Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like they young Wideouts will have to wait.
Bad news for Boyd, Erickson, Malone, Core etc.

Reports (Katherine ESPN), Bengals paid Lafell 1m roster bonus due today. Nearly guaranteeing he's on the team in 2018.

Katherine Terrell
‏Verified account @Kat_Terrell 1h1 hour ago

Brandon LaFell has a $1 million roster bonus due today (5th day of the league year)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think it's called honoring a signed contract.. I know many people are opposed to actually you know ...keeping your word? 
Nothing about this is a guarantee of anything other than paying the bills . A million bucks is a lot of loot to us mere mortals, but among tenured NFL players it's chump change . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 11:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bad news for Boyd, Erickson, Malone, Core etc.

Reports (Katherine ESPN), Bengals paid Lafell 1m roster bonus due today. Nearly guaranteeing he's on the team in 2018.

Katherine Terrell
‏Verified account @Kat_Terrell 1h1 hour ago

Brandon LaFell has a $1 million roster bonus due today (5th day of the league year)

Not surprising at all.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 11:42 AM)grampahol Wrote: I think it's called honoring a signed contract.. I know many people are opposed to actually you know ...keeping your word? 
Nothing about this is a guarantee of anything other than paying the bills . A million bucks is a lot of loot to us mere mortals, but among tenured NFL players it's chump change . 

For MB who gets paid the most starts and gets the most snaps. Thought we knew this? Ask aging players like Peko, MJ, Jones, Bodine etc. They aren't paying him to be inactive on Sundays. Which means he will be active while one of the young wideouts aren't, and taking snaps away from the other young wr who are active.

Reply/Quote
Well if Core has not broke out yet he probably will not.

Know he is loved around here but not sure he will be around much longer unless he steps up this year.

Boyd will still get his I believe and hopefully Malone emerges this year to make LaFell expendable in future.

See no real problem here actually.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
With Lafell eating up snaps, how can they break out? Why give Boyd a pass and not Core? They both disappointed their sophomore years.

Why faith in Malone and not Core? Core showed more his rookie year than Malone.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 12:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: With Lafell eating up snaps, how can they break out? Why give Boyd a pass and not Core? They both disappointed their sophomore years.

I'm actually OK with La Fell for one more yr. The guy is a solid pro and provides some leadership.
We just need Ross to step up THIS YR.
Reply/Quote
I've been pretty happy with Lafell actually. It is true that it seemed like they forgot about Boyd last year until the end of the last game of the season but I'm not sure that is "Lafell eating up snaps". I do think we shouldn't carry 7 WRs this year. Malone and Core feel redundant and honestly is anyone going to take Cody Core from us if he's on the practice squad?

John Ross is a bigger question. I mean, I'm sure we'll try to work him in -- after an offseason he should be healed up, better at the playbook, and any bad blood from the first year from between him and the coaches could have faded a little. They may try working him in running plays again despite the fact that the last time we did that he fumbled. Or play him in the slot -- he is our shortest WR but also supposedly our fastest so if he can get separation in traffic you could see some production there.

Too many guys who would be competent starters at WR is a good problem to have though. We know the Bengals rotate players and we know the AFC North is a hard hitting division where injuries do happen. We'll have 3 WRs on the field most plays and 4 or 5 on some plays. Especially if Eifert can't stay healthy which...I hope for the best but am not gonna be surprised by the worst.

Reply/Quote
Eh, no surprise here. I'm neither for it nor against it. It's just... Whatever.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 12:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: With Lafell eating up snaps, how can they break out? Why give Boyd a pass and not Core? They both disappointed their sophomore years.

Let's see, where to start. 

First Boyd has 76 catches for 828 yds and 3 TD's to 
Cody Core's 17 catches for 200 yds with zero TD's in same amount of time on team. Boyd was also a much higher draft pick. Many teams passed on Core. 

Malone had 104-1,608-14 td's in college
Core had…..83-1,297, 10 td's but played and entire season more than Malone. 

One was able to go pro after junior year and one had to pay all 4 years. 

Core played in 13 games this year and caught ZERO receptions. Guess that is disappointing somewhat more than Boyd who at least contributed something. 

