Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost in the shuffle....Zac Taylor is also making history
No other coach, dating back at least 102 years has ever been to a Conference Championship game after starting out with 6 wins his first two seasons....and some more interesting tidbits. Only Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson have similar success, but they won 8 each their first two years.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/1/25/22898468/cincinnati-bengals-afc-championship-zac-taylor-record-kansas-city-chiefs

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:12 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: No other coach, dating back at least 102 years has ever been to a Conference Championship game after starting out with 6 wins his first two seasons....and some more interesting tidbits. Only Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson have similar success, but they won 8 each their first two years.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/1/25/22898468/cincinnati-bengals-afc-championship-zac-taylor-record-kansas-city-chiefs

Let's keep it goin'!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:12 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: No other coach, dating back at least 102 years has ever been to a Conference Championship game after starting out with 6 wins his first two seasons....and some more interesting tidbits. Only Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson have similar success, but they won 8 each their first two years.

We would have very likely had 2 more wins with Burrow out there last year. So the numbers would have been strikingly similar.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Let's keep it goin'!

For sure! I'm glad the FO had a little patience with him, it seems to have paid off. You'd think teams would have a little more when you look at Walsh and Johnson on that list. 

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We would have very likely had 2 more wins with Burrow out there last year. So the numbers would have been strikingly similar.

I agree, I think at least 3 wins with both Joes playing...maybe more without all of the injuries. I remembered that Jimmy started out 1-15, but I honestly didn't realize Bill struggled that badly early on. Just goes to show, ya never know. In terms of Bengals history, Wyche was a QB coach that struggled in the college ranks....we saw how that wound up. Here's to hoping the current iteration of the Bengals have more success than Sam.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:16 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: For sure! I'm glad the FO had a little patience with him, it seems to have paid off. You'd think teams would have a little more when you look at Walsh and Johnson on that list. 

The Browns method of hiring new coaches every 1-2 years for decades is just way too exciting! If teams had more patience there’d probably be a few more names on that list. Everyone just wants instant success without having to work for it though. It takes 3-4 years to remake a roster, draft good talent, etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:21 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The Browns method of hiring new coaches every 1-2 years for decades is just way too exciting! If teams had more patience there’d probably be a few more names on that list. Everyone just wants instant success without having to work for it though. It takes 3-4 years to remake a roster, draft good talent, etc.

Agree....and I have no data to back this opinion, but it seems that it would be even harder to turn a team around when the previous guy has been there so long. Imagine what it'll be like in New England. I think a coach should get three years minimum, unless it's a complete Trainwreck. That firing in Miami was ridiculous.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agree....and I have no data to back this opinion, but it seems that it would be even harder to turn a team around when the previous guy has been there so long. Imagine what it'll be like in New England. I think a coach should get three years minimum, unless it's a complete Trainwreck. That firing in Miami was ridiculous.

The argument could be made (and I made it several times myself) that the last 2 years here were a train wreck.  Progress didn't look amazing from year one to year two.  I'd have to think it's a pretty low probability that every coach can turn it around in 3 years if the first two are stinkers.  I'm beyond pleased it's worked out for Zac and I'll eat my crow on asking for his head, but I wouldn't blame any team for firing their HC after winning 6 games in 2 years. 

Merv got Coach of the Year after taking a 2-14 team to 8-8 the next year.  Zac taking a 4-win team and bringing them to 10 wins and into the postseason most assuredly deserves that honor and recognition.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:36 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: The argument could be made (and I made it several times myself) that the last 2 years here were a train wreck.  Progress didn't look amazing from year one to year two.  I'd have to think it's a pretty low probability that every coach can turn it around in 3 years if the first two are stinkers.  I'm beyond pleased it's worked out for Zac and I'll eat my crow on asking for his head, but I wouldn't blame any team for firing their HC after winning 6 games in 2 years. 

Merv got Coach of the Year after taking a 2-14 team to 8-8 the next year.  Zac taking a 4-win team and bringing them to 10 wins and into the postseason most assuredly deserves that honor and recognition.  

I agree, mostly. I thought year one was a trainwreck...which I kinda expected, but not two wins bad. Last year I saw some flashes that gave me pause in wanting to fire him. I think that the injuries really derailed that typical improvement we usually see. Even in losing, they were at least fun to watch, which meant some good things had to be happening. Beating Shitsburgh with Ryan Finley kinda showed me that all of that culture talk wasn't just lip service. Then they went out and spent some money, and the rest is history.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:36 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: The argument could be made (and I made it several times myself) that the last 2 years here were a train wreck.  Progress didn't look amazing from year one to year two.  I'd have to think it's a pretty low probability that every coach can turn it around in 3 years if the first two are stinkers.  I'm beyond pleased it's worked out for Zac and I'll eat my crow on asking for his head, but I wouldn't blame any team for firing their HC after winning 6 games in 2 years. 

....and what I mean by trainwreck is an Urban Meyer kinda scenario. Back biting in the media, player arrests, etc. Not just losing close games.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:24 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Agree....and I have no data to back this opinion, but it seems that it would be even harder to turn a team around when the previous guy has been there so long. Imagine what it'll be like in New England. I think a coach should get three years minimum, unless it's a complete Trainwreck. That firing in Miami was ridiculous.

Yes especially if you don’t run the same system/schemes he did. There Likely won’t be many pieces for a guy to keep in that scenario and a thorough housecleaning will be needed.

Miami was definitely ridiculous, watch them fall back into a laughing stock now. They’d deserve it and Flores should have no problem finding himself another gig.

What’s really exciting about the Bengals this year is even the most optimistic of us still thought we were a year away from what has happened this season. I thought we’d sneak into the playoffs and maybe win our first playoff game to get that monkey off our back. Then fix the line and really be a threat next year. Didn’t think we’d be in the afcc game and feel like we’ve got a great shot to win it. This is all with a weak offensive line which we clearly have the cap room and draft picks to fix this offseason. Like I said the other day. Wait until we are defending super bowl champs going into 2022 vastly improved lol
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:03 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yes especially if you don’t run the same system/schemes he did. There like Likely won’t be many pieces for a guy to keep in that scenario and a thorough housecleaning will be needed.

Miami was definitely ridiculous, watch them fall back into a laughing stock now. They’d deserve it and Flores should have no problem finding himself another gig.

What’s really exciting about the Bengals this year is even the most optimistic of us still thought we were a year away from what has happened this season. I thought we’d sneak into the playoffs and maybe win our first playoff game to get that monkey off our back. Then fix the line and really be a threat next year. Didn’t think we’d be in the afcc game and feel like we’ve got a great shot to win it. This is all with a weak offensive line which we clearly have the cap room and draft picks to fix this offseason. Like I said the other day. Wait until we are defending super bowl champs going into 2022 vastly improved lol

To your first paragraph, that's exactly what I was driving at. This staff is definitely different from the old AFCN template Marvin was using. Which is why Marvin was still winning 6 or so games even though the roster was deteriorating. The defense is a bit different too.

Yeah, and rumors are swirling that it was over Tua. Now even some players are questioning the QB. No bueno.

I'll be honest. I didn't think we'd make the playoffs, let alone win two games! I really expected this year to be the equivalent of a year two turnaround. Right around .500 ball with a better defense and the offense making strides when the oline allowed for it. This has been on helluva ride for me. Who Dey

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:16 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: For sure! I'm glad the FO had a little patience with him, it seems to have paid off. You'd think teams would have a little more when you look at Walsh and Johnson on that list. 

I don't even recognize this place anymore. A coupla years ago awful names were bein' thrown around at the front office, and their Swiss escapades.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: No other coach, dating back at least 102 years has ever been to a Conference Championship game after starting out with 6 wins his first two seasons....and some more interesting tidbits. Only Bill Walsh and Jimmy Johnson have similar success, but they won 8 each their first two years.

And shortly after he was hired and spoke of his vision, I predicted he would be one of the greatest Bengals coaches ever, and people laughed and laughed and laughed. Yet here he is in his 3rd year already in the top 3.  Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:28 PM)jason Wrote: I don't even recognize this place anymore. A coupla years ago awful names were bein' thrown around at the front office, and their Swiss escapades.

It was terrible and many of the same are now slurping ZT's gonads now. Look, everyone was frustrated but things do not happen overnight and if they do the that's what they call an aberration.Unless posters have played some fairly high level of team sports then most don't understand what it takes to build a team's fabric/foundation and to have everyone buy in.

The first time I heard positive comments and reinforcement from Burrow towards ZT I knew this team would eventually turn the corner. Did I believe it was this year with this recent success? Hell no I didn't but I believed they could win 8 games this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:28 PM)jason Wrote: I don't even recognize this place anymore. A coupla years ago awful names were bein' thrown around at the front office, and their Swiss escapades.

To be frank, I don't either. I threw around some of those names, and was pissed off about the Switzerland trip. That said, seems this tiger did change its stripes.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And shortly after he was hired and spoke of his vision, I predicted he would be one of the greatest Bengals coaches ever, and people laughed and laughed and laughed. Yet here he is in his 3rd year already in the top 3.  Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey

I liked his presser too, but I didn't like year 1. LOL

(01-25-2022, 02:42 PM)higgy100 Wrote: It was terrible and many of the same are now slurping ZT's gonads now. Look, everyone was frustrated but things do not happen overnight and if they do the that's what they call an aberration.Unless posters have played some fairly high level of team sports then most don't understand what it takes to build a team's fabric/foundation and to have everyone buy in.

The first time I heard positive comments and reinforcement from Burrow towards ZT I knew this team would eventually turn the corner. Did I believe it was this year with this recent success? Hell no I didn't but I believed they could win 8 games this year.

7-9 wins is about where I had em pegged too. Damn glad to be wrong!

Reply/Quote
In Zac Taylor's 2019 Season there was very little roster turnover... Over the next in 2020 and 2021 they have turned over a very large portion of the roster. There's what 8 to 10 guys left from before Lewis? And 4 of them are special teams guys.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:50 PM)Synric Wrote: In Zac Taylor's 2019 Season there was very little roster turnover... Over the next in 2020 and 2021 they have turned over a very large portion of the roster. There's what 8 to 10 guys left from before Lewis? And 4 of them are special teams guys.

Let's see....CJ, Bates, Mixon, Boyd, Harris, Huber, Evans, Phillips, Wilson....I think that's it?

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: Let's see....CJ, Bates, Mixon, Boyd, Harris, Huber, Evans, Phillips, Wilson....I think that's it?

Yep, and all of them wanted to be here and play in Taylor and Lou's systems. 
Reply/Quote