Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lou Needs fired BUT....
If Al Golden is calling 3rd down plays then that needs to stop. They're horrible on 3rd down.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Never liked the Golden hire to begin with.

Q - "Who did Al Golden coach for?"

A - "The Lions"

Q - "Were they any good?"

A - "No, they were pretty terrible."

Q - "What position group did he coach?"

A - "The linebackers."

Q - "Well, were their linebackers at least any good?"

A - "No, they were among the worst in the entire league."

Response - "Great, let's offer this guy a contract!"
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:47 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Lou and ZT will not be fired during the season. ZT will be here for another year at the very least. To be honest, the defense has improved from last year even without the contributions from the free agents signed in the offseason (though most are injured now).

I think the focus on defense should be getting to the QB. I think the secondary is pretty decent but without anybody providing pressure, their job is that much more difficult. The Defensive line has been utterly decimated with injuries, but, they weren’t doing much before anyway. Finding a pass-rusher may indeed be where they go with the first pick next year even though it should be OT.

ZT has done a nice job play-calling the last few weeks and in developing Burrow. Not sure if he has the go-ahead as a young HC to fire any of his staff to be honest.

Outside of the pass rush the defensive backfield simply does not want to hit or tackle. That's a no- no and lack of effort. Their ability to come up on run plays, out in the flat or downfield you simply can't always just worry about stripping the ball. But, on the flip, that could be a by-product of a back 4 not confident that their front 7 can create pressure.

Every team in the league has players that shy away from hitting and simply play too upright in wanting to strip the ball free but not nearly as much as one sees with this Bengals team.
Reply/Quote
Anarumo should've been fired yesterday. It's called accountability. I know Mike Brown has a soft spot for his players and coaches and can be loyal to a fault when it comes to them, but business is business. Even if an intern defensive coordinator doesn't do any better you send a message that losing will not be tolerated and people will be held to account. If Taylor and the rest of the coaching staff doesn't get the message they could and should be next.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree with the sentiment that Lou needs to be gone. Aside from the overall shitty defensive play, it’s clear he is not able to get the most out of the players he has (many are disgruntled or not motivated). But I think IF it does happen it will be the end of the year for 3 reasons.

- Lou will get a bit of leeway because of the injuries – Waynes, Jackson, Hubbard, Reader, Daniels (3 games), Geno (4 games)

- There is no obvious replacement in-house to be the interim DC. When Teryl Austin was canned, there was a clear move for Marvin to take over. When Zampese was fired, there was Lazer, who had OC experience, waiting in the wings.

- Buddy hiring – Even if Zac has the autonomy to be able to fire his coordinators without interference Mike Brown, I think he will be reluctant to do it and more inclined to give Lou a second chance because they’re buddies and have a relationship dating back 10 years.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Lou will be gone at the end of the season.
Reply/Quote
Taylor is confident in Lou moving forward. Time for the front office to step up and get F'n do something to set the tone for this franchise. Taylor doesn't have the balls to call out the coaches he brought in.
Reply/Quote
The more you think and analyze this its truly sad we have no one behind Lou worth a dam to take the reigns.

Zac preaches about a winning culture and learning to win but who on his staff including him after been consistent winners in their previous stops.

Lou like Zac probably excels in the interview process but when it comes to getting things done they just cant do it!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Fire Lou at the bye. Bring in Phillips (or Zimmer if he gets canned).

Our defensive scheme is awful. The sooner it goes the better. That way, the players can get a running start in next year.

Plus, perhaps a new DC can salvage the situation with Carlos, Atkins, WJ3, and the others. At least play them enough to show some value for next year.
Reply/Quote
The defensive line has been exposed. Anybody else notice the play(s) with 5 down defensive linemen? Something’s been off about our “elite” pass rushers for a few years but nobody’s noticed because they’ve been labeled a strength of this team. For some reason, that hasn’t panned out for that unit or the defense as a whole. I’m not saying I know what it is because I don’t, but it’s coming to a head- I would say.

I’ve been up and down regarding Lou all season but I think we need to slow down some to let (the drama/Dline) pan out and see what happens. I mean all along most of us have thought the Oline is/was terrible, but the numbers say otherwise. It’s possible/probable the dline has been the the problem for the whole team.

ZT has put the offense in good position to win. And I’d were honest, lou’s defense has been pretty decent this year minus a few plays and some play calling.