Do not hate Core but just saying his chances are dwindling. And if he does not step up now ?  Then his chances are probably over. Or even if another WR is added in the draft. Malone is not exempt from this either but has had a year less time to prove himself. 

Sounds as if you believe he will not be given a chance so the leash is even shorter in your scenario. Personally think he will still be given a chance but it is now or never in stripes. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Bottom line BL is a solid vet. I like the young guys, especially Boyd, and Malone. TS, none are proven or have shown that they can make it through the 20 plus game schedule.
Just solid insurance. We know what he gives us, and so do the coaches. Plus, my guess is Andy likes him/his experience.
All good in my book.
We'll bring in some more young talented WR's and see what they have. They always do!
Reply/Quote
Why do you believe Core is superior to Malone and Boyd ?

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Marvin is sending a message to the young WRs.
put in the work and if you can beat out LAFELL you earn it.
LaFell has a great work ethic and approach.
he's a tight route runner his hands are good.he just goes out and does his job.his run blocking is solid too.
every good offense needs a LaFell.contributions that don't show up in the Stat sheet.
he's a lot better than the bums I've seen the last 20 years like Yeast Dugans Westbrook
Reply/Quote
Agreed with J22 on this just a terrible move on the Bengals part. I would get it if he was good but he sucks and he doesn't play special teams. We also have other options at WR time for them to sink or swim.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I figured he was staying if your not going to sign another vet, everyone else is unproven without 500 yard seasons. I say we draft a wide out round 3-5 we don't need a tight end now. This new guy will probably push core off the roster.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Core is superior. I think he deserves just as much of a shot as Malone. And I don't think we've seen enough of either to judge. I do think Core showed more his rookie year than Malone did. Malone played far more snaps then Core as a rookie too (on offense). Folks didn't use those numbers. Going back to college numbers is lame to me since we are talking the NFL now, and once you are in the league it's a new ballgame.

But if you guys keep wanting to see 30+ year old Lafell on screens, quick outs, reverses, shovel passes, and deep routes so be it. We need to see what we have with these young receivers. That's all I'm saying.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 02:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think Core is superior. I think he deserves just as much of a shot as Malone. And I don't think we've seen enough of either to judge. I do think Core showed more his rookie year than Malone did. Malone played far more snaps then Core as a rookie too (on offense). Folks didn't use those numbers. Going back to college numbers is lame to me since we are talking the NFL now, and once you are in the league it's a new ballgame.

But if you guys keep wanting to see 30+ year old Lafell on screens, quick outs, reverses, shovel passes, and deep routes so be it. We need to see what we have with these young receivers. That's all I'm saying.
Oh I dont.. I watch goodberrys breakdown and lafell is a problem at #2 ,and the one guy said he's a good blocker. No he's not even that. Lafell isn't a playmaker. We downgraded from Jones and lafell eats snaps because he's a vet and paid. But at least Ross is in his 2nd year,and the draft has a bunch of solid guys in it I'd draft one maybe two guys with 11 picks.

I was hoping to swap lafell out with another vet but that wasn't happening.oh yeah I'm kind of concerned about Ross , following him on social media he is so damn quiet it bothers me,and looks little .
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with us keeping LaFell at this point. We have a lot of potential behind Green, but Boyd is the only one who has had any real production and he regressed fromhis rookie season. He is a solid pro who has started for 2 different teams and has over 5000 career yards.

We areonly paying LaFell $4 million and if Ross, Malone, and Boyd look good in training camp we can release Lafell with zero dead cap space. I know soemof you will say that cap space doesn't matter by traiing camp, but remember that we often don't do our contract extension deals for guys who are due to be free agents next year until training camp.
Reply/Quote
I used to spend a lot of time in the draft forum and the guys familiar with my time there will confirm that I am not just a blind homer for all Tennesseee Vols. I watched pretty much every one of Malones college games and I think he will be a good NFL WR. The Vols had a very simplistic passing game. Malone would have put up much bigger numbers with a better passing team.
Reply/Quote
I like Malone too and think he was a steal where we got him.

Reply/Quote