Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lug nuts won't stay tight
Had soem work done on a tire and a few days later started noticing a noise as I drove. Checked the tires and the lug nuts were looses on the tire that had been worked on. I was a little mad but figured it wa an easy fix. Just tightened down the lug nuts. Now a few days later I start hearing the same noise. Lug nuts loose again.

I think e problem might be that I am not jacking up my car to tighten the nuts, and that it is keeping me from getting them 100% tight.

Any other thoughts.
Reply/Quote
I’ve had issues with the shop sometimes overtightening the lug nuts with the air gun. Either stretching the studs or just stripping the threading. This could be an issue.
Reply/Quote
While it is imperative to jack the vehicle to properly tighten the lug nuts, you may have to check and see if they are to be torqued to a specific number. But, generally speaking, you should be able to tell by visual inspection if there is any damage to the lug studs.

Edit: You'll only get the lug nuts so tight, with the wheel elevated, if doing them by hand. Final hand tightening is done with wheel back on ground.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Also check for antiseaze or and other type of lubricant. If they used it on your lugs, sometimes can have an opposite effect than intended if too much is applied. It would be easy to tell.

Reply/Quote
Jack the car up, tighten lug nuts using a star pattern. Lower car, check tightness again. If service used lubricant, claen off lug bolts with degreaser or parts cleaner. If not and lug nuts still get loose again, you can always try a very small amount of loc tite on the bolts. But beware, this may make tire changing difficult.
Reply/Quote
Try letting your wife tighten the nuts next time. Ninja

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 12:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Try letting your wife tighten the nuts next time.  Ninja
Hilarious

Reply/Quote
I'd just take it back to wherever you had the work done and tell them. Maybe mention you're a lawyer.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 12:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Try letting your wife tighten the nuts next time.  Ninja

HOF worthy
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

You sir, have just won the internets for today.   Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 12:43 PM)Beaker Wrote: Jack the car up, tighten lug nuts using a star pattern. Lower car, check tightness again. If service used lubricant, claen off lug bolts with degreaser or parts cleaner. If not and lug nuts still get loose again, you can always try a very small amount of loc tite on the bolts. But beware, this may make tire changing difficult.

Best advice.

Up, star pattern, lower, check. Lock-tite if fear of a lubricant.

Other than that, might just check to make sure the threads weren't damaged. Using a driver, it's possible the shop damaged the threads putting them back on.
Reply/Quote
Is the tire mounted to a standard auto maker rim ?
After market rims and lugs don't play well at times ( 86 nissan 4x4 ).
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Had soem work done on a tire and a few days later started noticing a noise as I drove.  Checked the tires and the lug nuts were looses on the tire that had been worked on.  I was a little mad but figured it wa an easy fix.  Just tightened down the lug nuts.  Now a few days later I start hearing the same noise.  Lug nuts loose again.

I think e problem might be that I am not jacking up my car to tighten the nuts, and that it is keeping me from getting them 100% tight.

Any other thoughts.

FRED, use BLUE LOCTITE on your studs (removable). Red loctite is permanent. You can also get a torque stick if your using an air or electric impact wrench. The most common torque is 100 ft. lbs. I have a 100 ft.lb. one . It is light blue in color.
Reply/Quote
Did you check to see if the muffler belt is tight?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:14 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Did you check to see if the muffler belt is tight?

Well, he should likely check his blinker fluid, while he's at it..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2018, 10:14 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Did you check to see if the muffler belt is tight?

(09-03-2018, 10:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, he should likely check his blinker fluid, while he's at it..

Sounds to me like a leaky license plate valve.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
If degreaser doesn't work you can use BLUE loctite but I wouldnt suggest it because that would mean your lug nuts are worn out. It's best to just buy a new set. If you do use loctite make sure you keep it in your car incase you have to break it loose to change the tire.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Wow I was told to hand tighten while on the jack, and do the real tightening on the ground. I've only had to change a couple of tires, so I guess I got lucky.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
As most of you already know, I have a screw loose.

Any suggestions on how to fix that ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 10:41 AM)Go Cards Wrote: As most of you already know, I have a screw loose.

Any suggestions on how to fix that ?

Go screw yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote