Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MCGlinchey player comparison - Taylor Decker?
Saw on nfldraftscout.com that the player McGlinchey was compared to was Taylor Decker, former OT from Ohio St who was drafted 16th overall to Detroit and now their LT.

Once I saw that, I re-read some old scouting reports on Decker and do they sound like almost identical players. Both were very good run blockers, have struggles occasionally with certain types of edge rushers, and originally thought to be an ideal fit for RT but could make a living at LT.

What are your thoughts on this player comparison?
Do you think it's rather accurate?
Does the possibility of being Taylor Decker sway your opinion of McGlinchey more either for or against?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Duane Brown is also a good comp. Will he ever be a complete shutout LT? Probably not he might give up a sack or 2 a year but he's going to be more than solid in pass pro and a mauler in the run game. I'm all for McGlinchey at 12.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Duane Brown is also a good comp. Will he ever be a complete shutout LT? Probably not he might give up a sack or 2 a year but he's going to be more than solid in pass pro and a mauler in the run game. I'm all for McGlinchey at 12.

Pretty much my feelings as well. If the Bengals could get their running game going, they should (theoretically) have fewer opportunities to allow the QB to be sacked because there won't be as many pass attempts. And I'd be ok with that.

EDIT - Although with Hobson's latest article, it sounds like Bengals likely won't consider OL at #12 and will instead address OL in Rounds 2-4. So while I would prefer an OT in the first round, I might have to adjust my future mocks to look at BPA defensive player instead.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
HELL NO. mcg is strictly a rt. And he might not even do well there. U know how ogbuehi can't handle a bull rush to save his life? That's what mcg is to leverage speed rushers. Can't stop them at all. Decker was a much better prospect. If we draft mcg we'll be drafting ogbuehi all over again.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:11 PM)Jpoore Wrote: HELL NO. mcg is strictly a rt. And he might not even do well there. U know how ogbuehi can't handle a bull rush to save his life? That's what mcg is to leverage speed rushers. Can't stop them at all. Decker was a much better prospect. If we draft mcg we'll be drafting ogbuehi all over again.

WTF are you talking about? McGlinchey isn't weak like Ogbuehi at all. His problem with edge rushers is he can't mirror quite as well so the speedier ones can get by him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: WTF are you talking about? McGlinchey isn't weak like Ogbuehi at all. His problem with edge rushers is he can't mirror quite as well so the speedier ones can get by him.

That what I'm talking about. I'm saying ogbuehi to bull rushers is mcglinchey to speed rushers. Neither can handle them. He gets whooped on by them. Not saying he's weak. But if he goes up against any kind of leverage speed rushers, he'll get destroyed. As he has in college. If this was next year's tackle class, mcg would be a 3rd round pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:11 PM)Jpoore Wrote: HELL NO. mcg is strictly a rt. And he might not even do well there. U know how ogbuehi can't handle a bull rush to save his life? That's what mcg is to leverage speed rushers. Can't stop them at all. Decker was a much better prospect. If we draft mcg we'll be drafting ogbuehi all over again.

False.

McGlinchey biggest issue is he has a shallow step to the outside against smaller speed rushers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:18 PM)Jpoore Wrote: That what I'm talking about. I'm saying ogbuehi to bull rushers is mcglinchey to speed rushers. Neither can handle them. He gets whooped on by them. Not saying he's weak. But if he goes up against any kind of leverage speed rushers, he'll get destroyed. As he has in college. If this was next year's tackle class, mcg would be a 3rd round pick.

This is also false.

He handles them fairly well but gets beat on occasionally when they have great speed AND bend to the outside.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:18 PM)Jpoore Wrote: That what I'm talking about. I'm saying ogbuehi to bull rushers is mcglinchey to speed rushers. Neither can handle them. He gets whooped on by them. Not saying he's weak. But if he goes up against any kind of leverage speed rushers, he'll get destroyed. As he has in college. If this was next year's tackle class, mcg would be a 3rd round pick.

Misunderstood then, as the way you phrased your previous statement made it sound like you were saying they had the same weakness (at least my comprehension of it).

With that said, I still disagree because he wasn't "always" destroyed by speed rushers as you claim. If that were true, it'd be splattered across nearly every scouting report written by respected draft sites.
According to this link https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Mike-McGlinchey-nations-top-tackle-on-Pro-Football-Focus--113408948), McGlinchey was the highest rated OT in college football at 90.6. He did allow 3 sacks in 2017 along with 2 QB hits and 10 QB hurries, which put his pass blocking in the middle of the pack. However, his run blocking was ridiculously good, "obliterating the competition" to quote the link.
And also, Andre Smith struggles with speed rushers in the NFL yet he still was a projected an early first-rounder and went to the Bengals at 6. Do I think Smith was worth the 6 overall looking back? Probably not, but he still deserved to be a first rounder.
And there are not a ton of AMAZING OTs in next year's draft that would put McGlinchey as a third rounder either. If so, McGlinchey wouldn't be rated the top overall OT in college football. Clearly you're overrating next year's class.

Personally, I think you greatly undervalue run blocking and overvalue pass blocking.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Personally, I think you greatly undervalue run blocking and overvalue pass blocking.

Best pass protection is a solid run game. Keeps the down and distance manageable and opens up the playbook.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:24 PM)Synric Wrote: This is also false.

He handles them fairly well but gets beat on occasionally when they have great speed AND bend to the outside.
Which is what 90 percent of pass rushers in the NFL have. Im gonna go back and rewatch the biggest games, but my first impression wasn't great. If he couldn't do great against leverage speed rushers, what makes u thinking he'll do well against much more talented rushers in the NFL?
(01-17-2018, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Misunderstood then, as the way you phrased your previous statement made it sound like you were saying they had the same weakness (at least my comprehension of it).

With that said, I still disagree because he wasn't "always" destroyed by speed rushers as you claim. If that were true, it'd be splattered across nearly every scouting report written by respected draft sites.
According to this link https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Mike-McGlinchey-nations-top-tackle-on-Pro-Football-Focus--113408948), McGlinchey was the highest rated OT in college football at 90.6. He did allow 3 sacks in 2017 along with 2 QB hits and 10 QB hurries, which put his pass blocking in the middle of the pack. However, his run blocking was ridiculously good, "obliterating the competition" to quote the link.
And also, Andre Smith struggles with speed rushers in the NFL yet he still was a projected an early first-rounder and went to the Bengals at 6. Do I think Smith was worth the 6 overall looking back? Probably not, but he still deserved to be a first rounder.
And there are not a ton of AMAZING OTs in next year's draft that would put McGlinchey as a third rounder either. If so, McGlinchey wouldn't be rated the top overall OT in college football. Clearly you're overrating next year's class.

Personally, I think you greatly undervalue run blocking and overvalue pass blocking.
Well this is my point. I guess. If I want a amazing run blocking tackle that can also hold up against all pass rushers, I'm taking Orlando brown over mcg. Mcg just has to many questions marks and struggled in the biggest games in pass pro. Brown didn't. And if u draft mcg ur putting him at rt and hoping to iron out the issues. Which I fairness we have a good oline coach now. I'm not trusting mcg to protect his blindside anymore than ogbuehi. Maybe 3rd rounder was a little too hard he'd probably be a second rounder next year bc u have the next whitworth coming out next year in Trey Adams.but bottom line is I don't think he can hold up against the pass rushers in the NFL. Myles Garrett, takk.mccinley, von mileer, etc. I think he'd get eaten alive. So if we're going overall, I'll take brown over mcg.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:38 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Which is what 90 percent of pass rushers in the NFL have. Im gonna go back and rewatch the biggest games, but my first impression wasn't great. If he couldn't do great against leverage speed rushers, what makes u thinking he'll do well against much more talented rushers in the NFL?
Well this is my point. I guess. If I want a amazing run blocking tackle that can also hold up against all pass rushers, I'm taking Orlando brown over mcg. Mcg just has to many questions marks and struggled in the biggest games in pass pro. Brown didn't. And if u draft mcg ur putting him at rt and hoping to iron out the issues. Which I  fairness we have a good oline  coach now. I'm not trusting mcg to protect his blindside anymore than ogbuehi. Maybe 3rd rounder was a little too hard he'd probably be a second rounder next year bc u have the next whitworth coming out next year in Trey Adams.but bottom line is I don't think he can hold up against the pass rushers in the NFL. Myles Garrett, takk.mccinley, von mileer, etc. I think he'd get eaten alive. So if we're going overall, I'll take brown over mcg.

I think the bolded is fair, although Brown isn't the end-all-be-all when it comes to pass protection either. His size does limit him, but he moves well for how big he is.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the bolded is fair, although Brown isn't the end-all-be-all when it comes to pass protection either. His size does limit him, but he moves well for how big he is.

To clarify I was stating if we're draft both as rt I would take brown over mcg. Bc I don't think either has the ability to play lt. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:52 PM)Jpoore Wrote: To clarify I was stating if we're draft both as rt I would take brown over mcg. Bc I don't think either has the ability to play lt. 