I think we should stop calling for peoples jobs and maybe see what happens.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Just give the job to Mark Duffner if need be. At least he has experience being a defensive coordinator (more than Lou too).

I don't even think it's about whether or not a replacement improves the defense at this point. That would just be added bonus if it were to happen.

The primary objective should be making a statement. That statement being, "we will not accept this". Show that you have standards and that you will hold everyone equally accountable.

Letting guys like this stick around sets a bad example. This goes for Lou, Carlos, and most likely Zac, if he gets a 3rd year with another horrendous season. You're letting everyone in that building know that your standards aren't as high as your peers. That shit permeates throughout the entire building. You're basically saying "we're less than."

This guy should have been canned today. Allowing Baker Mayfield to not throw a single incompletion over 3 quarters, and to thow for just shy 300 yards and 5 TD's over that span, WITHOUT OBJ and Austin Hooper should have been grounds for immediate dismissal. Anywhere else, and this dude is gone by now.
Reply/Quote
I don't know ? Remember when ML took over the defense mid season and they actually improved some.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 06:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know ? Remember when ML took over the defense mid season and they actually improved some.

Yeah but that is a situation where the HC takes over and he already knows the players and the calls and previously had coached an elite defense in Baltimore.

Not sure who we would have on this staff that could fit that description.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:38 AM)corpjet Wrote: I'm not confident any of the other defensive assistants will do any better.

Mark Duffner is probably one of the candidates but what on his resume says he's done anything decent in his 24 years of coaching?

Al Golden is another likely candidate but once again nothing special, hell he coached TE's at his last stop in Detroit for a period of time.

Honestly looking at Zac's list of assistants most are from his good ole boy network who have never won much in their careers.

Taylor and all of his good ole boys need pink slips. It's really as simple as that.

3 wins in 23 games is just plain horrible. The Bengals have the worst record in the NFL going back to the start of 2019, 3-19-1. Here the list:

Bengals: 3 wins
Not-indians: 5 wins
Giants: 5 wins
Lions: 6 wins
Jags: 7 wins
Jets: 7 wins
Chargers: 7 wins
Miami: 8 wins
Panthers: 8 wins
Falcons: 8 wins
Broncos: 9 wins
Cowboys: 10 wins
Raiders: 10 wins
Cardinals: 10 wins
Eagles: 11 wins

Reply/Quote
What happened to that bullshit tweet from last week"No Excuses." Should we keep under performing coaches because of injuries? All teams have injuries. Should we keep coaches because we have no one better to take their place? We're 1-5-1, can't get much worse, what do we have to lose? Anarumo should've been "shit-canned" after yesterday's game and Taylor should be on the hottest of hot seats. The faster we start to get things turned around, the better for Burrow and the rest of the team and for us. No Excuses.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 05:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just give the job to Mark Duffner if need be.  At least he has experience being a defensive coordinator (more than Lou too).

I don't even think it's about whether or not a replacement improves the defense at this point.  That would just be added bonus if it were to happen.  

The primary objective should be making a statement.  That statement being, "we will not accept this".  Show that you have standards and that you will hold everyone equally accountable.

Letting guys like this stick around sets a bad example.  This goes for Lou, Carlos, and most likely Zac, if he gets a 3rd year with another horrendous season.  You're letting everyone in that building know that your standards aren't as high as your peers.  That shit permeates throughout the entire building.  You're basically saying "we're less than."

This guy should have been canned today.  Allowing Baker Mayfield to not throw a single incompletion over 3 quarters, and to thow for just shy 300 yards and 5 TD's over that span, WITHOUT OBJ and Austin Hooper should have been grounds for immediate dismissal.  Anywhere else, and this dude is gone by now.

I heard on the radio this morning that Mayfield only went past 1st read on two pass plays.

That is super damning for our lowly D and the knock on Baker that he is only good for 1st read and falls apart easily.

It was a gifted dream scenario for Mr. "dream-maker". Whatever

Bravo sweet Lou. Braaaaaaaavo!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The D simply doesn't have good enough players. The coaching is bad, but the talent is equally as bad. Having injuries make it even worse. Not excusing the coaching, but I didn't think the gameplan was awful outside the last drive inside the redzone. The players have to make plays (they make that sack, game is over).
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote