Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found a machine gun
Not even joking. I have been cleaning out my uncle's house and I found a WWII era Japanese Nambu training machine gun. It's been spiked to prevent firing, but could easily be undone and restored. I called the BATF, already, because I have zero paperwork for it, but it's been an interesting day.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Very cool. Got a pic?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 07:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Very cool. Got a pic?

My brother-in-law took a couple, but I'm going to go take some more detailed pictures, tomorrow. I need them for the BATF. I will share them once I have them.

This is the variant I have, though mine has a ton of surface rust.

[Image: 55156484_1_x.jpg?auto=webp&format=pjpg&v...&width=512]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Also, I am fairly certain that my grandfather either brought it back with him from the war, or got it off of someone who did. He was in India and would certainly have had access to such war trophies.

Reply/Quote
Update on this. The gun was never registered according to the ATF, which means I can't register it now. However, they aren't going to confiscate it. They are going to render it inoperable to their standards and allow me to keep it.

Reply/Quote
Good for you. Family treasure...
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 10:53 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Good for you. Family treasure...

I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and displaying it with my grandfather's memorabilia. I found his funeral flag, his old ribbons and rank, and even a ring he had from his unit. He was also a survivor of the HMT Rohna incident, so there is a lot of interesting history, there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMT_Rohna

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 11:15 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and displaying it with my grandfather's memorabilia. I found his funeral flag, his old ribbons and rank, and even a ring he had from his unit. He was also a survivor of the HMT Rohna incident, so there is a lot of interesting history, there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMT_Rohna

My dad often talked about life aboard troop transport ships from his time in the Marines back in the 50s, many of them leftover from service in WWII.. His apparently favorite story was never picking a bottom bunk especially anywhere near a port of call when guys would get good and drunk on shore, climb in their bunks then puke on anyone below them, 7 bunks deep at the time.. He often warned me about getting drunk then getting on a troop transport ship..  Hilarious
On a serious note.. It makes me wonder just how many of that particular crew had been drunk when it went down since it was docked close to Algeria at the time.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 10:11 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Update on this. The gun was never registered according to the ATF, which means I can't register it now. However, they aren't going to confiscate it. They are going to render it inoperable to their standards and allow me to keep it.

Probably the best thing for the Nambu too. A rather crappy weapon, even by the standards of the day. ;-)

Still, a weapon is a weapon.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote