Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MDD Simulation - Highest Rated Player
So, I decided to see what would happen if I went almost solely best player available unless it was a position previously selected or that just did not fit at all. This was the result which I was pretty happy with.

RD. 1 - 28th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDhEoYE4zVOG86u7YHBWS...g&usqp=CAU]

Brian Branch - S - Bama - 6'0" 190

This was rough considering we drafted Dax Hill last year but he was by far the best player on the board and many pundits consider him about the safest selection in the first round. Everyone is considering him a day 1 starter that compares to Minkah Fitzpatrick. Branch is fast and strong and brings excellent man cover skills. Can cover virtually any slot receiver or TE in the passing game. Branch has demonstrated elite football IQ and checks every box that there is to be checked at the safety position. What a young group of safeties with Branch, Hill, and Tycen Anderson.

RD. 2 - 60th Overall

Carolina offered a deal hard to pass up while only moving down a single selection offering 2-61 and 4-132 and I felt I could still get the highest rated fit.

RD. 2 - 61st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJJesA5D4unv1GeWsvgjY...w&usqp=CAU]

Tucker Kraft - TE - S. Dakota St. - 6'5" 255

Yes he is a small school product but his skills are those that translate to the next level. Kraft has outstanding hands and plus athleticism for his size. He creates YAC and is a very touch tackle once he has the ball. Kraft is a very good inline blocker who looks to finish blocks and to block until the whistle. If the Bengals are able to bring Hurst back this would be a really good TE duo and being able to work with a pro like Hurst would be a huge benefit for Kraft.

RD. 3 - 92nd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxEUOsszopk3jTzJJlpog...Q&usqp=CAU]

Eli Ricks - CB - Bama - 6'2" 188

The highest rated player had the Bengals returning to the Bama secondary. Many my relate Ricks to Kirkpatrick but remember that he started his career at LSU and they know CBs. Ricks is extremely long and brings good physical traits to the position. He is very sticky in man coverage. Ricks has not had a lot of starting experience at Bama but in what he has had he has 5 INTs and 2 of those were returned for scores. Ricks will need to continue to get stronger and be more assertive against the run but overall brings a good skill set to the position.

RD. 4 - 131st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPVFNnQptKnL9eFbZXzTD...w&usqp=CAU]

Tyler Scott - WR - UC - 5'11" 185

SPEED! Scott will need to work on his routes at the NFL level and clean up little things when it comes to running routes but this kid is a legit threat to take the top off of a defense every time he is on the field. A very smooth and fluid player at all speeds and has been compared to T.Y. Hilton because of their similarities in build and how they play the game and that is pretty good company to be in. Scott is electric with ball in his hands and produces  excellent YAC. Has a really good profile to excel as a punt returner as well. Another explosive athlete to continue to improve this offense.

RD. 4 - 132nd Overall

This was the selection acquired in the trade with Carolina. At this point NE offered a really good deal that was one where I was confident the Bengals could still get the highest rated fit. NE received the 132nd overall selection and the Bengals received 4-135, 6-187, and '24 Round 5 selection.

RD. 4 - 135th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2EgDaCApZOhSqSVzhKeB...Q&usqp=CAU]

Wanya Morris - OT - Oklahoma - 6'5" 317

When being recruited for college Morris was a 5 star prospect who started his collegiate career at Tennessee. He started 12 games at LT as a true freshman while Wright played RT and OG. His play regressed a bit and ultimately he transferred to Oklahoma. Since being at Oklahoma Morris has started to regain his old form. Morris has elite length and plus athleticism for either OT position but shows poor hand placement in many cases. Hand placement should be coachable and if a coaching staff can help him find his former self then they could have a starting LT prospect and at the worst a very solid swing tackle.

RD. 5 - 165th Overall Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMNMHgYPblRwDn6PQeAVm...A&usqp=CAU]

Israel Abanikanda - RB - Pitt - 5'11" 215

I have taken Israel at this point in many simulations and the reasoning fit with the criteria of this simulation. He was the highest rated player in a position not selected and that fit with the team make up. Israel is a very dynamic runner that can run inside or outside and who truly possesses another gear when he gets in the open field. He is very well proportioned and generally runs through first contact and keeps his legs driving in traffic. He has shown excellent vision and the ability to set up and follow his blocks. There are going to be questions about his ability to contribute in catching out of the backfield as he was not really used in this capacity at Pitt. I would not be shocked to see him be the best back to come out of this draft. Israel has been compared to someone the Bengals have got to know over the last couple of seasons...Isiah Pacheco.

RD. 5 - 187th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwTRLNJPOz1prOtZ-StmT...A&usqp=CAU]

Keondre Coburn - DT - Texas - 6'2" 332

This was the selection acquired in the NE trade. Coburn should be a strong addition to the DT rotation in giving DJ Reader a breather as well as a solid starter in the event of injury. Coburn is really athletic for his size and while he is not considered a pass rusher he can disrupt the backfield with the short area quickness that he possesses. He is very strong and ties up blockers in the running game. Should be a very good addition to the DL room and a solid interior player for Lou and this defense.

RD.6 - 206th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkFJZond9bTVO7wYs1-Nn...Q&usqp=CAU]

Habakkuk Baldonado - DE - Pitt - 6'4" 251

Baldonado is a raw edge prospect that has already shown the ability to set the edge in the run game and the ability to disrupt the backfield and get to the QB. Baldonado is a developing player and will need to refine his pass rushing technique as well as add more moves to his rushing toolbox. He has had to fight thru some injuries but in 14 starts in '21 he managed 9 sacks and 12 TFL. The potential is certainly there and his ceiling is a relatively high one. Working in a room that includes Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai should be a real benefit for Baldonado.

RD. 7 - 248th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTt4pzth16gs9PvtAknugA...Q&usqp=CAU]

Cam Jones - LB - Indiana - 6'1" 226

Jones was a three time captain at IU and the staff their has expressed how much of a leader he has been for their team. He is a former defensive back and understands coverage. Has shown the ability to read and diagnose offensive plays and is an explosive player that shows the aggression desired at the LB position. Jones needs to continue to develop as a LB while adding more strength and a bit more mass but he has shown to be a willing learner and to be very coachable. Should be a good addition to the LB room.
Reply/Quote
I had Brian Branch fall once again in another MDD Simulation so I followed the same criteria of highest ranked/value player only this time went no trades. I honestly feel like this could even be a better outcome.

RD.1 - 28th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR_5vQe01kENtn8r-8Epn...w&usqp=CAU]

Brian Branch - S - Bama - 6'0" 190

RD. 2 - 60th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTf7logS6xGFTPAArDObPe...w&usqp=CAU]

Matthew Bergeron - OT/OG - Syracuse - 6'5" 323
(I could have selected Stevenson from Miami but he is terrible in zone and would not fit our scheme)

RD. 3 - 92nd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv_yRmYxBiCsJLfWCHEtt...A&usqp=CAU]

D.J. Turner - CB - Michigan - 5'11" 178

RD. 4 - 131st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPVFNnQptKnL9eFbZXzTD...w&usqp=CAU]

Tyler Scott - WR - UC - 5'11" 185

RD. 5 - 165th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOULftzBTCvkAxII-5q15...A&usqp=CAU]

Cameron Latu - TE - Alabama - 6'5" 245

RD. 6 - 206th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvYNnqW9NVdZqb_bDcbPK...w&usqp=CAU]

Keondre Coburn - DT - Texas - 6'2" 332