Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowered Expectations
My friends in Bengaldom, my expectations for the Bengals in 2019 have plummeted from the heights of Mt. Everest to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. Let me share my thought process:

Zac Taylor! Yes! We’re going to look like the Rams!

New coaches! These guys are going to learn some real fundamentals!

What a preseason! There are good things going on.

Oh, so close! That’s okay; everyone loses to Seattle at home.

Ouch! Well, maybe the 49ers are better than advertised.

Almost back on track! Buffalo is good and we almost beat them.

Humiliating! Kicked in the crotch by the Steelers again on national television. Only three points? C’mon, man!

It’s the Cardinals. Please don’t get shut out. Just score, even if it’s a Fat Randy chip shot field goal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My expectations began in Death Valley. So, on the bright side, not so far to fall.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
1. I don't believe branch coaches are a good idea. So when the rumors started that Zac was going to be the one. I wasn't too happy, but happy to finally have a different coach.
2. When Turner was hired. That really starting making me break a sweat.
3. When Hart & Andre were signed. I knew it was going to be a sh*t year.

Looks like its going that way so far.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 01:52 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: 1. I don't believe brach coaches are a good idea. So when the rumors started that Zac was going to be the one. I wasn't too happy, but happy to finally have a different coach.
2. When Turner was hired. That really starting making me break a sweat.
3. When Hart & Andre were signed. I knew it was going to be a sh*t year.

Looks like its going that way so far.

Basically, the Bengals kept Marvin for HC for soo long when he would have likely been fired by other NFL owners in similar situations 5-6 years ago...atleast 3 years ago, that the fanbase was happy for wheoever was hired.

We could have legit hired a baseball manager as our football HC and I think a lot of fans would have wanted to give it a chance because it was SOMEONE different.
Reply/Quote
Taylor needs coordinators with experience at the position. If Gruden is let go in Washington get him back in here.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
It it what it is, unfortunately. From the front office, to the coaching staff, to the roster...everyone facet looks pretty clueless and inept right now. I don't care if you're a homer, hater, "realist" or casual spectator...the combined failure that's occurred through the first 5 games has been hard to watch and there are some very serious and blatantly obvious problems that aren't exactly quick and easy fixes going forward.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:41 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Taylor needs coordinators with experience at the position.  If Gruden is let go in Washington get him back in here.

You mean Taylor needs an actual OC that can call plays?

Taylor has flopped at OC in Miami, UC, and now here.

Which begs the question...his candidacy here was mainly due to his offensive mind. IF he's not even an average playcaller...what does he bring to the table? Is he some great leader? Is he great with organization skills?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:41 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Taylor needs coordinators with experience at the position.  If Gruden is let go in Washington get him back in here.

He also needs to show that he's not afraid / hesitant to pull the cord on a member of his staff if need be...like Lou or Turner.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:50 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It it what it is, unfortunately. From the front office, to the coaching staff, to the roster...everyone facet looks pretty clueless and inept right now. I don't care if you're a homer, hater, "realist" or casual spectator...the combined failure that's occurred through the first 5 games has been hard to watch and there are some very serious and blatantly obvious problems that aren't exactly quick and easy fixes going forward.

Indeed. It's literally 'All of the Above.'
Reply/Quote
For this team, always set your expectations to zero. That way you are never disappointed and never surprised.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He also needs to show that he's not afraid / hesitant to pull the cord on a member of his staff if need be...like Lou or Turner.

Jim Turner is the weakest link. Lou Anarumo kept the Bengals alive in three close games.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 06:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Jim Turner is the weakest link.  Lou Anarumo kept the Bengals alive in three close games.

Lou is bad too. He can't stop misdirection. Got no pressure today against a bad line. The whole 2 LB scheme is terrible.

Look at Arizona. Mixon gashed them on the 1st drive, then they adjusted and took it away. They didn't need to wait until halftime.

The Cardinals are a very bad team on offense and defense and the Bengals made them look good.
Reply/Quote
I said 6-10 before preseason games.

3 possible wins remaining;

Jaguars
Jets
Dolphins
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 06:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lou is bad too. He can't stop misdirection. Got no pressure today against a bad line. The whole 2 LB scheme is terrible.

Look at Arizona. Mixon gashed them on the 1st drive, then they adjusted and took it away. They didn't need to wait until halftime.

The Cardinals are a very bad team on offense and defense and the Bengals made them look good.

It’s not too late to call Jack Del Rio again.
Reply/Quote
LOL. We won’t win but maybe one of those games. What a joke the bungles are
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 06:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Jim Turner is the weakest link.  Lou Anarumo kept the Bengals alive in three close games.

I was on board with hiring Lou and really rooting for him to succeed, but even in those close games, the defense melted down at some crucial times...looking lost, lacking execution and blowing assignments.

As far as Turner goes, I cringed when they hired him and I hope he's replaced sooner than later.
Reply/Quote
1-15

And only because Miami is purposely tanking.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 06:13 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I said 6-10 before preseason games.

3 possible wins remaining;

Jaguars
Jets
Dolphins

The Bengals have lost decisively to winless teams for two straight weeks. The last minute heroics today doesn't change the fact that Arizona led for almost the entire day.

Taylor could have the worst first year for any Bengals HC ever.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 06:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lou is bad too. He can't stop misdirection. Got no pressure today against a bad line. The whole 2 LB scheme is terrible.

That is the thing I question more than anything on this D. Opposing teams are killing us outside and it's obvious this D with these players can't stop it.

How many yards did we give up today on off tackle runs, screens, RB dump offs in the flats, anything outside ? We've been torched outside nearly every game but they continue with this 2 LBer set ?
Reply/Quote
I’m so glad I worked last night so I didn’t watch this debacle. The whole thing is a damn joke. The key to watching the bungles is viewing it as a comedy and not a drama
Reply/Quote