Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Taylor may have learned at least one lesson
Myself and I know lots of others, criticized him for saying he didn’t need a tough training camp last year. Looks like a soft, poorly tackling team made him realize that wasn’t true. Football is football and you gotta hit in practice or you won’t be able to do it during games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/21/zac-taylor-wants-more-physical-training-camp-as-proposed-cba-moves-away-from-it/
Reply/Quote
Anyone else read the thread title and think it was about Taylor Mays for a second?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 02:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone else read the thread title and think it was about Taylor Mays for a second?

Yes haha
Reply/Quote
Fixed it. Looks like autocorrect must have thought I meant the month.
Reply/Quote
I called camp cupcake a mistake last offseason.

The D hasn't had much bite since Marvin benched the Oklahoma drills.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 02:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Myself and I know lots of others, criticized him for saying he didn’t need a tough training camp last year. Looks like a soft, poorly tackling team made him realize that wasn’t true. Football is football and you gotta hit in practice or you won’t be able to do it during games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/21/zac-taylor-wants-more-physical-training-camp-as-proposed-cba-moves-away-from-it/

except this year this less allowed contact in TC than last year....
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 02:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: except this year this less allowed contact in TC than last year....

True, but Taylor said last year he didn’t want a physical training camp, so I’m assuming he didn’t take full advantage of what was allowed. I’m reading this as, this year he will use every opportunity allowed under the CBA.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 03:15 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: True, but Taylor said last year he didn’t want a physical training camp, so I’m assuming he didn’t take full advantage of what was allowed. I’m reading this as, this year he will use every opportunity allowed under the CBA.

that really shouldn't have had to take a year to learn hes been in training camps before.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 03:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that really shouldn't have had to take a year to learn hes been in training camps before.

Hey, what works for one team might not work for another. I like it thought, He's adapting to his situation.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 03:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that really shouldn't have had to take a year to learn hes been in training camps before.

It's the difference between being QB coach, when your guy doesn't get touched in camp and coaching defensive players who need to practice tackling.

We always knew that he was going to be a project as Head Coach. The important thing is that he's learning from the errors he makes along the way.
Reply/Quote
he should just say first man to the ball brings him down, or fired before season ends.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 04:08 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: It's the difference between being QB coach, when your guy doesn't get touched in camp and coaching defensive players who need to practice tackling.

We always knew that he was going to be a project as Head Coach. The important thing is that he's learning from the errors he makes along the way.

He might turn out to be the next best thing as a HC

but right now it just looks like hes wasting our time.   He is saying lots of the right things.. but he did that last year too.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 03:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Hey, what works for one team might not work for another. I like it thought, He's adapting to his situation.

(02-21-2020, 04:08 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: It's the difference between being QB coach, when your guy doesn't get touched in camp and coaching defensive players who need to practice tackling.

What these guys said, he is young and learning to adapt. Nothing wrong with this. Makes me feel better about Zac.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 02:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone else read the thread title and think it was about Taylor Mays for a second?

Oh god dont ever mention that man again. Stiffest hips in the league could not turn to save his life.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, but he's starting out extremely low on the coaching skill set meter that he needs to be correct numerous errors this off season just to be up to mediocre.

Mike Brown loves projects. Sadly, very, very few of them ever rise to being decent.

Reply/Quote
I liked the Taylor hiring last season. I thought we got a good one particularly because of how highly the Rams spoke of him. A lot of people attributed Jared Goff's success to Taylor, a QB that had a rough rookie year but had a really strong 2nd and 3rd year in the league, both seasons that Taylor was an offensive assistant coach with the Rams (he was the QB coach in 2018).

That kind of pedigree is just really good for a rebuilding team.

What I hated, however, was hiring BOTH coordinators that have, literally, zero experience as coordinators in the NFL. Those two, in addition to the oline coach, felt like "buddy hires" rather than hiring the best man for the job.

I wanted an experienced defensive coordinator.

We'll see how their second collective season goes. But I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to cut bait if we have a second consecutive brutal season.

Having Joe Burrow will attract some really good coaching prospects. Perhaps Eric Bieniemy (who I wanted us to hire last season) will still be available next off season and we can on board him if Taylor continues to struggle.

But until then, let's just see how we do in 2020 and go from there :).
Reply/Quote
I am still 100% on board with Taylor going forward. He took over a bad team that had 2 guys at key positions miss the whole year. He will make strides this year. He was doing a much better job with the offense at the end of last year
Throw in a superstar QB and add some more pieces and He will be just fine..
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 05:53 AM)Tony Wrote: I am still 100% on board with Taylor going forward. He took over a bad team that had 2 guys at key positions miss the whole year. He will make strides this year. He was doing a much better job with the offense at the end of last year

As am I. Like I've said before, a lot of people are going to be eating crow about Taylor before it's all said and done.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 05:14 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I liked the Taylor hiring last season. I thought we got a good one particularly because of how highly the Rams spoke of him. A lot of people attributed Jared Goff's success to Taylor, a QB that had a rough rookie year but had a really strong 2nd and 3rd year in the league, both seasons that Taylor was an offensive assistant coach with the Rams (he was the QB coach in 2018).

That kind of pedigree is just really good for a rebuilding team.

What I hated, however, was hiring BOTH coordinators that have, literally, zero experience as coordinators in the NFL. Those two, in addition to the oline coach, felt like "buddy hires" rather than hiring the best man for the job.

I wanted an experienced defensive coordinator.

We'll see how their second collective season goes. But I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to cut bait if we have a second consecutive brutal season.

Having Joe Burrow will attract some really good coaching prospects. Perhaps Eric Bieniemy (who I wanted us to hire last season) will still be available next off season and we can on board him if Taylor continues to struggle.

But until then, let's just see how we do in 2020 and go from there :).

Definitely didn't like the DC hiring of Lou, wanted Del Rio but it wasn't in the cards.

With Zac talking about having more physical practices this should help though with our tackling.

Thought Turner did well with the O-line as the year went on. Trey Hop became a good Center under him and with the 
directional drive blocking Mixon was able to come into his own. I think if we add a decent Guard in FA and a sideline to
sideline LB this team could really turn around.

(02-22-2020, 05:53 AM)Tony Wrote: I am still 100% on board with Taylor going forward. He took over a bad team that had 2 guys at key positions miss the whole year. He will make strides this year. He was doing a much better job with the offense at the end of last year

Zac wasn't put in a position to succeed that is for sure especially with the injuries to Jonah and AJ.

(02-22-2020, 10:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As am I. Like I've said before, a lot of people are going to be eating crow about Taylor before it's all said and done.

Hope so.
Reply/Quote
Dont forget Clint boling retiring out of nowhere
Reply/Quote