 3rd.

Encarnacion-Strand...From MINN. Went .933 OPS. MLB.com puts him at 1st or 3rd.

Hinds...Bat was so so but has power. Had .732 OPS. MLB.com puts him as a RF.

Allen...Had .724 OPS which is not there yet MLB.com likes him as a CF

Hendrick...Prior top pick not really great yet. OPS was .739. MLB.com lists him as CF or RF.

Acosta,,,From SD. Only .708 OPS after .915 prior year. MLB.com puts him at 2nd, or SS

Of the hitters, it all looks kind of crowded, but hopefully this is a good problem to have thing. If most keep hitting it will be interesting how the Reds field them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We have a lot of young guys so I'm not sure 2024 is the year to target for competing. As kevin said, managing the roster looks different with Votto and Moose off the books; however, I don't think we can assume it means time to dip into FA for the '25 season and beyond. I imagine Jonathan India is the next Red to get a huge deal for multiple years.

I doubt he gets Votto money though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 11:52 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: We have a lot of young guys so I'm not sure 2024 is the year to target for competing. As kevin said, managing the roster looks different with Votto and Moose off the books; however, I don't think we can assume it means time to dip into FA for the '25 season and beyond. I imagine Jonathan India is the next Red to get a huge deal for multiple years.

I doubt he gets Votto money though.

They need to find a position that he doesn't suck when playing it.

He was drafted as a 3b but they moved him to 2b because that's where Suarez was playing. I say he's a LF because I think that Steer will take 3b.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Let's see what moves the Reds make this off season. I will have hope for 2023 until proven otherwise.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote