Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like they young Wideouts will have to wait.
(03-19-2018, 03:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tab Perry
Bennie Brazell
Mario Urrutia
Freddie Brown
Dezmon Briscoe
Ryan Whalen
Cobi Hamilton
James Wright
Mario Alford
Cody Core

It seems almost every year this team takes a WR in the 6th or 7th round, and that WR get way overhyped on here. It's basically a Bengals Board tradition. 

I personally would've cut LaFell and looked for a vet #2 with better wheels for a similar price, but I'd rather keep LaFell than have zero veteran options.

Ross and Malone are big question marks and Core is a bottom of the roster type. I still have major hope for Ross though.

Who do you think is the leader for the Golden Binns Award of 2018?

Oh, and we could add Denarius Moore, Rashaun Salmonmoose and some other scrap-heap HOFers to that list too. It wouldn't be the off-season if we didn't judge our WR bench to be better than most of the NFL's starters.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bennie Brazell
Mario Urrutia
Freddie Brown
Dezmon Briscoe
Ryan Whalen
Cobi Hamilton
James Wright
Mario Alford
Cody Core

It seems almost every year this team takes a WR in the 6th or 7th round, and that WR get way overhyped on here. It's basically a Bengals Board tradition. 

I personally would've cut LaFell and looked for a vet #2 with better wheels for a similar price, but I'd rather keep LaFell than have zero veteran options.

Ross and Malone are big question marks and Core is a bottom of the roster type. I still have major hope for Ross though.

#DatMaxSpeedTho

Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Not sure why there's more faith in Malone then Core based off of what we've saw. Both late round picks.

Rookie years.

Core - 17 receptions 200 yards, on 261 snaps.
Malone - 6 receptions for 63 yards 1TD on 247 snaps.

I think if you add Core to the overhyped list. Malone should be on there as well.

But I'm sure we all want them to succeed, I'm just arguing they need more snaps so we know for sure what we have in them.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Bennie Brazell
Mario Urrutia
Freddie Brown
Dezmon Briscoe
Ryan Whalen
Cobi Hamilton
James Wright
Mario Alford
Cody Core

Tab Perry actually was a good player whose career got derailed by injury.  He had some great Bengal moments.  I don't think his name belongs on that list of guys who never did anything.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 05:00 PM)McC Wrote: Tab Perry actually was a good player whose career got derailed by injury.  He had some great Bengal moments.  I don't think his name belongs on that list of guys who never did anything.

One long kick return should not be enough to get him off that list, but since it helped us beat the Steelers I'll let it slide.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 05:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One long kick return should not be enough to get him off that list, but since it helped us beat the Steelers I'll let it slide.

He did more than that.  Seemed to be good for a good play a game.  Had over 1500 KR yards in '05.   Had a receiving and rushing TD in '05.  And look who he had in front of him.  Plus, Rudy and Chris Perry had good years.

Then he couldn't survive the devastating injury plague of aught six and it got worse from there.  He was a nice fourth or fifth target and a good returner. 

Bottom line, he doesn't belong on that list because he did show something.  Just didn't get the chance to do it for very long. 

He was a victim of the curse of the '05 draft.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 05:39 PM)McC Wrote: He did more than that.  Seemed to be good for a good play a game.  Had over 1500 KR yards in '05.   Had a receiving and rushing TD in '05.  And look who he had in front of him.  Plus, Rudy and Chris Perry had good years.

Then he couldn't survive the devastating injury plague of aught six and it got worse from there.  He was a nice fourth or fifth target and a good returner. 

Bottom line, he doesn't belong on that list because he did show something.  Just didn't get the chance to do it for very long. 

He was a victim of the curse of the '05 draft.

When 279 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs for a 1st round pick's Sophomore year is considered "good", that's when you realize you're nostalgia-ing too hard.

How can Tab Perry be good for "a play a game" when he had 4 rushes for 21 yards and 3 catches for 9 yards? Lol

He most certainly belongs on that list.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 06:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: When 279 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs for a 1st round pick's Sophomore year is considered "good", that's when you realize you're nostalgia-ing too hard.

How can Tab Perry be good for "a play a game" when he had 4 rushes for 21 yards and 3 catches for 9 yards? Lol

He most certainly belongs on that list.

Chris Perry had 51 catches in '05.  He had 600 yards from scrimmage as the BACKUP RB to a guy who rushed for 1458 yards on a team whose QB who threw for over 3800 yards and had Chad, TJ and Slim also catching passes.   Way to focus on one little part of the picture and make yourself look like an ass.

