Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like we finally found a decent number 4 receiver
Trenton Irwin. Always been a fear if 1 of the 3 go offense would struggle, Trenton Irwin reminds me a little of Welker or Amendola
Reply/Quote
He reminds me of Lafell.

Not gonna make even 1 AMAZING play but is always there for you when you need him.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Irwin is alright as a possession receiver. As we all witnessed, he just doesn't have the wheels to be a deep threat, as evidenced by him not being able to get under that deep ball that Burrow laid out there for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He was fairly decent in limited action last season also. He had 231 yards, 15.4 yards per reception and 4 TDs in 9 games (2 starts) last year. He was a good contributor yesterday even when he wasn't the target he was helping make plays. It seems like whenever I see him play he is defiantly a high effort player. He does make a fair amount of good plays when he gets opportunities.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
As a backup for Higgins, Irwin did what he needed to do, which is move the chains when his number was called.  He had a nice outing.
Reply/Quote
Irwin is really solid. Runs his routes
To precision. But really lacks that deep
Speed beat safeties. Notice the only time
He runs a deep route is off flea flickers
Hoping the safety bites. The WR room could
Use another burner.
Reply/Quote
Irwin is a solid player. Has great hands runs good routes and catches about any ball. He may not be a track speed star but he has football smarts upstairs. The long ball he didn't catch maybe Burrow just overthrew it a touch.
Reply/Quote
We gotta good #4 WR, He's recovering from a broken thumb.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We gotta good #4 WR, He's recovering from a broken thumb.

I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread. Irwin's success could have easily been Charlie's success if he didn't have the busted thumb. Jones, not Irwin is the player who will have more games like had Irwin had today in subsequent seasons for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:43 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I was thinking the same thing while reading this thread. Irwin's success could have easily been Charlie's success if he didn't have the busted thumb. Jones, not Irwin is the player who will have more games like had Irwin had today in subsequent seasons for the Bengals.

Also a fan of Iosivas.  He is growing into the job nicely, has good size and measurables and is definitely working on his craft.  The catch on the sideline yesterday was really nice.   Looking forward to seeing him grow.  I have a feeling he will be able to make the catch downfield Irwin was not able to collect.
Reply/Quote
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I'd rather have him in the slot than Boyd right now.

Boyd looks WASHED.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:33 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I know this is going to sound crazy, but I'd rather have him in the slot than Boyd right now.

Boyd looks WASHED.

He definitely has been a step slow this year. That said he did have a TD that got called back on the BS penalty this game though. He's been underwhelming for sure but has still made some 3rd down catches. With bow bad Burrow and the offense has been it's hard to tell exactly who all has been really bad.
Reply/Quote
My favorite thing about Irwin is that he's on the same page as Burrow. Each knows what the other is doing or trying to do. That goes a long way, especially when you don't have your normal mobility or margin for error. We spend a lot of time looking for the next Randy Moss. At some point it's important to realize that we've got our Randy. The rest of the guys just need to fill their lanes and help move the sticks.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:25 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Irwin is really solid. Runs his routes
To precision. But really lacks that deep
Speed beat safeties. Notice the only time
He runs a deep route is off flea flickers
Hoping the safety bites. The WR room could
Use  another burner.

That is why we drafted Iosivas. 

And why Jackson is on the PS. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 11:33 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I know this is going to sound crazy, but I'd rather have him in the slot than Boyd right now.

Boyd looks WASHED.

Pretty sure it's still the offense. Burrow looked much better, and Chase got fed and did Chase things, but still in that game non-Chase players averaged just 5.95 yards per catch on 21 catches.

Before Sunday, Chase was still averaging under 10 yards per catch on the year. Even with Sunday he is still 1.2 yards per catch lower than 2022 and 7.2 yards per catch lower than 2021, despite actually having a higher yards after the catch average than he did last year. His yards before catch this year are 5.5, 1.5 shorter than 2022 and 4.4 yards shorter than 2021.

I think the problem with Boyd is with such short passes being pretty much standard, Boyd isn't able to work the intermediate... because it doesn't really exist. Burrow's average completion only travels 3.6 yards in the air, 2 yards shorter than 2022, and nearly 3 yards shorter than 2021. Boyd has always lived in that 6.5-8 yards before the catch area, and now he's at 4.4 this year. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Burrow and Irwin had a really nice connection going on yesterday.

Kind of like Stafford and Puka.

Probably need to keep him involved and stop throwing to our TEs all together.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 07:15 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Trenton Irwin. Always been a fear if 1 of the 3 go offense would struggle, Trenton Irwin reminds me a little of Welker or Amendola

Irwin: 6'2, 207lbs
Amendola: 5'11, 185lbs
Welker: 5'9, 185lbs

Irwin: 18 catches/270 yards (15.0 AVG)/4 TDs before age 28 season
Amendola: 196 catches/1,726 yards (8.8 AVG)/7 TDs before age 28 season
Welker: 319 catches/3,461 yards (10.8 AVG)/12 TDs before age 28 season (Pro Bowl x1, 2nd Team All-Pro x2, 3rd place OPoY)

Irwin: 
Amendola: 2nd Team All-Big 12 in college
Welker: 1st Team All-Big 12 in college

Irwin is a much taller receiver, much heavier receiver, and with much less production. Don't see it other than "he's also a white WR".

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 08:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Irwin: 6'2, 207lbs
Amendola: 5'11, 185lbs
Welker: 5'9, 185lbs

Irwin: 18 catches/270 yards (15.0 AVG)/4 TDs before age 28 season
Amendola: 196 catches/1,726 yards (8.8 AVG)/7 TDs before age 28 season
Welker: 319 catches/3,461 yards (10.8 AVG)/12 TDs before age 28 season (Pro Bowl x1, 2nd Team All-Pro x2, 3rd place OPoY)

Irwin: 
Amendola: 2nd Team All-Big 12 in college
Welker: 1st Team All-Big 12 in college

Irwin is a much taller receiver, much heavier receiver, and with much less production. Don't see it other than "he's also a white WR".

He's got a "good motor".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 08:24 PM)jason Wrote: He's got a "good motor".

And he's gritty.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 08:24 PM)jason Wrote: He's got a "good motor".

(10-09-2023, 08:27 PM)samhain Wrote: And he's gritty.

Real gym rat.

Reply/Quote