Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelosi in Taiwan
https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-asia-beijing-nancy-pelosi-taipei-938933cfaea62b31e7577b0a2a4f7006

Quote:TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, meeting leaders in Taiwan despite warnings from China, said Wednesday that she and other members of Congress in a visiting delegation are showing they will not abandon their commitment to the self-governing island.

“Today the world faces a choice between democracy and autocracy,” she said in a short speech during a meeting with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen. “America’s determination to preserve democracy, here in Taiwan and around the world, remains ironclad.”

China, which claims Taiwan as its territory and opposes any engagement by Taiwanese officials with foreign governments, announced multiple military exercises around the island, parts of which will enter Taiwanese waters, and issued a series of harsh statements after the delegation touched down Tuesday night in the Taiwanese capital, Taipei.

Taiwan decried the planned actions.

“Such an act equals to sealing off Taiwan by air and sea, such an act covers our country’s territory and territorial waters, and severely violates our country’s territorial sovereignty,” Capt. Jian-chang Yu said at a briefing by the National Defense Ministry.

More at the link. Just...why? Why do we need to kick this hornets nest right now? It is the dumbest ***** thing to go "we're on the brink of WW3, already, let's just see if we can nudge China into the fray to really kick this thing off." That's what this looks like. I support self-determination for the people of Taiwan, as well as any place on earth. Move like this, though, are diplomatic asshattery. This is Trump administration levels of stupidity.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 09:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-asia-beijing-nancy-pelosi-taipei-938933cfaea62b31e7577b0a2a4f7006

More at the link. Just...why? Why do we need to kick this hornets nest right now? It is the dumbest ***** thing to go "we're on the brink of WW3, already, let's just see if we can nudge China into the fray to really kick this thing off." That's what this looks like. I support self-determination for the people of Taiwan, as well as any place on earth. Move like this, though, are diplomatic asshattery. This is Trump administration levels of stupidity.

I don't understand why she went there and I don't under why SHE went there.

But it's just another in another long line of politicians who go there for "other reasons" and stir up China.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 09:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-asia-beijing-nancy-pelosi-taipei-938933cfaea62b31e7577b0a2a4f7006

Because her husband just invested heavily in microchip production and it just so happens a whole bunch of those get made in Taiwan.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because her husband just invested heavily in microchip production and it just so happens a whole bunch of those get made in Taiwan.

Genius businesswoman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Genius businesswoman.

Did you just assume her gender?  
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:32 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Did you just assume her gender?  

I did. And just you pointing that out brings me one step closer to becoming a major player in republican politics. 

I'm being cancelled.  Give me money to fight this communist tyranny or you are next. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I did. And just you pointing that out brings me one step closer to becoming a major player in republican politics. 

I'm being cancelled.  Give me money to fight this communist tyranny or you are next. 

The woke mob, led by noted communist SociopathicSteelerFan, is coming for you and your children. They want to groom your children into being pedophilic transsexual strippers and they want to teach your children to hate themselves for being white.

They also want to take your guns and give them to school shooters.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Genius businesswoman.

He sold his stock...lol.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4608998

His doing it because of what his elected official wife is doing is another argument.  But at least this time it was all in the public eye.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:47 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The woke mob, led by noted communist SociopathicSteelerFan, is coming for you and your children. They want to groom your children into being pedophilic transsexual strippers and they want to teach your children to hate themselves for being white.

They also want to take your guns and give them to school shooters.

How dare you assume I have kids and if I did that they'd identify as white. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 01:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How dare you assume I have kids and if I did that they'd identify as white. 

My kid identifies as an attack helicopter. Especially when she's medicated.
Reply/Quote
Let's all remember that, while authoritarian and paranoic, China is nevertheless the world's premiere long-gamer. They're not going to war over a Pelosi visit to Taiwan. Not even if there is an accidental encounter with U.S./Taiwanese aircraft and ships.

Maybe a bit too soon to decide whether P's visit is a good or bad thing.

I do confess, however, that I like the extra pushback against, not just China, but Xi, complicating his push
for a 3rd presidency. Betting this is positively received by all countries along China's "nine-dash line" from the Philippines to Malaysia
to Vietnam--all of whom want the U.S. presence as a counter weight. 

The negative I see here concerns the home audience more than actual foreign policy--our friends on the right will frame this
as Biden "weakness"* as he does not have dictatorial Trump-style control of his own party leaders. 

*Absence of regional knowledge sufficient to understand how their own history and perceived regional/national/security interests are the first driver of our adversaries policy choices frequently leads to the default position that such choices are primarily responses to perceived "weakness" or "strength" of U.S. presidents. Not that autocrats aren't judging weakness/strength--that's the authoritarian mindset--just that that should not be the only tool in our FP assessment box. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 02:16 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: My kid identifies as an attack helicopter. Especially when she's medicated.

My kids identify as fetal-Bible-guns...they're kind of a big deal.
Reply/Quote
If she gave into China's demand not to go, the right wing would be screaming that she gave into the Chinese Communist Party.

Why weren't conservatives up in arms last year when Senators Lee, Cornyn, and Tuberville made a visit to Taiwan?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 02:19 PM)Dill Wrote: Let's all remember that, while authoritarian and paranoic, China is nevertheless the world's premiere long-gamer. They're not going to war over a Pelosi visit to Taiwan. Not even if there is an accidental encounter with U.S./Taiwanese aircraft and ships.

Maybe a bit too soon to decide whether P's visit is a good or bad thing.

I do confess, however, that I like the extra pushback against, not just China, but Xi, complicating his push
for a 3rd presidency. Betting this is positively received by all countries along China's "nine-dash line" from the Philippines to Malaysia
to Vietnam--all of whom want the U.S. presence as a counter weight. 

The negative I see here concerns the home audience more than actual foreign policy--our friends on the right will frame this
as Biden "weakness"* as he does not have dictatorial Trump-style control of his own party leaders. 

*Absence of regional knowledge sufficient to understand how their own history and perceived regional/national/security interests are the first driver of our adversaries policy choices frequently leads to the default position that such choices are primarily responses to perceived "weakness" or "strength" of U.S. presidents. Not that autocrats aren't judging weakness/strength--that's the authoritarian mindset--just that that should not be the only tool in our FP assessment box. 

Just here to say this post sandwiched between the posts above it and below it made me lol
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 05:27 PM)pally Wrote: If she gave into China's demand not to go, the right wing would be screaming that she gave into the Chinese Communist Party.

Why weren't conservatives up in arms last year when Senators Lee, Cornyn, and Tuberville made a visit to Taiwan?

The Chinese are making a bigger deal about Pelosi's visit. She publicly emphasized support for democratic over autocratic
governments.

If I were a "conservative," I'd say that Lee et al. were trying to repair Biden's "failed foreign policy," while Pelosi's visit
showed how "weak" and "incoherent" his FP was because he couldn't control Nancy. This "weakness" invites Chinese
aggression, etc.
Reply/Quote
Atta girl

f china
Reply/Quote
Related... China doing some next-level saber rattling.

https://news.yahoo.com/china-launches-missiles-japan-exclusive-131207797.html

Missiles into Japanese waters.
Jets into Taiwanese air.
Drones to a Taiwanese island.

It does seem like China doesn't respect deference and passivity, so maybe Pelosi going there might act like a check. It isn't great timing world-wise, but think that for that long is how China went unchecked for so long was a large part of the problem, so ignoring them further probably is even worse. Waiting for "better timing" means it simply might never happen.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 11:28 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Because her husband just invested heavily in microchip production and it just so happens a whole bunch of those get made in Taiwan.

On insider knowledge from his alcoholic wife.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2022, 05:27 PM)pally Wrote: If she gave into China's demand not to go, the right wing would be screaming that she gave into the Chinese Communist Party.

From what I've seen it's the Conservatives who backed her on this visit and Biden and crew who bashed her and said she should not go. BTW, now she's in Korea....
Reply/Quote