Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MDD No Trade Simulation 2/18
I went into this simulation with the same assumptions that I and others have made for their drafts which I feel are pretty safe bets:

* Re-signed Players:
Tanner Hudson
Cody Ford
Trenton Irwin
Cal Adomitis
Joe Bachie
Akeem Davis-Gaither

*Probable Re-signed Players:
DJ Reader - at least a 1 year deal
Tee Higgins - Franchise tag
Drew Sample

*Probable Losses
Tyler Boyd
Chido Awuzie
Irv Smith

I believe all of the above could be considered relatively accurate as to what could happen with the current crew of free agents that the Bengals are looking at heading into the '24 offseason. So now the draft!

Reply/Quote
RD.1 - 18th Selection:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIyPPVIxKsf1iFQCihmPp...g&usqp=CAU]

J.C. Latham - OT - Bama - 6'6" 335-360

Latham is about as clean a prospect as you could hope for in the first round and having him still on the board at #18 is a real benefit to the Bengals who need a long term answer at RT which they have been searching for since Big Willie. Latham could absolutely be that guy. His play at RT seems almost effortless which could be due to his elite power, size, and length at the position. His pass sets are very smooth and he processes stunts and twists immediately. In the run game he is an absolute bulldozer that is a people mover.

In watching film on Latham what I noticed is that a majority of his "bad" snaps were produced by QB play with Milroe either holding the ball far too long or Milroe actually running into pressure which comes with a young prospect starting at QB. 

What the Bengals get with Latham is an extremely savvy mountain of a man at RT that plays with natural ability and very refined technique. There should not be an issue with Latham lining up at RT on day 1 and his high ceiling could project him as being A high end RT for the considerable future for the Bengals.

Notables on the board:
7) B. Bowers - TE  Personally I am not as enamored with Bowers as many others and I felt as if the Bengals have a far greater need at RT than TE and got more value with the Latham selection.

RD. 2 - 49th Selection:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfESrNV-vpuPKF4hL9AYr...w&usqp=CAU]

Devontez Walker - N. Carolina - 6'2" 197

There is a lot to like about Walker and there are things that Walker will have to work on at the NFL level. Walker needs to build upon his route tree and refine his ability to run routes as well as work on his blocking in the run game. He needs to continue to improve his hands catching and not allow balls to get into his body. With these things stated and clear he is still one of the most dangerous vertical threats in the '24 NFL Draft.

If Higgins remains and plays on the tag it will be a huge benefit for Walker who will be able to continue to develop as he earns snaps. If Higgins does not return on the tag then the vertical ability of Walker will have to be respected when he is on the field. The Bengals have done a good job getting their WRs on the field at the right time and I believe it would continue in this case. 

Walker brings good size, speed, and length to the field and he has shown against defenses such as Georgia, who continue to churn out NFL talent, that he is a playmaker and should be an excellent addition as weapon for the Bengals offense.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNl55U9WH7Z3egw2wUGDa...Q&usqp=CAU]

Ruke Orhorhoro - DT - Clemson - 6'4" 290

Orhorhoro is a player you like even more the more tape you watch on him. What is incredible is that he did not start playing football until his junior year in high school. He plays with incredible raw power, explosion off of the snap, and violent hands. Clemson has a reputation of putting out extremely well coached and refined defensive line prospects and Ruke carries on that tradition. He comes with position versatility as he lined up at virtually every defensive line position for the Tigers and performed at a high level at each one of them.

Ruke has a frame that certainly could add more mass and even more strength at the NFL level and I could see him beginning as a 3 tech that could eventually align at the NT in the base defense and as a NT rotation piece on passing downs early on. Okorhoro has a very high ceiling as a disruptive DT in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
RD. 4 - 116th Selection:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjBkZ67j0beHOEsCxMVLA...w&usqp=CAU]

Mar'Keise Irving - RB - Oregon - 5'10" 195

I could see the Bengals cutting ties with Joe Mixon before the season as I believe they are revamping their running game and that started with bringing Chase Brown in last season. Many fans wanted to see Jahmyr Gibbs brought in last season and this season they get that guy in Irving. Irving brings elite speed, acceleration, and vision to the RB position. Irving is a legit threat to take the ball the distance no matter where he gets it on the field. As a receiver he is a natural playmaker as well and will offer the Bengals the change of pace back that continues to expand their offense and another outstanding weapon.

The 1-2 punch of Brown and Irving could prove extremely dynamic for the Bengals offense.

RD. 5 - 148th Selection:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7Qnd25Ou3xAdRjF43xhO...w&usqp=CAU]

Theo Johnson - TE - Penn State - 6'6" 257

Johnson could be the mix of blocker and big time receiving threat that the Bengals have been seeking at the TE position. Johnson is well versed as a blocker and from many position alignments from the H-back position to an inline run blocker. He brings strong technique to this aspect of the game and is very effective in this role. As a receiver Theo shows natural hands, good long speed, and the ability to produce yards after the ball is in his hands. Johnson is more fast than quick and while he can threaten the back of a defense it is build up speed and not immediate acceleration. As with most receivers Johnson will need to continue to refine his route running as he has a tendency to round off his cuts rather than snapping into them with suddenness.
Reply/Quote
RD. 5 - 175th Selection:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmC0iiOxMWHvQZSZUXBqN...Q&usqp=CAU]

Trevin Wallace - LB - Kentucky - 6'1" 244

As a junior Wallace was a team captain for the Wildcats and was on the Butkus Watch List. He is a versatile linebacker that seems to make plays in all parts of the game. Wallace plays sideline to sideline with good speed and is smooth in coverage roles. He is aggressive and plays downhill which can be both a strength and weakness or him. Wallace needs to watch playing too fast and too aggressively as he can be prone to overrun some plays. He is a very solid tackler and uses good angles in pursuit. Wallace needs to continue to his recognition ability but overall he is a very solid LB prospect who has a lot of experience on special teams where he could certainly have a big impact early on.

RD. 6 - 196th Selection:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbdj4_60fbjxWlFnf3I3P...w&usqp=CAU]

Sataoa Laumea - OL - Utah - 6'4" 319

Laumea has played both guard and tackle for the Utes but played his best football on the inside. He has outstanding strength and length for playing inside. While his 33" arms are not elite for the outside it gives him really good length at guard. He has the power to move people in the running game and good natural anchor in passing sets. He will need to continue to work on some technique issues such as pad level and bend. Overall, Laumea has played a lot of football for the Utes and has some true natural skills that need to be honed but has the upside of being a high quality guard at the NFL level.

RD. 7 - 235th Selection:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuNaj8Vx43ExTwkCYC1gx...A&usqp=CAU]

Jarius Monroe - CB - Tulane - 6'1" 200

Monroe was a transfer from Nicholls State who immediately showed that the move up in competition was not too big for him. Monroe brings good size, length, and speed to the position and has displayed good ball skills. He is a solid tackler who plays very well in run support and as a tackler in the open field. Has displayed good feet and quickness to go with good acceleration to cover ground in zone. Seems to play with good balance and instincts and overall looks to be a solid young prospect who just needs to continue to hone his game and develop as he has to this point. Should have special teams value early on and enough skill to make the 53 as a backup DB early.
Reply/Quote