Losing Interest in the NFL
bum bum bumbum bum
THE CHAMP IS HYEAHH
bum bum bumbum bum
THE CHAMP IS HYEAHH
bum bum bumbum bum
THE CHAMP IS HYEAHH
Reply/Quote
I still love football. Guess that makes me in the minority?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1. The league punishes off-field behavior based on protecting its own image on an as needed basis, instead of actually being against domestic violence, drunk driving, assault and so on.

2. The league's new safety rules are more about protecting star players from missing time and less about protecting all players from CTE or enhancing game play.

3. Most commercials and advertising are really corny and try way too hard to hit every demographic checkmark and try to appeal to a caricature of what they determined is the average football fan. Every commercial break then ends with the network advertising their newest hit cop drama debuting later in the week.

4. *any given game ends* "I'd rather believe that whole thing was fixed instead of believing the refs being genuinely that incompetent"
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2019, 05:23 PM)6andcounting Wrote: 1. The league punishes off-field behavior based on protecting its own image on an as needed basis, instead of actually being against domestic violence, drunk driving, assault and so on.

2. The league's new safety rules are more about protecting star players from missing time and less about protecting all players from CTE or enhancing game play.

3. Most commercials and advertising are really corny and try way too hard to hit every demographic checkmark and try to appeal to a caricature of way the determined is the average football fan. Every commercial break then ends with the network advertising their newest hit cop drama debuting later in the week.

4. *any given game ends* "I'd rather believe that whole thing was fixed instead of  believing the refs being genuinely that incompetent"

Good points, well said.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2019, 05:23 PM)6andcounting Wrote: 1. The league punishes off-field behavior based on protecting its own image on an as needed basis, instead of actually being against domestic violence, drunk driving, assault and so on.

3. Most commercials and advertising are really corny and try way too hard to hit every demographic checkmark and try to appeal to a caricature of way the determined is the average football fan. Every commercial break then ends with the network advertising their newest hit cop drama debuting later in the week.

4. *any given game ends* "I'd rather believe that whole thing was fixed instead of  believing the refs being genuinely that incompetent"
This about sums it up for me. Just hard to watch. College is still great but the NFL can't get out of their own way. Just use college rules and college officials.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 02:20 PM)John Shaft Wrote: Looking forward to some matchups this weekend so I guess not. Check outside. Some kid just stepped on your lawn ! Mellow

It's true.  He was delivering newspapers.

[Image: th?id=OIP.V5p5tqA8euBtyoMNvJGm8gHaEK&pid...=287&h=162]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 04:21 PM)JumboTron Wrote: My interest in the NFL has waned ever since the playoff loss to Shittsburgh in 2015.  That game took a lot out of me as a fan.

Also doesn't help that the Bengals have been ass for the last 3+ years.

Me to

In fact it really started with the San Diego loss, the Steelers loss just drove the nail all the way home !

Speaking of the Squeelers I'm so fed up and disgusted with the way they've owned the Bengals. And I agree with a good bit of the OP. 
Reply/Quote
I yelled at people to get off my lawn when I was 25. It was recently fully graded, seeded, and sprinkler system installed. A $4000 investment for a young person is a lot of money.

The kids quickly knew "the type of person" I was. One day, when I was walking to get the mail, 3 kids were walking on the sidewalk. 2 in the front, 1 in the back. The 2 walking side by side weren't able to fit, so 1 walked on the grass. The instant I looked at them to say hello, the 1 kid pulled his friend off the grass and back onto the sidewalk. It was hard not to laugh.
Reply/Quote
Speaking of terrible officiating, refs just cost the Lions the Packers game with two pathetic hands to the face penalties. I didn’t have a horse in that race other than fantasy football (and I won so I should be happy) but I don’t watch football to see who the refs want to win. I could guess who they wanted to win with 100% accuracy.

Just a waste watching that game come down to two horrible calls from the refs. It’s not just the bengals who get jobbed on obvious “missed calls”. Leaves you with a very unsatisfying end. I feel robbed after watching that game and I didn’t care who won.
Reply/Quote
I stopped ordering NFL Sunday ticket to watch my Bengals 2 years ago. I canceled my cable subscription and stopped going to bars to watch NFL games last year. This year I terminated my 15 year running fantasy football league and haven't seen a snap of the product, and I'm happier then I've ever been.

The game is boring, my team is sh!T, and there's a million other things I'd rather do with my Sunday besides sit around wringing my hands over a bunch of overpaid Pre-Madonnas in spandex. No thanks .
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 06:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The NFL paid a pretty penny to blacklist that guy out of the NFL and you don't seem very grateful. 

Blacklist? Nah he's just not a better player than Nathan Pederman, Colt McCoy or Joe Flacco
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 09:36 PM)jason Wrote: Blacklist? Nah he's just not a better player than Nathan Pederman, Colt McCoy or Joe Flacco

I guess if you were Godells lawyer they wouldn't have paid so much money in damages to him...but hey, it's the legal system so we can all assume only verdicts we like were just, hard har!
Reply/Quote