Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorenzen one of the most intriguing players this season
You don't hear of too many pitchers being considered for position player spots while still pitching. Nobody is suggesting he become a regular position player, but if he hits a real rough patch on the mound he may just become a pretty solid bench player in addition to spot starts, long relief and possibly closing duties as well. Lorenzen is a really nice problem to have even though it would be wonderful if everything on the mound falls into place for him this year.
It's always great to have a guy in the #9 spot who can also clear the bases any time he's up to bat..(well, not EVERY time, but enough)
I can't remember the last pitcher the Reds had with so much all around athleticism who could also hit for power..  It would be absurd to suggest he'll hit 15 HR's, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility either. He makes for quite an intriguing player.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes he's a very versatile player and it would be nice to keep him around. If memory serves he had the best ERA on the staff, granted with limited innings.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 10:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes he's a very versatile player and it would be nice to keep him around. If memory serves he had the best ERA on the staff, granted with limited innings.

Lorenzen?  Is he related to the fat guy that used to play QB?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They used to use Micah owings as a pinch hitter. Don't know if he could field any position but he could sure hit. Career .283 batting average and .502 slugging.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 10:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They used to use Micah owings as a pinch hitter.  Don't know if he could field any position but he could sure hit.  Career .283 batting average and .502 slugging.

You might have to go back to high school days, but most pitchers, especially ones who can hit, played somewhere on the days they didn't pitch so they'd be in the lineup. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 10:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They used to use Micah owings as a pinch hitter. Don't know if he could field any position but he could sure hit. Career .283 batting average and .502 slugging.

He could play the outfield. Arizona used him there a few times.
Reply/Quote
...and because of Lorenzen the spell checker on my computer now recognizes the word intriguing.. I know..important stuff, huh? I should be able to spell it right off the top of my head, but it's just one of those words I've always gotten wrong.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/michael-lorenzen-makes-spring-2-way-debut

He's out there doing it
Reply/Quote
Another very interesting prospect even though hes only at the rookie level right now is centerfielder Mariel Bautista, a free agent signee from the Dominican Republic.. He's only been hitting in the .330 range and a 89% stolen base rate. Here's his line from redsminorleages.com https://redsminorleagues.com/2018/11/26/cincinnati-reds-11-prospect-mariel-bautista/
I expect he'll rise up in the minor leagues rapidly if all goes well.. He was in Reds ST camp last night playing RF.. 

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:49 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/michael-lorenzen-makes-spring-2-way-debut

He's out there doing it

I sooooo love this idea even if it doesn't work out.  Cool Cool 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 09:35 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I sooooo love this idea even if it doesn't work out.  Cool Cool 

I've been kind of wondering if his pitching arm goes to hell if he's end up as a position player instead.. He played CF in college and was pretty good at it to boot.. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's run this through the old noodle.. 

Reply/Quote