I can also understand that perspective as well that both are more ideal fits at RT compared to LT. I just disagree that neither doesn't have the ability to play LT.
I think it's more that they might just be solid LTs vs above-average to elite RTs.
But I'd take "just" a solid player over a bust like Ogbuehi.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can also understand that perspective as well that both are more ideal fits at RT compared to LT. I just disagree that neither doesn't have the ability to play LT.
I think it's more that they might just be solid LTs vs above-average to elite RTs.
But I'd take "just" a solid player over a bust like Ogbuehi.

Thing about McGlinchey is his issue is a correctable.

He has everything you want in a tackle. Length Size natural bender heavy hands aggressive blocker (Run & pass). 

That is why he's being ranked so high.

The next OT on my list would be Miller.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Thing about McGlinchey is his issue is a correctable.

He has everything you want in a tackle. Length Size natural bender heavy hands aggressive blocker (Run & pass). 

That is why he's being ranked so high.

The next OT on my list would be Miller.

I think the most appealing thing for McGlinchey is that he's someone you can throw in there day one and you know he's going to be at the very least serviceable. I was on the Connor Williams train for a little while, but I reconsidered. We just aren't the team to take that risk. 

I would be more than happy with McGlinchey as our first pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 06:20 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I think the most appealing thing for McGlinchey is that he's someone you can throw in there day one and you know he's going to be at the very least serviceable. I was on the Connor Williams train for a little while, but I reconsidered. We just aren't the team to take that risk. 

I would be more than happy with McGlinchey as our first pick.

This.

Let's say the ceiling is 100 and floor is 0.
With the state the Bengals are in, I'd take a guy with a floor of 60 and ceiling of 80 over a guy with a ceiling of 90 but a floor of 40.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
At this point in the off season, McGlinchey is probably my top pick for the Bengals. He may not even be available.

Early on the OT class this year is odd. You have players like Brown and Williams who, based on where you look, are considered either first round locks or third round picks, which is bizarre. And then you have McGlinchey who seems to be falling for, as far as I can tell, no reason other than he's just not a hot name anymore. The NFL Draft is all about hype and McGlinchey has been known since before this season, which just doesn't get people's blood flowing for whatever reason. That could work in our favor if he falls to 12 because of it.

I'm going to keep an eye on Okorafor as the off season goes on, because he has the kind of athleticism teams crave for an LT, but he'd have to make his way up draft boards with his work outs to be worth a top 15 pick. He's another one of these "great athletes that lack technique" guys, that are always risky to draft.
Reply/Quote
With McGlinchey, I think that you're going to get a player that is smart, disciplined, and easy to coach. I've seen nothing in his play that would indicate that he's not physically capable, has an serious technique or desire/attitude deficiencies to overcome. You might say that I view him as the "safe" pick to become the long term LT. I also feel that he could really benefit from playing next to a smart, experienced player like Clint Boling.

As a bonus; With the discovery that Clint Boling can easily fill in at LT, they could always kick McGlinchey inside for a while, should he be having struggles.

Edit: I like McGlinchey better than Orlando Brown, because I fear that his massive size could prove to be a detriment at LT. The new trend of the smaller speed rushers would likely have little trouble getting under and around him. I do love him as a RT candidate, where he could have more TE help on the edge.

Connor Williams? Are you freaking serious? After the Ogbuehi debacle, some are actually willing to take more damaged goods at LT?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 11:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With McGlinchey, I think that you're going to get a player that is smart, disciplined, and easy to coach.  I've seen nothing in his play that would indicate that he's not physically capable, has an serious technique or desire/attitude deficiencies to overcome.  You might say that I view him as the "safe" pick to become the long term LT.  I also feel that he could really benefit from playing next to a smart, experienced player like Clint Boling.

As a bonus;  With the discovery that Clint Boling can easily fill in at LT, they could always kick McGlinchey inside for a while, should he be having struggles.

Edit:  I like McGlinchey better than Orlando Brown, because I fear that his massive size could prove to be a detriment at LT.  The new trend of the smaller speed rushers would likely have little trouble getting under and around him.  I do love him as a RT candidate, where he could have more TE help on the edge.

Connor Williams?  Are you freaking serious?  After the Ogbuehi debacle, some are actually willing to take more damaged goods at LT?

I'm with you. Brown and Williams have great potential, but they feel (far) more risky than McGlinchey. I want a player that I can be highly confident will be a good starter at minimum.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote