Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorenzo Carter Linebacker Georgia
I know many fans think Bengals need a backer, as do I.  My favorite prospect outside of Smith and Edumunds is Lorenzo Carter.  He is predicted to go rounds 2-3 but I think he may be there later.  I really like his aggression and sound techniques.  Here are some measurable characteristics:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lorenzo-carter?id=32462018-0002-5601-5036-eb588e2850ea

6'6"  250 pounds with 36" arms.    

Overview
Carter was a five-star prospect and one of the most heralded players in the nation when he was recruited by Georgia but he never made the impact expected of him as a Bulldog. However, Carter played with increased toughness and confidence this year and his NFL potential began to reassert itself once again. Carter is an outside linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3 with sideline-to-sideline range and the tools to become a productive edge rusher in sub-packages. He needs to add more bulk, but he is a future NFL starter.

Strengths

Tremendously long and rangy
Long strider with ability to cover ground quickly and close on wide flowing plays
Effective use of arm length
Consistent punch and separation against blocks
Takes contain responsibilities seriously
Plus quickness in lateral slides
Frame unravels to catch running backs who think they are in the clear
Uses long-arm stab to access blocker's frame and set the edge
Build-up speed creates downfield angles to the sideline to challenge ball carriers and receivers after catch
Active as tackler to search for and yank at the football
Forced and recovered six career fumbles
Has edge-threatening get-off
Uses slinky upper body to slide around blocker's punch
Flashes talent to flip hips around the arc and flatten to the quarterback
Posted 15 career sacks

Weaknesses

Gangly frame begging for more weight and muscle
Thin legs offer subpar base
Long tackles can neutralize his length and push him around
Not ready to handle downhill rushing attack headed for his doorstep
Herd tackler with just moderate solo numbers
More of a straight-line mover than expected
Rush can be too easily stalled when rushing as an end
Slow to activate hands as a pass rusher
Will need to develop rush plan and hand usage to counter his lack of play strength
Not enough boom for conversion of speed to power
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't know anything about him, but just looking at his size, he will be a 4-3 DE in the NFL and will need to put on weight.

EDIT:* I should really read the whole post before posting; guess NFL.com agrees lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 10:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't know anything about him, but just looking at his size, he will be a 4-3 DE in the NFL and will need to put on weight.

EDIT:* I should really read the whole post before posting; guess NFL.com agrees lol.

I was thinking the same thing, DE.  Don't know a whole lot about him though, would he be an upgrade over Lawson or Willis? 
Reply/Quote
Some think he could go in the 1st
Reply/Quote
Given his length and being from Georgia, this guy seems like a natural fit with the Bengals. Haslett and Lewis were at Georgia Pro Day (may have been focusing on Roquan Smith), but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Carter in stripes if he still available in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
Lorenzo Carter | 6'6 | 250 | EDGE/OLB | Georgia - I list Carter as an EDGE because he often played out of a 2-point stance at the LOS. He has nice length and runs the arc with good fluidity and bend. While he fits the mold of a 3-4 OLB, I'd have no reservations with him playing an off-ball LB role in a 4-3. He's quick in space and shows well with all types of plays. While long, he holds up well against the run and gives great chase when in pursuit. He's an every down LB in my book.

Some think he could be a linebacker.
Reply/Quote
One of my top 3-4 lbers. Dude has second best bend in this class after Landry, but is inconsistent.
Reply/Quote
Here is some video:

I really hope the Bengals grab this guy.  I will pimping him until draft day.

-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
He is a 3-4 outside LB or at best a 4-3 SAM for us which is basically the same thing we are trying to do with Lawson already. No real fit here.
Reply/Quote
Reps Psychdoctor, remember this guy popping off the TV when i watched Georgia last year. Has that great length and if he
can grow into his body could be a star at the next level, i know he seems more like an edge rusher but we need that too as
well as a SAM backer. I think this guy could do both unlike Lawson. Lorenzo Carter is a great sleeper in this Draft.

Would love to grab him with one of our 3rd round picks. Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 01:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is a 3-4 outside LB or at best a 4-3 SAM for us which is basically the same thing we are trying to do with Lawson already. No real fit here.

I don't know man, better in coverage than Lawson and can stop the run better...
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 01:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is a 3-4 outside LB or at best a 4-3 SAM for us which is basically the same thing we are trying to do with Lawson already. No real fit here.

I would play Carter over Vigil or Evans at SAM.  Lawson will take over RE for MJ or at least rotate Willis on right side.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 01:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would play Carter over Vigil or Evans at SAM.  Lawson will take over RE for MJ or at least rotate Willis on right side.  

I mean, if he couldn't cut it at SAM he would be a good replacement for MJ too at 6'6" he is Dunlap's height just
needs to add muscle. Lawson is purely a pass rusher at this point and i think it is a mistake to act like he will be
our SAM backer this season cause he hasn't shown the ability to stop the run well or especially cover at all.

Rashaan Evans looks to be exactly the type of SAM we need but he will be gone in the 1st round and we need a
Center or Wynn there more. Plus Jim O has said we won't be taking a LB until the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Cannot think of a better player to take for us there besides Shaqueem Griffin.
Reply/Quote
I love "OurLads" drafting resource:

Ourlads' Profile:

There are freak athletes who look the part. And then there are guys like Lorenzo Carter. While it took the fourth-year senior some time to develop after being a five-star recruit out of high school, his grade improves week by week. He is now a feature, if not THE feature, defender on that top-tier defense. This is the kind of athlete that scouts, coaches and general managers alike drool over.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/player/lorenzo-carter/108148
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote

(04-06-2018, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know man, better in coverage than Lawson and can stop the run better...

Agreed with Au165 here, his best fit is 4-3 SAM. Reminds me of what I envisioned Manny Lawson being when Bengals signed him. Very similar dimensions to Lawson actually (6'5" low 240's).
If the Bengals are serious about developing Lawson into that true SAM role, Carter would be redundant, especially because it would mean using a Day 2 pick.
However, I agree with Nate that Carter is a better OLB than Lawson, and therefore would be a better fit at SAM than trying to develop Lawson there.
Best situation would probably be to move Lawson to full-time RDE and let Willis be a swing DE to spell both Lawson and Dunlap. Then have Carter as starting SAM. If he can prove good enough in coverage, leave him out there on passing downs with Burfict.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 02:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed with Au165 here, his best fit is 4-3 SAM. Reminds me of what I envisioned Manny Lawson being when Bengals signed him. Very similar dimensions to Lawson actually (6'5" low 240's).
If the Bengals are serious about developing Lawson into that true SAM role, Carter would be redundant, especially because it would mean using a Day 2 pick.
However, I agree with Nate that Carter is a better OLB than Lawson, and therefore would be a better fit at SAM than trying to develop Lawson there.
Best situation would probably be to move Lawson to full-time RDE and let Willis be a swing DE to spell both Lawson and Dunlap. Then have Carter as starting SAM. If he can prove good enough in coverage, leave him out there on passing downs with Burfict.

Nice comparison with Manny's size, but Lorenzo clearly has more pure talent than Manny ever did.

We need a 4-3 SAM more than any other LB position. I don't think Carl Lawson is a fit as a 4-3 SAM at this point. Lawson is
purely a pass rusher and i think that is how he should be used until he gets better in coverage and stopping the run. Use him
to his strengths, too many times Merv has tried to mold LB'ers into his Peter Boulware, never works out.

Carter actually sounds more and more likely the more i think about it lol

Merv's next experiment, hope he gets it right for once.

Lorenzo definately has tons of talent and he could play End or SAM, he should find a niche somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 03:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice comparison with Manny's size, but Lorenzo clearly has more pure talent than Manny ever did.

We need a 4-3 SAM more than any other LB position. I don't think Carl Lawson is a fit as a 4-3 SAM at this point. Lawson is
purely a pass rusher and i think that is how he should be used until he gets better in coverage and stopping the run. Use him
to his strengths, too many times Merv has tried to mold LB'ers into his Peter Boulware, never works out.

Carter actually sounds more and more likely the more i think about it lol

Merv's next experiment, hope he gets it right for once.

Lorenzo definately has tons of talent and he could play End or SAM, he should find a niche somewhere.

Not so sure about that. Manny Lawson was a first round pick back in 2006 for a reason.
Here was actually something written on Cincy Jungle by Joe Goodberry back in 2011 - https://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/6/2348325/covering-up-the-bengals-pass-rush-manny-lawson-scouting-report
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 03:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not so sure about that. Manny Lawson was a first round pick back in 2006 for a reason.
Here was actually something written on Cincy Jungle by Joe Goodberry back in 2011 - https://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/8/6/2348325/covering-up-the-bengals-pass-rush-manny-lawson-scouting-report

Maybe i shouldn't of said ever did lol

Way to make me look like a fool Ocho. Whatever

But then again i did it all to myself. Mellow Nervous
Reply/Quote
He's got Steeler written all over him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 05:24 PM)McC Wrote: He's got Steeler written all over him.

Oh God don't say that.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote