Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing interest in the NFL
(09-20-2016, 04:16 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: One thing that lowered my enthusiasm was watching the movie 'Concussion'.  I recognize that all movies are over-dramatized to make a point, but it is a bit scary to think that the sport I enjoy watching could lead to ruining many guys' lives.  My brother has pretty much quit the NFL cold turkey over that issue, and that was before he even saw the movie.  I'm not there yet, but it has definitely tempered my enthusiasm.

Good point.

I got to a point with boxing when I was much younger when I just thought, I can't take pleasure in this. As a result, when UFC burst onto the scene years ago, I had no desire to watch it. I did get exposed to it enough that I will say I think the guys who compete in UFC show tremendous sportsmanship, I just don't take any pleasure in watching someone beat the piss out of someone else. Call me weird.

But, I do enjoy participating in skill competitions from shooting a basketball, to pool, to darts, golf etc. and as a result I also enjoy watching others compete whether at a high or a low level. And, there is a lot of skill and a lot of teamwork in football and those dimensions are really cool. But, head injuries aside, you have a ton of injuries to knees, ankles, hips, feet, etc. The idea that I am taking pleasure in watching people participate in an activity that may leave them significantly crippled (as well as perhaps cognitively impaired) is kind of bothersome.

And, as others have said, the officiating in the NFL is hands down the worst in pro sports. For me this makes the game really compromised. Even if I am watching a game with no rooting interest, the poor officiating always bothers me.

The other good point someone raised is the whole weirdness of being a sports fan. Not even talking about the face painters and the people who modify their home and their car to honor their team, just the regular fan phenomenon is kind of weird when you think about it. I mean, really, who gives a shit? Yet, next Sunday I will be watching, and saying "Who Dey." But, my passion for it is waning.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2016, 03:57 AM)count35 Wrote: Blah Blah Blah.....I've been a season ticket holder for over 12 years....until this year! Previous to that i followed the Bengals and NFL for over 25 years. I've subscribed to Sunday Ticket for the past 8 years as well. I've even travelled to see games as far away as San Diego, Dallas, Kansas City and at least 6 other cities!

I love how YOU can judge anyone's loyalty or passion and claim to "look down" on someone! I too have grown tired of the path the NFL is taking. It's a slow march to obscurity for this sport with head injuries and the like taking precedent. The game, if still around will look much different in less than 20 years! It already is different.

The things that people loved about the game are slowly being striped away. So yes i'm sure you'll call even ME a fair weather fan or even......god help us....a bandwagon one, but the fact is that it's just not the same anymore! My passion is for something that no longer exists.

Your original post mentioned none of that, it was only about your frustration over the possibility of being losers again....and I responded accordingly.

I don't want to do anything rash two games into the season, but I'm getting there, because the Bengals are giving me all kinds of reasons to lose interest. I can't be arsed to watch if the Bengals aren't going to establish a decent running game that works (i.e., like in 2014). Moreover, if the Bengals aren't going to do right, then they don't deserve to win. I walked away from the NFL once, and I'll do it again.
^
To many, that reeks of fair weather fan.

Secondly, I wasn't looking down on you, nor judging you. I am not a bengals fan. I was being the devils advocate responding from a 'loyal' bengals fan point of view. They wear a badge of honor for sticking with their team. They have scars to show for it ya know. "It's easy rooting for a winner" ya know...all that shit.
Reply/Quote