Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like they young Wideouts will have to wait.
Not a bad signing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 12:36 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Let's see, where to start. 

First Boyd has 76 catches for 828 yds and 3 TD's to 
Cody Core's 17 catches for 200 yds with zero TD's in same amount of time on team. Boyd was also a much higher draft pick. Many teams passed on Core. 

Malone had 104-1,608-14 td's in college
Core had…..83-1,297, 10 td's but played and entire season more than Malone. 

One was able to go pro after junior year and one had to pay all 4 years. 

Core played in 13 games this year and caught ZERO receptions. Guess that is disappointing somewhat more than Boyd who at least contributed something. 

Do not hate Core but just saying his chances are dwindling. And if he does not step up now ?  Then his chances are probably over. Or even if another WR is added in the draft. Malone is not exempt from this either but has had a year less time to prove himself. 

Sounds as if you believe he will not be given a chance so the leash is even shorter in your scenario. Personally think he will still be given a chance but it is now or never in stripes. 

I see what you're getting at, but is that really a fair comparison?  Core was WR2 to Laquon Treadwell, and Josh Malone was The Man at Tennessee.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I mean no other WR has stepped up and made JoJo replaceable so I’m fine with keeping him one more year
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Have they gotten a chance? You see what Boyd did when he was given one..... So who's to blame for his wasted year?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Regarding LaFell, his snaps should be decreasing as Malone/Ross (whichever of the two is healthy and or steps up and earns it) work thier way into a more prominent role. Core should also get a shot, but I personally see more potential in Malone. Boyd should get first shot at slot, and if he fails to win that something is wrong.
Reply/Quote
This is simply the team honoring the terms of an existing contract. Nothing more to see here.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
It was a smart signing. None of the other players have surpassed him yet.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 02:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think Core is superior. I think he deserves just as much of a shot as Malone. And I don't think we've seen enough of either to judge. I do think Core showed more his rookie year than Malone did. Malone played far more snaps then Core as a rookie too (on offense). Folks didn't use those numbers. Going back to college numbers is lame to me since we are talking the NFL now, and once you are in the league it's a new ballgame.

But if you guys keep wanting to see 30+ year old Lafell on screens, quick outs, reverses, shovel passes, and deep routes so be it. We need to see what we have with these young receivers. That's all I'm saying.

Am fine with seeing them get shot but comparing rookie seasons when one had a great LT and guard to the next when they had a turnstile is lame as well. 

Do not care who emerges out of the bunch just need one of them to do so. 

My money is on Malone and yours is on Core.  No big deal and will salute you if wrong. 

But it is probably not going to be either because suspect John Ross to be used a lot ore this year. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 11:42 AM)grampahol Wrote: I think it's called honoring a signed contract.. I know many people are opposed to actually you know ...keeping your word? 
Nothing about this is a guarantee of anything other than paying the bills . A million bucks is a lot of loot to us mere mortals, but among tenured NFL players it's chump change . 

There's nothing in an NFL contract that has anything to do with a promise or someone's word aside from the guaranteed money. After the guaranteed money, there's really no obligation for the team to pay anything unless they choose to. If it was meant to be set in stone, then the contracts would be fully guaranteed.

Anyhow I don't mind the move at all. I think that a team like the Ravens would LOVE to have a Brandon Lafell on their roster. Having a guy who can go out and be solid is nothing to sneeze at. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 10:46 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: There's nothing in an NFL contract that has anything to do with a promise or someone's word aside from the guaranteed money. After the guaranteed money, there's really no obligation for the team to pay anything unless they choose to. If it was meant to be set in stone, then the contracts would be fully guaranteed.

Anyhow I don't mind the move at all. I think that a team like the Ravens would LOVE to have a Brandon Lafell on their roster. Having a guy who can go out and be solid is nothing to sneeze at. 

I wish the ravens would trade for lafell ,Mark up a couple w's for us
Reply/Quote
For $3m/yr more, the Bengals could have had Crabtree instead of LaFell.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 12:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Marvin is sending a message to the young WRs.
put in the work and if you can beat out LAFELL you earn it.
LaFell has a great work ethic and approach.
he's a tight route runner his hands are good.he just goes out and does his job.his run blocking is solid too.
every good offense needs a LaFell.contributions that don't show up in the Stat sheet.
he's a lot better than the bums I've seen the last 20 years like Yeast Dugans Westbrook

The only contributions he makes that don't show up in the stat sheet are those times Dalton is left scrambling because none of his receivers generate separation.   Lafell may be a good person, and he may have left the injury room to practice because there were no other WRs available, but he simply can't be the #2 on this team.  If he is a rotational guy and is just there as a guy that has played in some Super Bowls, so be it.  But you can't let the WR that gets single coverage be a guy that can't take advantage of said coverage.  
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 12:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: With Lafell eating up snaps, how can they break out? 

By being better than Lafell, I guess.  
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 03:18 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: For $3m/yr more, the Bengals could have had Crabtree instead of LaFell.

And THAT is a WR2 that could take advantage of single coverage.  
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 03:18 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: For $3m/yr more, the Bengals could have had Crabtree instead of LaFell.

Almost twice the money for pretty much the exact same production.

Plus Crabtree missed a couple of games withinjury last year

What a deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And THAT is a WR2 that could take advantage of single coverage.  

No he isn't.

Crabtree had 58 catches for a 10.7 average last year.

People need to loook at production instead of just getting excited over a name they have heard before.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 08:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Almost twice the money for pretty much the exact same production.

Plus Crabtree missed a couple of games withinjury last year

What a deal.

And Crabtree is a notable locker room pain in the arse. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 08:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No he isn't.

Crabtree had 58 catches for a 10.7 average last year.

People need to loook at production instead of just getting excited over a name they have heard before.

Typical Fred.  Your hands are dyed red from all your cherry picking.  

Yes, Crabtree had 58 catches for 618 yards and 8 TDs last year, in 14 games.  Crabtree also missed a game against the Broncos because of a bruised lung in week 4.  Up to that point, he had 13 receptions in the first three games for 170 yards and 3 TDs.  (projections simply rounded to 15 games:  65 receptions, 850 yards, 15 TDs.  

He also had 89 receptions for 1003 yards and 8 TDs the year before.  

People need to look at production instead of getting all excited about some new cherries to pick.  
Reply/Quote
Simple fact is Boyd, Core, Malone, and Erickson have all gotten snaps in the offense and none of them have earned Lafell's spot.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 08:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The only contributions he makes that don't show up in the stat sheet are those times Dalton is left scrambling because none of his receivers generate separation.   Lafell may be a good person, and he may have left the injury room to practice because there were no other WRs available, but he simply can't be the #2 on this team.  If he is a rotational guy and is just there as a guy that has played in some Super Bowls, so be it.  But you can't let the WR that gets single coverage be a guy that can't take advantage of said coverage.  

So since LaFell can't be the #2 on this team, we cut him and make someone who is worse the #2? I just don't get this group mindset here that LaFell should be cut when he is the only receiver we have not named AJ Green who can get open and catch the ball...... Shocked As you say, none of the receivers can generate separation, and LaFell has been Andy's bailout more times than I can count. Cutting him does not make Core, Malone, Ross or Boyd better....... 
Reply/Quote