Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MDD Simulation - Paris Johnson Jr. slides
I have been hearing more talk that Paris Johnson Jr. could slide in the draft. I ran a simulation on Mock Draft Database where this actually happened today and it turned out very interesting I thought. Paris Johnson Jr. was there at #28 but I also had an offer from New Orleans. I made the trade with them getting the 28th overall selection and the Bengals receiving picks 1-29, 2-71, and 4-148.

RD. 1 - 29th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0BlXrbvIiZ1iJf2tOhbS...Q&usqp=CAU]

Paris Johnson Jr. - OT - The Ohio State - 6'6" 310

Johnson Jr. is big, long, and well proportioned for the blind side in the NFL. There seems to be a consensus that he will be a very good OT at the NFL level the varying opinions seem to be when it will happen. While he brings the traits you are looking for in a + starter at LT there is also some refinement in technique and strength that needs to be added to handle the defenders he will face on a regular basis at the next level. This should be ideal for the Bengals who seem committed to Jonah Williams at least for the upcoming season. This would give Johnson the opportunity to work on deficiencies as well as be the first tackle off of the bench. This move could add the next long term LT for the Bengals.

RD . 2 - 60th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQotNlUqMt-MOM0_4CYVrS...Q&usqp=CAU]

Tucker Kraft - TE - S. Dakota St. - 6'5" 255

Ideally the Bengals will reach a deal to bring Hayden Hurst back while as well drafting Kraft. Tucker is just a very complete TE who has drawn comparisons to Pat Freiermuth and if he can replicate close to the first two seasons that Pat has had then the Bengals are in great shape. Kraft has fantastic hands, is a good blocker, has shown the ability to exploit the seams, ability to get yards after the catch, and it a tough tackle once he gets the ball. As with any small school player there is the question of competition but most experts agree that his skill and play translates immediately to the NFL. Being able to learn from Hurst how to be a professional at this level would just be an added bonus.

RD. 2 - 71st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwrbzbr-DnY8r0BmsntD1...A&usqp=CAU]

D.J. Turner II - CB - Michigan - 6'0" 180

Let's start with the boxes he does not check...length and strength. What does he bring to the table? Elite speed, elite technique, elite feet and hips, as well as just being an explosive athlete. Turner is NFL ready and what he lacks in length and strength he makes up for by using superior technique and athleticism. Turner should add some mass and strength in an NFL training program which should only help him but straight out of the draft a team is getting a kid that will immediately push for snaps. An added bonus is joining his former teammate Dax Hill in this secondary.

RD. 3 - 92nd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTf7logS6xGFTPAArDObPe...w&usqp=CAU]

Matthew Bergeron - OT/OG - Syracuse - 6'5" 323

It was not my intent to go back to the O line at this point but I also was not going to just pass on the best player sitting on the board. Bergeron is an absolute brute who brings real versatility to the field. He is experienced at both tackles spots but his build and game may be even better suited to moving inside. He is a road grader in run blocking and while he is not as good a pass blocker the deficiencies I have seen should be coachable. When you look at his poor pass blocking snaps a majority simply came down to poor hand placement. He has drawn comparisons to Joel Bitonio which is damn fine company to be in. Whether inside or outside Bergeron adds a depth piece and eventual high caliber starter that would have served this team well over the end of the last two seasons.

RD. 4 - 131st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ-spf36MjDFDypTP_8St...Q&usqp=CAU]

Israel Abanikanda - RB - Pitt - 5'11" 215

Israel seems to slowly ascending draft boards and I would not be shocked to seem him end up being the best back to come out of this class. He has outstanding feet with the strength to run between the tackles and run through initial contact while also possessing the shiftiness and quickness to beat defenders to the edge. When he gets in the open field he has another gear all together and will flat run away from defenders. Was not used in the much in the passing game at Pitt but that does not mean he will not be a factor in the passing game. He is young and has some refinements to make to his game but overall a very good young running back that has been compared to Isiah Pacheco whom Bengals fans know well.

RD. 4 - 148th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIPUXiUW9Vy4Q5cubGraq...w&usqp=CAU]

A.T. Perry - WR - Wake Forest - 6'3" 195

Perry brings really good size, length, strength, and speed to the table. Has the long speed to be a serious vertical threat and is just smooth as a wide out. Has struggled on occasion with drops but was extremely productive for Wake and in '22 had over 80 catches for over 1000 yards and notched 11 TDs. So while he may drop and occasional ball it has not been detrimental to his production. Perry has drawn comparisons to DeVante Parker. This kid should be great addition to our room of weapons.

RD. 5 - 165th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSShK3eL5LiCQ1pxwpn46c...Q&usqp=CAU]

Riley Moss - CB - Iowa - 6'0" 193

Moss may not be ideally suited for a team that plays a majority of man coverage but is well versed for a zone scheme. There will be some talk by pundits about moving him to safety and concern about overall speed but I believe that Riley has shown he is an effective corner and I believe a team should look first to play him as such. He has good size and length and has shown outstanding instincts for the game. In '21 he was the Big 10 Defensive Back of the year and has 11 INTs during his tenure at Iowa. Should provide very solid depth for this secondary which is something they are in need of.

RD. 6 - 206th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfzej533y8m-FGsCXOjfw...g&usqp=CAU]

Habakkuk Baldonado - DE - Pitt - 6'4" 251

Baldonado is work in progress but his game has shown some real promise. He has already shown the ability to set the edge against the run and has shown flashes of his ability in getting to the QB. His combine showing represent the quickness and burst that you are looking for in an edge player with a 10 yard split of 1.67 and a 40 below 4.8. Hobby should have a good time coaching this kid up and Baldonado should benefit greatly from the room he will be a part of with Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai.

Rd. 7 - 248th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCv_BLqnz1FywDLXSsnck...Q&usqp=CAU]

Hunter Luepke - FB/RB - N. Dakota St. - 6'1" 235

I was looking LB here but was not going to leave this kid sitting on the board. Luepke was a do it all tool for the Bison offense and I see him adding many of the things that Perine does or did for the offense and maybe more. Luepke played FB and RB in the Bison offense and brings a strong skill set to the field. He has really good vision, excellent receiver out of the backfield, very good lead blocker, and really good picking up blocks in pass protection. While Hunter is not a speed back he has shown the ability to get to the second level and it an extremely touch tackle. Could be a weapon in many ways for this offense and a serious force as a short yardage back.

*Disclaimer - I do not expect Paris Johnson Jr. to fall to us in this draft however, that is how the simulation fell and there are explainable ways that it could happen.
Reply/Quote