Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lou "more patient" with young DBs
Lou says he's being more patient with the young guys manning his secondary, DJ Reader only partially agrees

https://theathletic.com/4954887/2023/10/12/bengals-secondary-lou-anarumo/?source=emp_shared_article

Anarumo never played a rookie more than 420 snaps before last season. This year, he could end up with three, if first-rounder Myles Murphy eventually warrants an uptick. That’s before considering Hill is in his first season as a starter.

Quote:“He’s doing better,” said captain DJ Reader of his coordinator’s rookie tolerance. “It’s the secondary, so I know that’s tough on him because those are his babies. He’s not bad. They do piss him off a lot, though.”

Quote:There’s hope the evolution of the rookie class, including more snaps for Battle, could be the solution going forward instead of the problem.

“Those guys are growing on (Anarumo),” Reader said. “They are not dumb, they are just young and reckless. They came along and are showing you got to play them. I just don’t think any rookie is to be trusted. You just hope being a competitor has taken over.”

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Interesting comments....
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
DJ? Do you trust Nick Scott?

He isn't a rookie and he has played way worse than both DJ Turner and Jordan Battle....
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2023, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: DJ? Do you trust Nick Scott?

He isn't a rookie and he has played way worse than both DJ Turner and Jordan Battle....

Scott has been discussed a lot recently on the Bengals podcasts I listen to. There is a feeling that Battle is getting better, so he's earning the increase in play time, but there's also the sense that Scott has done nothing to solidify himself as the guy.

Dehner is predicting that when the Bengals come out of the bye week, Battle will be the starter next to Hill.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 01:14 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Scott has been discussed a lot recently on the Bengals podcasts I listen to. There is a feeling that Battle is getting better, so he's earning the increase in play time, but there's also the sense that Scott has done nothing to solidify himself as the guy.

Dehner is predicting that when the Bengals come out of the bye week, Battle will be the starter next to Hill.

I could see that being the case.  Scott has been mediocre in run support (typically a hallmark of a good SS) and has been virtually invisible in pass defense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 08:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could see that being the case.  Scott has been mediocre in run support (typically a hallmark of a good SS) and has been virtually invisible in pass defense.

Im disapointed in Scott on run defense, as I always thoght of him a  as  thumper with Rams.  
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 10:45 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Im disapointed in Scott on run defense, as I always thoght of him a  as  thumper with Rams.  

Could it be that with the Rams interior DL being so good, it made for some easy clean ups for a guy like Scott? For whatever the reason may be, he's just not panning out as a good fit with the Bengals.  Which is kind of odd, as DBs seem to thrive under Coach Lou.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Battle play speed just looks a little slow. But it's good to get a good look at him before deciding if he is the future or not.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Battle is showing the mental attributes we need in a safety. He just needs reps to fully understand the pro concepts and for stuff to slow down a bit. He’s our future Vonn Bell.
Reply/Quote
The writing is on the wall. Last year they started rotating CTB and Apple and it only took a couple of weeks before CTB took over as starter. Last week they started rotating Battle and Scott. Look for Battle to be the starter after the bye

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Daxton Hill has 4 TFLs and 1.5 sacks in 5 games. I hope he continues to get pass and run blitzing opportunities.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
All for Awuzie being the relief corner and Scott being totally benched.

I just haven’t seen what Zac saw in Los Angeles
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 12:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Battle play speed just looks a little slow. But it's good to get a good look at him before deciding if he is the future or not.

Hmm he seems alright to me. Seems to be on top of plays better than Scott. Scott is content with letting a catch happen and trying to tackle. At least Battle makes the tackle if he does that
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 01:14 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Scott has been discussed a lot recently on the Bengals podcasts I listen to. There is a feeling that Battle is getting better, so he's earning the increase in play time, but there's also the sense that Scott has done nothing to solidify himself as the guy.

Agree with Dehner.

(10-13-2023, 02:22 PM)pally Wrote: The writing is on the wall. Last year they started rotating CTB and Apple and it only took a couple of weeks before CTB took over as starter.  Last week they started rotating Battle and Scott.  Look for Battle to be the starter after the bye

Think the same Pally. You can tell Lou loves Battle and his instincts.

(10-13-2023, 03:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Daxton Hill has 4 TFLs and 1.5 sacks in 5 games. I hope he continues to get pass and run blitzing opportunities.

No doubt, Dax is an unbelievable talent. Just scratching the surface.

(10-13-2023, 05:32 PM)Housh Wrote: Hmm he seems alright to me. Seems to be on top of plays better than Scott. Scott is content with letting a catch happen and trying to tackle. At least Battle makes the tackle if he does that

True, if anything, Battle's instincts trump Scott's hesitancy. I know he isn't at Dax Hill's or even Tycen Anderson's speed but 
being where you need to be at the right team means the most.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 02:22 PM)pally Wrote: The writing is on the wall. Last year they started rotating CTB and Apple and it only took a couple of weeks before CTB took over as starter.  Last week they started rotating Battle and Scott.  Look for Battle to be the starter after the bye

Uh, CTB became a starter because Awuzie tore his knee up.
Reply/Quote