Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Louisiana to require the 10 Commandments in classroom
On Thursday, Louisiana Gov Landry signed a controversial bill requiring every k-12 public classroom in the state to display the Ten Commandments.

The ACLU has already announced a lawsuit challenging this law which amounts to religious indoctrination. Federal Courts have struck down other attempts to make this a requirement, but this will be the first challenge under the current court configuration and of course, any challenge will have to traverse the very conservative 5th District Federal Appeals Court

Glad to see a state with one of the worst education systems in the country focusing on the important stuff instead of reading and math

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Thou shalt not commit adultery

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife

The LORD to Moses:
"If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

I beg of you, America...think twice before again electing a proud serial adulterer to lead your country.  The LORD is watching.

As for this?  Well, if I've noticed anything in my life it is that forcing something into a classroom is the best way to make people think it is totally lame.  "Whats in it for me" emissaries for Jesus and his message have done so much damage to Christianity that they're resorting to standard marketing and advertising to repair the damage, treating Christianity like just another menu offering at McDonalds to be sold to the masses.

Jesus wept. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
And ... they have death penalty.

Funny Big Grin

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 01:56 PM)pally Wrote: On Thursday, Louisiana Gov Landry signed a controversial bill requiring every k-12 public classroom in the state to display the Ten Commandments.  

The ACLU has already announced a lawsuit challenging this law which amounts to religious indoctrination.  Federal Courts have struck down other attempts to make this a requirement, but this will be the first challenge under the current court configuration and of course, any challenge will have to traverse the very conservative 5th District Federal Appeals Court

Glad to see a state with one of the worst education systems in the country focusing on the important stuff instead of reading and math

Looks like they are aiming for the Supreme Court--a challenge to the Establishment Clause.

The current SCOTUS, I'd say, offers them a shot at legitimating this breakdown of Jefferson's wall between Church and State. 
Roberts is certainly the wild card here. Maybe Barrett too. But I'd say they've got a shot if they can get past the lower courts. 

It will be interesting to see how the majority of US voters view this. How much is generally known about how and why the "wall" 
between Church and state came to be the norm in North American and Europe? That's what I'm curious about. 
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 02:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I beg of you, America...think twice before again electing a proud serial adulterer to lead your country.  The LORD is watching.

You've got your wires crossed here, Nate.

Trump was CHOSEN by Jesus to rule the US and lead the world. But maybe you are not in favor of accomplishing God's will? 

'God Gave Us Trump': Christian Media Evangelicals Preach a Messianic Message
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2024-03-22/god-gave-us-trump-christian-media-evangelicals-preach-a-messianic-message
Reply/Quote
I would love to see the Ten Commandments back in schools. It seems like some good rules to live by.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 04:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would love to see the Ten Commandments back in schools. It seems like some good rules to live by.

There are worse things to be seen hanging in a school room...
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 04:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would love to see the Ten Commandments back in schools. It seems like some good rules to live by.

Why do you think children should be religiously indoctrinated in public schools?

They are not only forcing religious text into each and every classroom to all children regardless of their personal beliefs but they are forcing a specific belief system.  They are forcing the King James Bible version of the Ten Commandments...the Protestant version.  Why not teach children the Catholic version?

Where do they stop? If its ok to teach these religious beliefs should we now okay creationism?  How about Armageddon?

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote: Why do you think children should be religiously indoctrinated in public schools?

They are not only forcing religious text into each and every classroom to all children regardless of their personal beliefs but they are forcing a specific belief system.  They are forcing the King James Bible version of the Ten Commandments...the Protestant version.  Why not teach children the Catholic version?

Where do they stop? If its ok to teach these religious beliefs should we now okay creationism?  How about Armageddon?

Why are you opposed to referencing the 10 Commandments in classrooms? I see no mention of citing the 10 commandments daily or at all. I see this no different than allowing controversial books in the library of schools or as required reading.

I don't see anyone forcing a child in a public school to accept God or else. As far as other religions and schools, catholic schools have mandatory mass, the cite the Lord's prayer, they are private and teach the Catholic Version. There are also other private schools require their religion be taught.

There are a lot of things to be upset with in the US, looking to God for hope and strength is far down the list. It amazes me you don't criticize asylum rapes, robberies and murder of young women, mothers and children and decide to take a stand against the 10 Commandments. I will prayer God forgives you; I will pray God touches you and your family. It is never to late to find God.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

(06-21-2024, 04:40 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: There are worse things to be seen hanging in a school room...

I cannot agree here at all gentlemen.  Establishing a government preference for any religion is completely at odds with the intentions of the founders and is expressly forbidden by the Constitution.  While the US was certainly founded by Christians, and remains a largely Christian nation, it is easy to forget how much persecution of different denominations of Christianity occurred in our nations younger days.

Allowing this, and even worse requiring it, opens the floodgates for every other religion to demand equal access.  Better to keep the separation of church and state in place as intended by the Framers in rather than open those floodgates.  

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote: Why do you think children should be religiously indoctrinated in public schools?

Why is there any difference between CRT, or pushing sexual orientation BS on little kids who are fine with who they are until you tell them not to be. The majority of parents hate that crap, but the schools and the left push it. At least the 10 Commandments give 10 basic rules to life which aren't bad rules to live by. Heck, it might save a kid or two.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 07:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I cannot agree here at all gentlemen.  Establishing a government preference for any religion is completely at odds with the intentions of the founders and is expressly forbidden by the Constitution.  While the US was certainly founded by Christians, and remains a largely Christian nation, it is easy to forget how much persecution of different denominations of Christianity occurred in our nations younger days.

Allowing this, and even worse requiring it, opens the floodgates for every other religion to demand equal access.  Better to keep the separation of church and state in place as intended by the Framers in rather than open those floodgates.  

I disagree based on flags observed on TikTok and other social media...
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 07:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I cannot agree here at all gentlemen.  Establishing a government preference for any religion is completely at odds with the intentions of the founders and is expressly forbidden by the Constitution.  While the US was certainly founded by Christians, and remains a largely Christian nation, it is easy to forget how much persecution of different denominations of Christianity occurred in our nations younger days.

I see where you're coming from and mostly agree. I'm just saying,  that having some decent rules to live by would be a step up in a largely out-of-control school system. Morals are lacking in our country. Our schools are brainwashing our kids IMO. If you leave religion out of schools, which I agree with, then leave other BS out and teach the fundamentals they are there to learn. Leave the other to the parents.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 04:16 PM)Dill Wrote: You've got your wires crossed here, Nate.

Trump was CHOSEN by Jesus to rule the US and lead the world. But maybe you are not in favor of accomplishing God's will? 

'God Gave Us Trump': Christian Media Evangelicals Preach a Messianic Message
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2024-03-22/god-gave-us-trump-christian-media-evangelicals-preach-a-messianic-message

I think we should stone him per God's command and then if Jesus really chose him to lead us, he will come down and resurrect him. This is all completely logical as long as we are using the Bible to guide modern American politics. 
Reply/Quote

Telling kids it's wrong to kill is some liberal indoctrination where I come from. 
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 07:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I see where you're coming from and mostly agree. I'm just saying,  that having some decent rules to live by would be a step up in a largely out-of-control school system. Morals are lacking in our country. Our schools are brainwashing our kids IMO. If you leave religion out of schools, which I agree with, then leave other BS out and teach the fundamentals they are there to learn. Leave the other to the parents.

I agree with this. How can the ideals of the far left be permitted to be taught in schools? Why are teachers in some states not permitted to tell the parents their child wants to identify as a member of the opposite sex?

To me, you can't have one without the other. Either ban religion and ban anything political or anything to do with sexual orientation or accept they both have a role in the school system.

I agree public school systems all homeowners pay for should be governed by the voters in that community. National teachers' union for example should zero input on how students are taught, it is a state and local issue.

It is ludicrous anyone believes a child is mature enough to decide their sexual orientation until they are an adult. Why is there a push to punish or keep parents in the dark about parenting issues within the school systems?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 07:07 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I disagree based on flags observed on TikTok and other social media...

I'm gonna need more specificity here.

(06-21-2024, 07:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I see where you're coming from and mostly agree. I'm just saying,  that having some decent rules to live by would be a step up in a largely out-of-control school system. Morals are lacking in our country. Our schools are brainwashing our kids IMO. If you leave religion out of schools, which I agree with, then leave other BS out and teach the fundamentals they are there to learn. Leave the other to the parents.

A person could certainly argue that morality does not require religious conviction.  I've never considered myself a religious person, but I firmly believe I am a moral person.  Also, around half of the ten Commandments are admonitions on how to properly worship God.  I honestly don't find those especially helpful in promoting moral behavior, especially considering some of the awful things stated in the Old Testament, especially in Leviticus.

But at the end of the day, it really comes down to maintaining the cornerstone of Western society, the secular democracy/republic.  Without secularism you get what they have in the Middle East, and I don't want that for us, now or ever, under any religion.

Reply/Quote

Perfectly understandable opinion that I want to respectfully disagree with. Mainly because imho many children don't have the luxury of perfectly suited parents. Many aren't interested, don't have enough time, enough skills or have some questionable or dubious beliefs (like hating on certain people or how being a bully is the way to show strength or whatever). Some combination of that might very well be real for more children than not. And one can moan single parenting as a problem, it's the reality and nothing will probably ever prohibit this trend to only further increase. So putting aside that imho they also shouldn't, quite some parents just can't manage their child's upbringing solely on their own, much less in a way that perfectly meets the child's and society's interest.

Considering that, I think school has a role that can not be cut down to fundamentals. And imho it's also quite important for children to be presented with some different worldviews outside their own homes and hear about all kinds of issues and angles, and imho a school should be able to provide that in some debatable capacity. For me, including religion, but as an educational topic only.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2024, 07:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Why are you opposed to referencing the 10 Commandments in classrooms? I see no mention of citing the 10 commandments daily or at all. I see this no different than allowing controversial books in the library of schools or as required reading.

I don't see anyone forcing a child in a public school to accept God or else. As far as other religions and schools, catholic schools have mandatory mass, the cite the Lord's prayer, they are private and teach the Catholic Version. There are also other private schools require their religion be taught.

There are a lot of things to be upset with in the US, looking to God for hope and strength is far down the list. It amazes me you don't criticize asylum rapes, robberies and murder of young women, mothers and children and decide to take a stand against the 10 Commandments. I will prayer God forgives you; I will pray God touches you and your family. It is never to late to find God.

Because federal and state governments don't get to push religious values and ideas on its citizens let alone a specific ideology as Louisiana will require.  Would you really be happy to have Protestant religious beliefs pushed on your non-Protestant child?  Isn't religious teaching best left to a child's parents?  I hear all about "parent's rights" from conservatives but somehow that ideal is thrown out the window when parent's don't teach conservative beliefs

Reply/Quote

There are plenty of decent rules that schools can teach that don't involve religion

-kindness towards others
-treat each other with respect
-other people may have belief systems that differ from yours
-do not lie, cheat, or steal
-you are the only person who controls your emotions, actions, and reactions
-take responsibility for your behaviors
-own up when you are wrong

too bad so much of that falls under "social and emotional learning" and conservatives don't like that

Reply/Quote