Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lug nuts won't stay tight
(09-05-2018, 12:24 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Go screw yourself?  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried that already, ok a couple of times.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 09:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Wow I was told to hand tighten while on the jack, and do the real tightening on the ground.  I've only had to change a couple of tires, so I guess I got lucky.

No.  you were doing it right.  Tighten them "snug" while on the jack, then tighten when on the ground.  The reason for this is that the wheel will not spin when on the ground so you can set them tight without the wheel spinning (or the pulling the car off the jack)

My problem was that I don't thin the wheel was straight so that it was completely against the hub when I tightened the nuts.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  you were doing it right.  Tighten them "snug" while on the jack, then tighten when on the ground.  The reason for this is that the wheel will not spin when on the ground so you can set them tight without the wheel spinning (or the pulling the car off the jack)

My problem was that I don't thin the wheel was straight so that it was completely against the hub when I tightened the nuts.

Oh OK got it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2018, 04:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh OK got it.
Agree with Fred except usually go a little tighter than hand tight before lowering to the ground to finish tightening.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Incomprehandable that there are still adults who don't know how to install a wheel on a car, but yet here we are .

I ran into a kid one day in Texas (of course Texas) who had jacked up his small pickup truck from the center of the truck and had all 4 wheels off the ground with one scissor jack.. Naturally he was laying on the  ground under the truck trying to figure out how to get to the spare tire .
How he found the center of gravity is still a mystery, but he did.. Being a good Samaritan I grabbed his feet and dragged him out from under the truck and changed the tire for him..
It's my belief that before getting a drivers license people should have to know just a tiny little bit about how things work on cars other than just the location of the gas pedal and steering wheel..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
By the way , star pattern only works if you have 5 or more lugs. With 4 use a cross pattern , yeah  snug em up off the ground then crank em down on the ground. 
Fred, are the lugs stripped by any chance? If so you're in for problems. It is repairable, but you'd have to either replace them or rethread them and go to the next smaller size lug nut(s) which is a bit of a hassle. 
I'm not a big fan of loctite.. It can make the next repair much more difficult, but if you do keep a propane torch handy.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
After applying all the advice in this thread and the lug nuts are still loose, set up a hidden camera that turns on if there is movement to see if someone is trying to kill you or if someone is trying to mess you up really bad.

Seriously, you never know what a kid or ex or in your case Fred, a client who can't pay you might do to get out of paying their bill.

Also, depending on the car it it's front wheel drive and there's a small ridge on a rear drum, the tire may not be seated correctly.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote