Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luck
(01-02-2023, 09:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pally was quoting the Seneca, the Roman Philosopher, as a rebuttal to what the article had written.

my question was where he is reading all this stuff, ive read nothing from actual publications like espn, nfl network, athletic etc saying this. Actually it is the opposite , oost are saying we are legit team to contend... if it bloggers, hell that is like listening to twitter etc... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:43 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: You make your own luck. If you put yourself in enough favorable situations, it’s bound to bounce your way more often than not.

Not necessarily true: how about people playing the lottery for the first time in their 50 years on Earth and winning a jackpot? Sure, they went out there and finally bought a ticket, but that really isn't making your own luck if there is a requirement beforehand to do so.

Like you said: putting yourself in favourable situations helps, but I'd say that's less, "making your own luck," and more, "you've prepared better, so there's a better chance of you coming out on top." That's a law of sorts, that may or may not be directly impacted by luck.

Take my close friend: he has never really saved in his life, doesn't work (still doesn't, though he'd been working seasonal jobs while waiting for an opening in his field. He's been waiting 5 years, but he still waits! lol) and he's basically treading water, career-wise.

He bought a house before any of our friends/peers. Why? 'cause his mother sold her house for 1.5 mil and split it 3 ways: 1/3 for her, 1/3 for my friend and 1/3 for his brother.

Now you tell me: did he make his own luck because his mother was alive, had a huge house all to herself and has no one to give the money to, so she gave it to her sons? Or did his years of lazing about and not taking things seriously life and career-wise, made him be as lucky as he was to get this house?

"Making your own luck," is really just code for, "you prepared well for the situation and when an outcome was to come out of the situation, you were on the positive end as a result of your prep."
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
It's all related to the Roman philosophy of stabbing your enemies in the gut with a short sword..  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 11:50 PM)jason Wrote: I mean we were lucky to hit rock bottom the year that Joe Burrow hit the draft... A year sooner, and we're dealing with Call of Duty Kyler.

Luck had nothing to do with it.  Taylor benched Andy in a supreme Tank Commander boss-move.  And it worked. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 12:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: my question was where he is reading all this stuff, ive read nothing from actual publications like espn, nfl network, athletic etc saying this. Actually it is the opposite , oost are saying we are legit team to contend... if it bloggers, hell that is like listening to twitter etc... 

Ah, now I know where you're coming from.  Yeah, simply stating that she is reading "all over the place" is pretty vague, and I do tend to agree that it is likely twitter and blog posts that she is likely referring to.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2023, 12:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: my question was where he is reading all this stuff, ive read nothing from actual publications like espn, nfl network, athletic etc saying this. Actually it is the opposite , oost are saying we are legit team to contend... if it bloggers, hell that is like listening to twitter etc... 

I don't follow NFL news like a hawk but what I do follow I have not seen luck being mentioned either.  So my guess is the luck thing is probably coming from places like people posting on Twitter,  FriendFace and maybe other teams message boards. None of which I follow or care about so that might explain why I have not seen references to Bengals and luck.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:26 PM)pally Wrote: I've been reading all over the place that the Bengals are a lucky team not good. That they got lucky the Buccaneers suddenly started to turnover the ball.  That they got lucky that Stevenson fumbled.  And of course, we got lucky that McPherson kicked all those field goals in last year's post-season.

Well to quote the great Roman philosopher Seneca- Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

They were "lucky" because those players worked their a**es off in practice learning the playbook, learning their techniques, learning where to be at any given time.  The coaches worked their a**es off teaching these players and putting together a game plan.  And as usual, were flexible enough to make some killer adjustments at halftime.

Those turnovers weren't gifts from the opposing team.  They were taken by a greedy and determined defense.

Link to articles or youtube videos, please.  Whatever
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Everything I'm seeing suggests the sports media as a whole thinks this team is elite.
Reply/Quote
Hate to say it, but talking heads are notorious for being wrong especially 6 months out.. I remember when they predicted flying cars and I still ain't got mine. Dammit!   Sad
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2023, 10:26 PM)pally Wrote: I've been reading all over the place that the Bengals are a lucky team not good. That they got lucky the Buccaneers suddenly started to turnover the ball.  That they got lucky that Stevenson fumbled.  And of course, we got lucky that McPherson kicked all those field goals in last year's post-season.

Well to quote the great Roman philosopher Seneca- Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

They were "lucky" because those players worked their a**es off in practice learning the playbook, learning their techniques, learning where to be at any given time.  The coaches worked their a**es off teaching these players and putting together a game plan.  And as usual, were flexible enough to make some killer adjustments at halftime.

Those turnovers weren't gifts from the opposing team.  They were taken by a greedy and determined defense.

I don't believe in luck. Well said Pally. God helps those who help themselves. This team works it's ass off like you said and stays
prepared. Great thread, this is just more motivation. Hope the team hears how lucky they have been lol
Reply/Quote