Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking back at the 2018 draft
1st RD pick - Billy Price Center - Bust/back up
No way to sugar coat it but he has been terrible for the first two years of his career. This is clearly a make or Break year for him.

2nd RD Pick Jessie Bates Safety- Long term starter
At his best he is a top 12 safety but at his worst he is in the bottom tear. He has to be more consistent but he definitely has shown the Ability to be a Franchise stall worth at the position.

3rd RD Sam Hubbard Defensive End- Long term starter
Home run of a Pick; he is a do everything type of player who is getting better and better. Plus he is a future  Captain of the team.

3rd Malik Jefferson LB- Bust
Not even on the team anymore 

4th Mark Walton RB- Bust
Not on team anymore

5th Devonte Harris CB- Bust
Not on team anymore

5th Darius Phillips CB- High level Back up/ Borderline starter
Good player that produced last season when given the opportunity with 4 INTs. With Trae out of action it's a giant opportunity for him to solidify himself as a stater

5th Andrew Brown- DT- Backup
He has shown some ability when he plays his natural DT position. However he will be in another tough situation to get playing time this season with the recent signing of Mike Daniels.

7th Logan Woodside QB
Not on team anymore

7th Rod Taylor OT
Not on team anymore

7th Rd Auden Tate WR- Situational player
Any production from a 7th RD pick is good to draft one with as much talent as Tate is exceptional. I'm not quite sure how the Bengals will use him but I'm confident they will.

What I love about this draft- The Bengals drafted two studs in Bates and Hubbard. Both guys will be huge peaces for years to come.

What I dislike- the Middle of the draft has been awful. Having a 3rd pick, 4th Rd Pick, and 5th RD pick not even on the roster after one season is a disaster.

What I Hate- wasting a first RD pick on Price and the trade of Glenn. We could have drafted Derwin James instead and paired him with Bates to form the best Safety duo in the NFL.

All in all- We got at least two long term starters and two capable backups. I think it was a solid draft but it wasnt a great haul like the 2010- 2013 drafts were for us in which we drafted 3 starters in each draft.

https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Pretty much agree with your assessment. Price to me is our biggest bust in recent history. Yes, Ogbuehi was equally as bad, but I had higher hopes for Price coming in. I thought we would at long last have our center for the next decade. Og I had misgivings about from day one. And no Ross is not even in the same ballpark (at least for me) regardless of being a top 10 pick. He’s at least shown flashes of why we picked him there.

Hubbard is obviously my favorite pick from that draft. It’s just impossible to not love this guy. His motor is as good as it gets, and never take a single play off.

Bates, similar to WJ3, both need to have a bounce back season this year. I think they will if our DL is as good as we all expect. There should be a lot of chances for picks. And Bates probably have the best hands out of our starting secondary.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Well, Price has supposedly been hurt the whole time he has been here, and now is finally healthy, so this is his year. Time to fish or cut bait.
Reply/Quote
I don't think DeVontae Harris was a bust. Bengals didn't really give him a chance. He went to Denver and ended up starting if I'm not mistaken.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 08:49 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I don't think DeVontae Harris was a bust. Bengals didn't really give him a chance. He went to Denver and ended up starting if I'm not mistaken.

Graded out pretty poorly though (52.9) by PFF.

Reply/Quote
Expected Ragnow to be better than Price and that the Bengals would regret trading down rather than taking him, but didn't think the difference would be THIS great.

Figured it'd be more of a DeCastro vs Zeitler situation rather than a Watson vs Trubisky situation.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Price has claimed injury issues the last two seasons. If that's the case, I at least want to see what he can do at full health. But he gives us another mediocre season (healthy or not), and I'm throwing in the towel on him.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 10:42 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Price has claimed injury issues the last two seasons.  If that's the case, I at least want to see what he can do at full health.  But he gives us another mediocre season (healthy or not), and I'm throwing in the towel on him.

We know he had the pec tear his rookie year, and we know he had planter fasciitis last year, but you're right, it's time to put up some quality play or be shown the door.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 09:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Graded out pretty poorly though (52.9) by PFF.

While true, is a 5th rounder who becomes a starter a bust?
I don't expect a 5th rounder to ever become more than a backup/ST.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 08:49 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: I don't think DeVontae Harris was a bust.  Bengals didn't really give him a chance.  He went to Denver and ended up starting if I'm not mistaken.
Bust might be a bit strong but he was a non factor on this team.
(08-12-2020, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While true, is a 5th rounder who becomes a starter a bust?

Makes sense
What I expect from most draft picks
1st- Pro Bowl caliber starter
2nd- long term starter
3rd- eventual starter/Immediate role player
4th- High level role player
5th- Backup/special teams ace
6th-7th project/special teams
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
At that time I wanted Lamar Jackson. Once in a blue moon
Kind of QB. That draft added some good talent
On defense. Real value in Phillips.
On offense when your 7th rd pick is the best offensive talent
Out of that Draft....that's not good
Price is a bust. Which is funny cause he gets more
A pass than Ross does it seems.Price has been hurt and when
He's been on the field he's been a punching bag
For dlinemen
Reply/Quote
This draft could’ve been saved had they drafted Orlando Brown. Marvin apparantly really liked him and Brown fit what they looked for in tackles, but Brown bombed the combine which is why he fell in the first place. Despite passing the film test very well, we decided to go with Malik Jefferson who was even more of a project than Brown was. Brown was selected a few picks later and now he is a pro bowl RT for the division rival Ravens while we are still stuck with Bobby Hart.

Even though Price has been disappointing, he still has a slim chance and if by some miracle he becomes starter worthy, pairing him with Brown means we would’ve looked at this draft in a better light due to the offensive line finally being addressed long term and the 3rd round having two home runs in Hubbard and Brown. At the same time, though, if Brown was viewed that highly then we probably draft him at 77 and still pick Jefferson next regardless. Is it worth losing Sam Hubbard for a RT? Maybe. But Hubbard has been very important on and off the field in establishing this new culture.. It’s one of those “We should’ve won twice, but at least we got one” scenarios.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 10:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We know he had the pec tear his rookie year, and we know he had planter fasciitis last year, but you're right, it's time to put up some quality play or be shown the door.

I have plantar fasciitis right now... It hurts like hell the first steps out of bed in the morning, and after long periods of being off of it. When you're actually walking or running on it, it's really not that bad. Maybe it's different with a 300 lb guy pushing you. I wouldnt think it was holding him back too much.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While true, is a 5th rounder who becomes a starter a bust?

Wasted pick is probably more accurate.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 01:13 PM)jason Wrote: I have plantar fasciitis right now... It hurts like hell the first steps out of bed in the morning, and after long periods of being off of it. When you're actually walking or running on it, it's really not that bad. Maybe it's different with a 300 lb guy pushing you. I wouldnt think it was holding him back too much.

Yeah, didn’t Peyton play with it a long time? My wife has it, and it doesn’t stop her from going hiking, and other fairly active stuff she likes to do.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 10:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Expected Ragnow to be better than Price and that the Bengals would regret trading down rather than taking him, but didn't think the difference would be THIS great.

Figured it'd be more of a DeCastro vs Zeitler situation rather than a Watson vs Trubisky situation.

James Daniels was my pick of the bunch at C; although, I'll admit Ragnow has been more impressive to date. Difference is: we coulda got Daniels instead Price. 

What kills me in the 2018 draft is how good Baltimore did in the 1st 3 rounds. They got 3 Pro Bowlers. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 10:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: James Daniels was my pick of the bunch at C; although, I'll admit Ragnow has been more impressive to date. Difference is: we coulda got Daniels instead Price. 

What kills me in the 2018 draft is how good Baltimore did in the 1st 3 rounds. They got 3 Pro Bowlers. 

I was pushing for Frank Ragnow very early and very often lol.

Daniels would have been a solid pick but if I could go back and get one of my guys it would have to be Braden Smith.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Walton was not a bust. His character issues killed his career not his talent. Billy Price could still develop into a good lineman
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 04:11 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Walton was not a bust. His character issues killed his career not his talent. Billy Price could still develop into a good lineman

Players can be busts for a multitude of reasons. I’d say character, attitude, work ethic, etc are more common reasons than lack of skill. The skill is obviously there in most cases if they made it to the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, didn’t Peyton play with it a long time? My wife has it, and it doesn’t stop her from going hiking, and other fairly active stuff she likes to do.

I've never had it, so I can't say personally, but Price is not the only lineman I have ever heard of that struggled because of it.
Reply/Quote