Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lou Anarumo Deserves a Big Italian Dinner
Oh yes.  Lou Anarumo surprised me yesterday; I'm talking Piers Morgan watching Susan Boyle sing on Britain's Got Talent for the first time type of surprised.  That defense!  It was amazing -- and it's only the first week of the season.

Most of you on here wax eloquently about offense: Passing schemes, running lanes, jet sweeps, screens, etc.  Zac Taylor is well on his way to installing what may become one of the NFL's most explosive offenses but since I'm a defense guy, let's ruminate a bit about Lou Anarumo and the Cincinnati defensive staff because they came very close to holding Seattle to only two scores in their own house which is unheard of.  Even limiting the Seahawks to 21 points at home was an impressive feat and the sports media has taken notice.

First of all, I saw tackling; you know, real wrap and-and-drive form tackling.  Nick Vigil's stick against Chris Carson was epic. Let's look at run statistics next.  The Seahawks had 72 yards on the ground.  This is due to improved tackling for the most part but also due to the outside linebackers making edge rushes nearly impossible.

Stunts?  What stunts?  Prior to Lou Anarumo coming to Cincinnati I hadn't seen defensive line stunts since Mike Zimmer was here.  The Seattle offensive line was banged up but what the Bengals did to disrupt their pass blocking with stunts was great.  Russell Wilson was running for his life and the Bengals sacked him four times and hurried him more often than that.

Okay, the linebackers could have played a smidge faster but they are much speedier than last season already.  In 2018 you could time their 40 yard dash with a sundial.  The secondary is vastly improved already and they're going to get better as the new defensive schemes "gel."

Lou Anarumo is definitely creative.  I saw formations composed of 5-2-4, 3-4-4, 4-3-4, 4-2-5, and 3-3-5.  It was almost like Cincinnati changed defensive schemes every series and sometimes they would switch between plays. This is going to be exciting to watch as the season progresses.

So, if anyone knows how to contact Lou Anarumo, tell him Fan-in-Kettering will treat him to a big Italian dinner at Mamma DiSalvo here in Kettering and we can even speak Italian if he wants.  Mamma DiSalvo isn't New York quality Italian food.  It's better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He had them guys coached up.
Reply/Quote
To think, a lot of people were shitting on the signing just because he had an unknown factor or wasn’t big name or the first choice...
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 06:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes.  Lou Anarumo surprised me yesterday; I'm talking Piers Morgan watching Susan Boyle sing on Britain's Got Talent for the first time type of surprised.  That defense!  It was amazing -- and it's only the first week of the season.

Most of you on here wax eloquently about offense: Passing schemes, running lanes, jet sweeps, screens, etc.  Zac Taylor is well on his way to installing what may become one of the NFL's most explosive offenses but since I'm a defense guy, let's ruminate a bit about Lou Anarumo and the Cincinnati defensive staff because they came very close to holding Seattle to only two scores in their own house which is unheard of.  Even limiting the Seahawks to 21 points at home was an impressive feat and the sports media has taken notice.

First of all, I saw tackling; you know, real wrap and-and-drive form tackling.  Nick Vigil's stick against Chris Carter was epic. Let's look at run statistics next.  The Seahawks had 72 yards on the ground.  This is due to improved tackling for the most part but also due to the outside linebackers making edge rushes nearly impossible.

Stunts?  What stunts?  Prior to Lou Anarumo coming to Cincinnati I hadn't seen defensive line stunts since Mike Zimmer was here.  The Seattle offensive line was banged up but what the Bengals did to disrupt their pass blocking with stunts was great.  Russell Wilson was running for his life and the Bengals sacked him four times and hurried him more often than that.

Okay, the linebackers could have played a smidge faster but they are much speedier than last season already.  In 2018 you could time their 40 yard dash with a sundial.  The secondary is vastly improved already and they're going to get better as the new defensive schemes "gel."

Lou Anarumo is definitely creative.  I saw formations composed of 5-2-4, 3-4-4, 4-3-4, 4-2-5, and 3-3-5.  It was almost like Cincinnati changed defensive schemes every series and sometimes they would switch between plays. This is going to be exciting to watch as the season progresses.

So, if anyone knows how to contact Lou Anarumo, tell him Fan-in-Kettering will treat him to a big Italian dinner at Mamma DiSalvo here in Kettering and we can even speak Italian if he wants.  Mamma DiSalvo isn't New York quality Italian food.  It's better.

I’m half Italian myself, and grew up on homemade Italian food, as well as having the pleasure of eating some top notch Italian in NYC. That’s a BOLD statement right there. I’ll have to check it out sometime.

Reply/Quote
I cant hear the guy's name without thinking of that radio commercial that promises to get even porky guys on blood pressure medication a life insurance policy. You just gotta call "Big Lou."

Fuhgeddaboudit.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
The defense was extremely impressive. The tackling was great and our huys were't flying all over the place aimlessly like previous years. I about guarantee Dre K does not make that same mistake again. Lou had some things to prove as move as every player on that field and he has these guys disciplined up and focused more than I've seen in a long time.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 06:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: So, if anyone knows how to contact Lou Anarumo, tell him Fan-in-Kettering will treat him to a big Italian dinner at Mamma DiSalvo here in Kettering and we can even speak Italian if he wants.  Mamma DiSalvo isn't New York quality Italian food.  It's better.

We've never eaten there, mostly because it's usually packed when we drive by.  Now, I know that's supposed to be a great indicator of a restaurant's quality, but, we've been fooled by that before.  

Being from Kettering, I'm sure you've heard of the Golden Nugget Pancake House.  It's legendary around these parts, and the parking lot was always packed at breakfast time, so some years ago the wife and I decided to check it out.  They bring out the pancakes (Frisch's are better) and they set down the syrup.  The syrup was watery, like, maybe someone forgot to boil down the tree sap.  I look around and everyone is drenching their food in this disgusting, watery shit.  And, I'm thinking, 'what the hell is wrong with these people?'  We paid the bill and left hungry.  Later, there was a fire that I had nothing to do with  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Coach Lou made a nice debut, indeed. The DL played lights out, the LBs look much improved, the Safeties played fearless and with an edge to them. Now, if he can only reach the inner child that is Dre K, and teach him to keep his head down, eyes forward, and let his play on the field do the talking, we might have a defense like we haven't seen since 2015.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Coach Lou made a nice debut, indeed.  The DL played lights out, the LBs look much improved, the Safeties played fearless and with an edge to them.  Now, if he can only reach the inner child that is Dre K, and teach him to keep his head down, eyes forward, and let his play on the field do the talking, we might have a defense like we haven't seen since 2015.

Dre does need some work. But his play seemed escalated yesterday to something we have seen from him often. He seemed focused and was in on many plays. I'm not a fan of Dre but I will give him respect when due.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 06:50 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Being from Kettering, I'm sure you've heard of the Golden Nugget Pancake House.  It's legendary around these parts, and the parking lot was always packed at breakfast time, so some years ago the wife and I decided to check it out.  They bring out the pancakes (Frisch's are better) and they set down the syrup.  The syrup was watery, like, maybe someone forgot to boil down the tree sap.  I look around and everyone is drenching their food in this disgusting, watery shit.  And, I'm thinking, 'what the hell is wrong with these people?'  We paid the bill and left hungry.  Later, there was a fire that I had nothing to do with  Mellow

I could tee up a golf ball from my front lawn and hit the parking lot of the Golden Nugget Pancake House with a well struck drive.  I've never had their pancakes -- gluten issues -- but their egg and omelet selections are amazing.  The syrup is too thin; you're right about that.  If you want a great breakfast -- including tasty gluten-free pancakes -- try Another Broken Egg Cafe in either Beavercreek or at I-75 and Austin Landing.
Reply/Quote
They need to finish better 2 of the three touchdowns were unacceptable. They had Carson dead too rights on one but missed 3 or 4 tacklels and Lockett was wide open on a miscommunication for 40 + yards.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 07:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They need to finish better 2 of the three touchdowns were unacceptable. They had Carson dead too rights on one but missed 3 or 4 tacklels and Lockett was wide open on a miscommunication for 40 + yards.

Yes, but that was like every other play last year. They looked good. Just admit it.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 07:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They need to finish better 2 of the three touchdowns were unacceptable. They had Carson dead too rights on one but missed 3 or 4 tacklels and Lockett was wide open on a miscommunication for 40 + yards.

I don't know if I would call Lockett's TD a miscommunication or not. It looked to me like Bates bit on the play action. I don't think that will happen again either!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 06:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Coach Lou made a nice debut, indeed.  The DL played lights out, the LBs look much improved, the Safeties played fearless and with an edge to them.  Now, if he can only reach the inner child that is Dre K, and teach him to keep his head down, eyes forward, and let his play on the field do the talking, we might have a defense like we haven't seen since 2015.

Funny, I said the samething, when he cost us 15 yeaterday, Dre needs to grow up. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 06:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Oh yes.  Lou Anarumo surprised me yesterday; I'm talking Piers Morgan watching Susan Boyle sing on Britain's Got Talent for the first time type of surprised.  That defense!  It was amazing -- and it's only the first week of the season.

First of all, I saw tackling; you know, real wrap and-and-drive form tackling.  Nick Vigil's stick against Chris Carter was epic. Let's look at run statistics next.  The Seahawks had 72 yards on the ground.  This is due to improved tackling for the most part but also due to the outside linebackers making edge rushes nearly impossible.

Just send him to my house and I'll make a better Italian dinner than any restaurant Wink

I ALWAYS (and always have) give(n) my Italian friends major shit, for eating pasta at a restaurant; why would you spend 15 bucks for something you can make BETTER at home?

(09-09-2019, 06:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m half Italian myself, and grew up on homemade Italian food, as well as having the pleasure of eating some top notch Italian in NYC. That’s a BOLD statement right there. I’ll have to check it out sometime.

Now why didn't you ever mention that fact? LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

How far is Kettering from Olympia?? I wanna be invited to that dinner!
Seriously now, Game 1, Cap't Lou blew expectations out of the water! Hell, the whole coaching staff did for that matter! DL was beastly and the LBs where playing like their hair was on fire. The DBs were good for the most part, but there wasn't really anything to get excited about. Jackson had his problems and Dre, don't get me started, had his also.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 07:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I could tee up a golf ball from my front lawn and hit the parking lot of the Golden Nugget Pancake House with a well struck drive.  I've never had their pancakes -- gluten issues -- but their egg and omelet selections are amazing.  The syrup is too thin; you're right about that.  If you want a great breakfast -- including tasty gluten-free pancakes -- try Another Broken Egg Cafe in either Beavercreek or at I-75 and Austin Landing.

Yeah, we're driving by the Beavercreek location all the time.  It's in the strip mall with the Columbian restaurant we still haven't made it to.  But, we'll definitely check it out.  
Reply/Quote
Having only 4 lb's wasnt a problem. what I love about new regime is your play earns you playing time.not your name draft status contract etc... Everybody was blaming Mike Brown for this.I'm starting to believe it wasn't Mike but Marvin
Reply/Quote
But but but...Jack Del Rio...who is currently coaching defense for ESPN.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 07:21 PM)McC Wrote: But but but...Jack Del Rio...who is currently coaching defense for ESPN.

I don't watch ESPN, unless it's a ball game.  Did Coach Jack have any words of praise for Coach Lou?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote