Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lou’s Future in the Jungle
(01-12-2023, 04:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would consider LeBeau the best, I mean, he developed the zone blitz here....but to your point, he's probably the best since then. He's been a very good find for Zac.

Zimmer had some great defenses here, but they seemed to wither in the bright lights, and had a lot of high round talent on them.

Strong disagree. 

Zimmer never had the talent given to him that Anarumo has. He had to make do with defenses starting Chris Crocker, Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, Terrance Newman, Dhani Jones, Nate Clements, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson, Kelly Jennings, etc.

Miss on a draft pick? Well, I guess you're screwed, because it's either them or a garbage heap low cost FA/redemption project.

Meanwhile Anarumo they go out and sign Reader, Hendrickson, Awuzie, Hilton, Ogunjobi, Bell... all of whom I believe each got a bigger deal than any defensive outside FA I can think of under Zimmer's entire time here.

The reason they withered in the bright lights? Because in the bright lights you're playing better players, and you can only scheme to cover up having Chris Crocker and Tank Johnson so much before it becomes clear they're less talented than the guys you're going against.

- - - - -

Honestly even the OP is hella disrespectful with calling Lou the best DC this team has ever had. This year is Lou's first year having a defense in the top-16 (above average) in points allowed. That's 1/4 years being above average and 3/4 being below average.

Mike Zimmer was here 6 years and the Bengals were a top-10 scoring defense in 4 of them. They were top-7 in yards allowed in 4 of those 6 years, too.

The only two years where the Bengals didn't have a top-10 defense was Zimmer's first year, when they improved from being 27th in yards and 24th in points to 12th in yards and 19th in points, and 2010 when the whole team was a shitshow.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Are we sure he even wants to be a head coach?

Sent from my DE2118 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 03:33 PM)pally Wrote: So far neither coordinator has had any interview requests. Lou won't leave in a lateral move. Brian Callahan might make a lateral move if it means he gets to call 100% of the plays

You can’t be hired for a lateral move unless your contract is expired.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
IMO, our fans value our coaches much more than what may be reality. There is some chatter by talking heads but the numbers do not add up.

As good as Lou has been he has some real negatives.

He is not close to having the the top defense in the league continuously.
He has been in the league going on 11 years with 7 being as a defensive back coach.
He turns 57 this year.
He is white.

Which team would prefer Lou?

Broncos?
They obviously need a HC with experience. But if they did hire a coordinator with no experience, their DC has a better defense than Lou. He is younger, team loves him and and he's black. Hiring Lou would not be a great look.

Panthers?
Surely they are keeping their interim, guy?

Cardinals?
How do they NOT hire an offensive coach?
Would Lou even want to deal with Kyler?

Texans?
They have gone with defensive coaches twice in Lovie and Crennel, Culley was the coach in between these 2 without any HC experience and lasted one season. If they hire a DC it will be Ryans, DC 49ers. Best defense in the league & former ROY and Pro Bowl LB for the Texans.

Colts?
Have the #4 pick and will be drafting a QB. Do they really want a DC to lead a rookie star QB?

There are handful of former HC's on the street. There are more successful coordinators and some young high potential, former players, black assistants available this year.

HC's Available:
Peyton
Reich
Harbaugh

I don't see Lou being hired over any of these DCs:
49er DC
Broncos DC
Philly DC
Cowboys DC
Rams DC

Brian Flores ?
Leslie Frazier being rumored, has done well running the Bills defense?

These OC's will get interviews:
Philly OC
Cowboys OC
Lions OC
Chief's OC

I think Callahan has a better shot than Lou simply because of offense, but not sure teams would take a chance like the Bengals did with Zac.

Staley is on the hot seat with the Chargers and he was the last DC with no HC experience hired.

Reply/Quote
I've come around to liking Lou, but I really don't think he's HC material... He's proven me wrong before though. I'd say no way in Denver, and probably not in Arizona. Who knows about the other spots?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 09:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: IMO, our fans value our coaches much more than what may be reality. There is some chatter by talking heads but the numbers do not add up.

As good as Lou has been he has some real negatives.

He is not close to having the the top defense in the league continuously.
He has been in the league going on 11 years with 7 being as a defensive back coach.
He turns 57 this year.
He is white.

Which team would prefer Lou?

Broncos?
They obviously need a HC with experience. But if they did hire a coordinator with no experience, their DC has a better defense than Lou. He is younger, team loves him and and he's black. Hiring Lou would not be a great look.

Panthers?
Surely they are keeping their interim, guy?

Cardinals?
How do they NOT hire an offensive coach?
Would Lou even want to deal with Kyler?

Texans?
They have gone with defensive coaches twice in Lovie and Crennel, Culley was the coach in between these 2 without any HC experience and lasted one season. If they hire a DC it will be Ryans, DC 49ers. Best defense in the league & former ROY and Pro Bowl LB for the Texans.

Colts?
Have the #4 pick and will be drafting a QB. Do they really want a DC to lead a rookie star QB?

There are handful of former HC's on the street. There are more successful coordinators and some young high potential, former players, black assistants available this year.

HC's Available:
Peyton
Reich
Harbaugh

I don't see Lou being hired over any of these DCs:
49er DC
Broncos DC
Philly DC
Cowboys DC
Rams DC

Brian Flores ?
Leslie Frazier being rumored, has done well running the Bills defense?

These OC's will get interviews:
Philly OC
Cowboys OC
Lions OC
Chief's OC

I think Callahan has a better shot than Lou simply because of offense, but not sure teams would take a chance like the Bengals did with Zac.

Staley is on the hot seat with the Chargers and he was the last DC with no HC experience hired.

It’s funny as it’s like a starting pistol and it’s gone off. Too many are in a hurry. If the Bengals make it to the SB there are going to be a lot of teams wishing they’d looked at Callahan.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 04:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would consider LeBeau the best, I mean, he developed the zone blitz here....but to your point, he's probably the best since then. He's been a very good find for Zac.

Zimmer had some great defenses here, but they seemed to wither in the bright lights, and had a lot of high round talent on them.

LeBeau was a horrible HC, probably the worst in Bengal history.

"He was the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals from 2001 until the 2002 season, during which time the Bengals went 8-24-0. During his career he was a head coach for two seasons. "

[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 10:38 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: LeBeau was a horrible HC, probably the worst in Bengal history.

"He was the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals from 2001 until the 2002 season, during which time the Bengals went 8-24-0. During his career he was a head coach for two seasons. "

Still a better first two year record than Zac Taylor's 6-25-1.

Clearly LeBeau needed a couple more years (and Joe Burrow). Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 10:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Still a better first two year record than Zac Taylor's 6-25-1.

Clearly LeBeau needed a couple more years (and Joe Burrow).  Ninja

You dare attack the prophet Zac Taylor.  Mellow

[Image: large.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 09:15 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You can’t be hired for a lateral move unless your contract is expired.

This is not true. While the organization can block any interviews for positions with other teams (except for head coach positions) for coaches currently under contract, that does not mean that they will do so.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 11:39 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: This is not true. While the organization can block any interviews for positions with other teams (except for head coach positions) for coaches currently under contract, that does not mean that they will do so.

You are correct. I should have said if you are under contract you can be blocked from interviews. But I think you can’t be blocked if it’s a promotion. For example a position coach for a coordinator position.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:24 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You are correct. I should have said if you are under contract you can be blocked from interviews. But I think you can’t be blocked if it’s a promotion. For example a position coach for a coordinator position.

Actually the only “promotion” interview that can’t be blocked is Head coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 03:33 PM)pally Wrote: So far neither coordinator has had any interview requests.  Lou won't leave in a lateral move.  Brian Callahan might make a lateral move if it means he gets to call 100% of the plays

Bengals would have to approve any lateral move interviews, so control our assistants under contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:24 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You are correct. I should have said if you are under contract you can be blocked from interviews. But I think you can’t be blocked if it’s a promotion. For example a position coach for a coordinator position.

(01-13-2023, 12:28 AM)SouthernFan Wrote: Actually the only “promotion” interview that can’t be blocked is Head coach.

After further research, you are correct. The rules were changed in 2020. Can’t block an interview for a coordinator level promotion as long as it is a bona-fide position. Further complications were introduced this past year with modifications made to the Rooney rule regarding minority and female offensive coaching positions being required.
Reply/Quote
we went to the super bowl, the bengals gave an extension to Zac, when it was Lou who did his magic and got us there. They should have not given Zac an extension and instead replace him with Lou. Lou will go places.
Reply/Quote
There's always the possibility Lou actually likes where he's at and the guys he coordinates and coaches. I don't recall a time when Bengals players seemed to have utmost respect for defensive coordinators as Lou seems to have with perhaps the exception of perhaps Zim, but he left for greener pastures.. Maybe it's just a PR pretend love fest, but I kind of doubt it. Who knows? Maybe Mr Brown opens the piggy bank to make Lou the highest paid DC of all time. Maybe they tie him up till he retires for good.. One never knows.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:57 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: we went to the super bowl, the bengals gave an extension to Zac, when it was Lou who did his magic and got us there. They should have not given Zac an extension and instead replace him with Lou. Lou will go places.

Can't wait to see the passing concepts and route trees Lou would come up with for the offense, and who would run the defense?  You going to slide Darren Simmons over to run the D?  Maybe he would install a wide tackle six?

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 06:54 PM)TheFan Wrote: That would probably be the most surprising outcome to me regarding coordinator movement. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both left to be HC or if both stayed. 

So you’re not going to be surprised or maybe be surprised? Am I doing the statement-non-statement-right-wrong?

BOO!

Surprise!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 12:57 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: we went to the super bowl, the bengals gave an extension to Zac, when it was Lou who did his magic and got us there. They should have not given Zac an extension and instead replace him with Lou. Lou will go places.

That’s the funniest and craziest thing I’ve seen on here since we lost FredToast

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:28 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Can't wait to see the passing concepts and route trees Lou would come up with for the offense, and who would run the defense?  You going to slide Darren Simmons over to run the D?  Maybe he would install a wide tackle six?

I think Lou can run a team better and hire the right coaches and stratagize better. As for play calling, I don't like Zac making the calls. Remember, nobody wanted to work for Zac until Lou came and created the best bengals D ever and he's done way better with his side than Zac and Callahan put together.
Reply/Quote