Tab Perry set the team record for KR yardage that year.  I never said he was a star, only that he did something.   But way to jump up and put me in my place.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 06:37 PM)McC Wrote: Chris Perry had 51 catches in '05.  He had 600 yards from scrimmage as the BACKUP RB to a guy who rushed for 1458 yards on a team whose QB who threw for over 3800 yards and had Chad, TJ and Slim also catching passes.   Way to focus on one little part of the picture and make yourself look like an ass.

Tab Perry set the team record for KR yardage that year.  I never said he was a star, only that he did something.   But way to jump up and put me in my place.

51 catches is impressive if that's all you look at, but you left out the fact that it was only 6.4 yards per catch, with a long of 28 yards. That is much less impressive. Let alone for a 1st round pick.

Giovani Bernard (also a backup RB) has never had less receiving yardage than Perry did in 2005. He's also never had below 8.1 yards per reception in a season, or a season with no catches longer than 30 yards.

Perry's '05 receiving year was very meh. He finished behind RBs like Reuben Droughns, Tony Fisher, Mewelde Moore, and Domanick Williams in receiving yards that year. All with much higher AVG, too.

In fact, Perry's yards per catch that year was 25th among RBs... out of 27 qualifiers.

Way to say other people are making themselves look like an ass, and making yourself look like an ass.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tab Perry was 11th in KR average in 2005, and was not one of the 11 players that year to get a KR TD. He set the team record for yardage that year because the Bengals had the 2nd most total number of kick returns in the NFL that year. Not because he was an amazing KR.

Enjoy "your place" or whatever.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 08:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 51 catches is impressive if that's all you look at, but you left out the fact that it was only 6.4 yards per catch, with a long of 28 yards. That is much less impressive. Let alone for a 1st round pick.

Giovani Bernard (also a backup RB) has never had less receiving yardage than Perry did in 2005. He's also never had below 8.1 yards per reception in a season, or a season with no catches longer than 30 yards.

Perry's '05 receiving year was very meh. He finished behind RBs like Reuben Droughns, Tony Fisher, Mewelde Moore, and Domanick Williams in receiving yards that year. All with much higher AVG, too.

In fact, Perry's yards per catch that year was 25th among RBs... out of 27 qualifiers.

Way to say other people are making themselves look like an ass, and making yourself look like an ass.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tab Perry was 11th in KR average in 2005, and was not one of the 11 players that year to get a KR TD. He set the team record for yardage that year because the Bengals had the 2nd most total number of kick returns in the NFL that year. Not because he was an amazing KR.

Enjoy "your place" or whatever.

Fine. Whatever.  Who gives a ****?  Get over yourself.

Reply/Quote
I was talking about guys getting hyped as WR's, so I'm not really taking into account Tab Perry's mediocre KR career. Btw, how did Chris Perry get thrown into it? If Tab were any good he would've caught on somewhere else. Btw 2.0, can we please cool it and talk like adults?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 10:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was talking about guys getting hyped as WR's, so I'm not really taking into account Tab Perry's mediocre KR career. Btw, how did Chris Perry get thrown into it? If Tab were any good he would've caught on somewhere else. Btw 2.0, can we please cool it and talk like adults?

Tab broke his hip  in the second game of the season against the Browns on a kickoff. Dude was legit he just had an injury he could not recover from.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 09:58 AM)Synric Wrote: Simple fact is Boyd, Core, Malone, and Erickson have all gotten snaps in the offense and none of them have earned Lafell's spot.

Spot on, I don't understand the lafell hate. Don't care how high the others were drafted or how much potential they have.  If they can't steal his spot in practice they can ride the pine.
Reply/Quote
Bennie Brazell
Mario Urrutia
Freddie Brown
Dezmon Briscoe
Ryan Whalen
Cobi Hamilton
James Wright
Mario Alford
Cody Core

add my former Louisville Cardinal Mario Urrutia to that list. Edit;  how did i miss him being the third name on list, oops

Agree completely that Ross is the young WR that I have the most hope for and like Malone as well. Liked Core but he has yet to step to the forefront and just believe he is now hanging by a thread.  

Do not love Lafell but he is serviceable.  

If calling for any young wideout to get time ? Would think it would be Ross. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 10:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was talking about guys getting hyped as WR's, so I'm not really taking into account Tab Perry's mediocre KR career. Btw, how did Chris Perry get thrown into it? If Tab were any good he would've caught on somewhere else. Btw 2.0, can we please cool it and talk like adults?

Chris Perry was a casual mention who had a good year in '05, though I was promptly put in my place over that because even anything mentioned in passing is subject to extreme review by the people who feel uber motivated to smack down anybody at any time.

And some people can talk like adults, while others are only interested in winning some prize in their own minds--the Snarky.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 10:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So since LaFell can't be the #2 on this team, we cut him and make someone who is worse the #2? I just don't get this group mindset here that LaFell should be cut when he is the only receiver we have not named AJ Green who can get open and catch the ball...... Shocked As you say, none of the receivers can generate separation, and LaFell has been Andy's bailout more times than I can count. Cutting him does not make Core, Malone, Ross or Boyd better....... 

The sample size for John Ross, before the so-called hidden injury and the whole "healthy scratch" debacle, was 2 pass attempts.  Two. For the #9 overall pick in the draft and the #1 overall playmaker in the draft.  

He is worse than Lafell?  According to who?  Marvin Lewis, and no one else, so nothing else matters.  We will simply have to table this logic that he wasn't ready to play in the NFL because he wasn't getting opportunities even when he was healthy.  

And your line about being Andy's bailout is ridiculous.  That is supposed to be AJ Green who is double-covered and Lafell still took advantage of this situation to the tune of 52(on 89 targets) receptions and 3 TDs in 16 games.  And our starting TE was out, and out slot receiver was in someone's dog house or injured.  

Cutting Lafell would help with finances and it would give Core, Malone, and Ross the opportunity to show they are better.  You can't show it when you aren't given the chances.  
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 10:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How silly of me to "cherry pick" and look at the entire season.  Obviously it is much more accurate to look at 3 games where he averaged 57 yards than the other 13 where he averaged 34.

Rolleyes

WOW!  That is a whole 141 more yards than Lafell had the same years.!!  What a deal for twice the price!!

And lets just ignore that Crabtree averaged over 2 yards less per catch (11.3) than LaFell (13.5).

Crabtree is clearly worth twice as much as LaFell because you have heard his name before and think he is still good.

And one season, where he had a bruised lung, following a 1000 yard season.  Typical red-handed cherry picking.  

Just like how you quote ypc and total yards in two seasons (where Crabtree had the aforementioned lung injury, and was tearing it up before the injury, which, of course, you dismissed because it didn't support you) and also Crabtree had 25 TDs in the last three years (including the injury plagued one, no cherry picking here) and Lafell had...9....but that doesn't matter.  TDs are an overrated statistic compared to ypc.   Ninja

And Crabtree IS worth twice as much as Lafell, because that is what someone just paid him.  Well, not twice as much, because that would discredit your rant, but his salary averages 7 million per year and Lafell's averages 4.5 million, or 1.56X what Lafell is being paid.  But again, that would be using factual information which doesn't sound as good as "twice as much".  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 07:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Cutting Lafell would help with finances and it would give Core, Malone, and Ross the opportunity to show they are better.  You can't show it when you aren't given the chances.  

Core, Malone, and Ross all get tons of reps in practice.

NO TEAM in the league gives their #5 and #6 WRs starts just to "give them a chance".  Instead they all do exactly like the Bengals and give the starts to the guys who look best in practice.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 07:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Core, Malone, and Ross all get tons of reps in practice.

NO TEAM in the league gives their #5 and #6 WRs starts just to "give them a chance".  Instead they all do exactly like the Bengals and give the starts to the guys who look best in practice.

Ahhh, the default:  "Beat them in practice and you will play", and this in a case where we have actual video evidence of Ross torching the Bengals DBs in said practice...something Lafell has never done....and we still don't see a moron at the wheel being pissy because he didn't get his LB that beats up women and menaces with guns.

Yeah, it is the same guy that thinks Bodine is better in practice than anyone else (Westerman, TJ Johnson?) We will never know because we never got the chance to see them.  Boling wasn't a better option at LT and putting a different guard in there before the season was over?  MJ dominating at RDE?  Jeremy Hill was looking better than Mixon?  Adam Jones was practicing better than WJIII?  

Just stop....am I having a stroke?  I smell burnt toast.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2018, 08:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ahhh, the default:  "Beat them in practice and you will play", and this in a case where we have actual video evidence of Ross torching the Bengals DBs in said practice...something Lafell has never done.

All you saw was Ross running a basic route that LaFell could have repeated at any time.

And since Ross was the film editor he removed all of his mistakes.
Reply/Quote