Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MACtion Defense
The MAC is, oftentimes, a forgotten conferences in the FBS. MAC teams don't normally don't get the highly rated recruits nor the national attention that Power 5 schools get. However, the MAC has produced some quality NFL players in the 2000's and shouldn't be overlooked... especially in finding a late-round gem (Jatavis Brown, James Harrison, Barry Church).

Here is a list of the top MAC defensive prospects for this year's draft:

Edge Rushers
1. Joe Ostman, Central Michigan

Would you believe me if I told you 4 of the top 6 FBS sack leaders of 2017 played in the MAC? Joe Ostman was tied for the league lead with 14 sacks in only 11 games. He is a high effort player who made play after play due to his relentlessness. Like many of the MAC prospects on this list, the question marks surrounding Joe Ostman deal with size; he is a DE/OLB tweener. His pro day performance was excellent (after a combine snub), showing good overall athleticism, speed, and strength.

Projection: Rounds 5-6
Highlights

2. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, Toledo
Adeniyi was another player who lived in the backfield of MAC offenses in 2017. He recorded 20 tackles for a loss and 8.5 sacks. Adeniyi has a very compact, muscular build which is not typically suited for edge rushers. To go along with that, he isn't a flashy athlete. Nevertheless, he is a playmaker and looks to be very strong on film; he looks for contact and is an aggressive tackler. Adeniyi also fits the category of a DE/OLB tweener.

Projection: Rounds 6-7
Highlights

3. Anthony Winbush, Ball State
Winbush rounds out the trio of nearly identical MAC edge rushers. Again, he doesn't have a fixed position for the NFL and his measurements are comparable to both Ostman and Adeniyi. Winbush tied for 4th in the nation with 11.5 sacks in 2017 and also forced 5 fumbles. Personally, I don't see any of these players as a fit for the Bengals, but it's impossible to predict the way the draft plays out.

Projection: Round 7 / PFA
Highlights

Defensive Tackle 
1. Jon Cunningham, Kent State
There are no top-tier interior defensive lineman coming out of the MAC this year; Jon Cunningham is the only player of note. He is very short for a defensive tackle, measuring at 5'11", and lacks pass rush skills. Cunningham was primary a run-stuffer at Kent State registering 50 tackler, 10 TFL, and 1.5 sacks. In the NFL he'd be used in a similar role, but his size and strength may just not be enough. Perhaps he's worth a camp spot.

Projection: PFA

Linebackers
1. Quentin Poling, Ohio

Quentin Poling was a highly productive linebacker at Ohio. He recorded over 350 career tackles to go along with 18 sacks, 7 interceptions, and 5 forced fumbles. What separates Poling from many of these MAC players is that he is an extremely talented athlete. He absolutely crushed his pro day and should hold additional value being a linebacker with some coverage ability. One criticism is that scouts say he waits to make a tackle rather that attacking. I would love to see him in stripes next season.

Highlights

2. Robert Spillane, Western Michigan

Robert Spillane was a 4-year contributor at Western Michigan as an inside linebacker. He had his best season during Western Michigan's Cotton Bowl run in 2016 and came up huge in an upset win over Northwestern. Unfortunately for Spillane, he lacks the speed and strength necessary to make the jump to the NFL. He may have been a quality college player but I feel like the jump from college to the NFL will be too tough for him.

Highlights

Defensive Backs
1. Darius Phillips, Western Michigan

The consensus top DB coming out of the MAC is CB Darius Phillips. Phillips is a converted Wide Receiver who has fantastic ball-skills and playmaking ability. He has great speed and scored 14 touchdowns during his 4-year career at Western Michigan. He had 2 receiving touchdowns (his freshman season), 6 defensive touchdowns (12 interceptions total), and 6 return touchdowns. His size indicates he'd be better as a slot corner but in the modern NFL, that is still a very important position. He also adds special teams value as a talented return man.

Projection: Rounds 5-6
Highlights

2. Heath Harding, Miami (Ohio)

Heath Harding doesn't possess the elite athleticism that Darius Phillips has. However, he is a talented player who recorded 10 career interceptions. Perhaps his best quality though is how he embraced the role of an aggressive, run-support cornerback. He isn't afraid to hit and would be a good gunner candidate on special teams.

Highlights

3. Shawun Lurry, Northern Illinois
Shawun Lurry has been a forgotten player over the past 2 seasons. He was an All-American vote getter in his sophomore campaign of 2015 after leading the FBS in interceptions (9), interception return yards (273), and passes defended (24). He always seemed to play up to his competition intercepting JT Barrett twice in a 20-13 loss vs #1 Ohio State. He also was largely responsible for an upset over Nebraska in 2017 in which he returned an interception 90 yards for a touchdown. His downfall is his size... he is only 5'8". This will definitely affect his draft stock.

Highlights

4. Amari Coleman, Central Michigan
Amari Coleman has received all-MAC honors over the past 2 seasons as a cornerback for Central Michigan. Coleman is a plus athlete who has a knack for making big plays... and allowing them. His risk-taking style has oftentimes backfired on him but he remains a prospect with good potential. Any of these corners could be a good pick-up for the Bengals to add depth to their roster.

Highlights

5. Asantay Brown, Western Michigan

Asantay Brown played at linebacker and safety for the Broncos and was a tackling machine. In the NFL he projects to be a safety and could be a nice in the box option in he develops well. Brown has the skill set of a strong safety and lacks coverage skills. As of now he is rated far below many other safety prospects but should get a camp invite.

Highlights

Special Teams
1. Joseph Davidson, Bowling Green

Joseph Davidson has been one of the most consistent and productive punters in college football over the past three seasons. He is a left-footed punter who led the nation with 9 punts of 60+ yards in 2017. Also, he was excellent at pinning punts inside the opponent's 20 yard line. Davidson worked as a holder as well. The only real concern is that Davidson could stand to improve the hangtime of his punts.

*Sorry this post got super lengthy but I just wanted to highlight some of these lesser known players. I attended a MAC school and continue to follow the conference every year. #GoHuskies
Reply/Quote
Darius Phillips should definately be in play for us later in the Draft if we do not take a Corner early.

Also i would be willing to bet if Poling goes undrafted we are the first team he goes to as he is a local.

He could be that next UDFA LB for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2018, 12:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Darius Phillips should definately be in play for us later in the Draft if we do not take a Corner early.

Also i would be willing to bet if Poling goes undrafted we are the first team he goes to as he is a local.

He could be that next UDFA LB for us.

I agree, I like both of them a lot.
Reply/Quote