Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kelee Ringo
I've seen him projected to be taken throughout the first round. I don't know why he isn't being graded in the top-5. IT factor, intangibles, and all the required athleticism for the position.
Reply/Quote
If I had #1 overall and couldn't trade it. I feel like he would be on the list. I've always felt he was out of reach so I haven't actually seen much of his play though.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 04:36 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: I've seen him projected to be taken throughout the first round. I don't know why he isn't being graded in the top-5. IT factor, intangibles, and all the required athleticism for the position.

It's a crazy deep class for elite CB prospects. NFL had Kelee as the 6th ranked CB at the combine. I could easily see Kelee being in play at 28 and I think there's a great chance CB is our list pick. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's going to be boom or bust at the NFL level. He's a gambler that relied on the best defensive front in college football to create mistakes on the back end. Got burned on double moves A LOT at the college level. Gonna need a couple of seasons to adjust at the pro level. I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole in the first two rounds. I have a feeling that one team is going to be very sorry that they picked him.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 04:36 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: I've seen him projected to be taken throughout the first round. I don't know why he isn't being graded in the top-5. IT factor, intangibles, and all the required athleticism for the position.

I see him completely differently. High bust potential. He has not demonstrated he can actually cover people. Gets burned A LOT.

Ringo is a guy I'd avoid at all costs. He is the Jaylen Duncan of the CB room. He looks the part athletically, but is lacking in the field. 

You could take a guy like Jakorian Bennett from Maryland (4.30 40) much later as a project. I want a player, not a project, at #28. 
Reply/Quote
Tiger
I like Ringo as an elite potential type that happened to struggle in big games this past season. If you look back to August he was a top five overall prospect. To me your looking at an NFL safety with All-Pro traits that happens to be able to play cornerback in a pinch. I wouldn't be at all angry with the selection as a utility type. The fans need to understand that the position group could very well be decimated via FA so think outside the box.
Reply/Quote
I like the overall package of Ringo but feel he could run very hot or cold at the NFL level. Give me D.J. Turner II in the second round. He may not have ideal height or length for the position but he brings elite speed, elite technique, and elite football IQ to the cornerback position. He is a technician that is always in great position and has outstanding ball skills.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 04:51 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I like the overall package of Ringo but feel he could run very hot or cold at the NFL level. Give me D.J. Turner II in the second round. He may not have ideal height or length for the position but he brings elite speed, elite technique, and elite football IQ to the cornerback position. He is a technician that is always in great position and has outstanding ball skills.

Same, we don't need to add another gambler in Kelee Ringo. CTB was a gambler in college but he got better as his rookie season 
went on and became more patient, this was my only problem with CTB is he would gamble too much and get beaten on double 
moves and this sounds even worse with Ringo. DJ Turner on the other hand is patient and a technician with elite speed as you 
say here OSUfan. Turner is who I want if we go Corner early and hopefully in the 2nd round after getting Darnell Wright at 28. 
Reply/Quote

CBS NFL TV Sports has him as their 29th prospect, and we draft 29.  This could happen.  We could use a good young DB with Bates gone, but not at what Bates was wanting his pay raised to.  I just posted in a thread on Who Do You Want, and i said it could be Ringo.  I see him as a Nickle to start, which is OK, Bengals play Nickle 80 % of the time.  But he is heavyweight boxer size like Ali at 6'2" and 210 " and fast enough to play CB at Georgia, but young coming out as a sophomore.  He could give those 2 linebackers some help being Big, Fast, Young ....and Lou and his D Staff to coach him up.  ....Ringo might be just the young dude to replace Bates and end up a safety or a CB, but at first he would make a good Nickle with his Size and Speed and he won't get lit up like a rookie CB if starting at Nickle.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Does anyone have any film of kelee ringo getting burned? His film is very solid.
Reply/Quote
Not going to find many YouTube highlights of a prospect playing poorly.
Reply/Quote
I'd probably be ok with the pick if it went that way. His play shows some inconsistency though. Even the best CB's aren't perfect though. PFF says he committed 9 penalties last year which seems like a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 12:05 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I'd probably be ok with the pick if it went that way.  His play shows some inconsistency though.  Even the best CB's aren't perfect though.  PFF says he committed 9 penalties last year which seems like a lot.

There's a phrase that applies to playing coverage in CFB, "it's better to give up 15 than 6".  It's almost like giving the rest of the defense a redo, when a corner is about to get burnt deep.  That strategy often works out well at the college level, but in the NFL it's a spot foul, sometimes costing massive chunks of yardage.  

His draft profile also says that he plays really well against what is in front of him, but struggles with anticipating pattern breaks.  This guy has a huge ceiling, but could experience a bit of a learning curve if forced to start early on.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1NqOhUgyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX_n4hySwC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p68ju9r1euo

Film vs. Quentin Johnson, Marvin Harrison Jr., and Jameson Williams.

Other highlights show knack for int and forced fumbles and plays very smart against poorly thrown balls.

Does seem to allow slight separation at top of routes in the videos above, but doesn't make mistakes - looks to be premier man cover corner if he can learn to do a better job at point of attack.

Definitely an A+ prospect if you think he can continue to develop.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There's a phrase that applies to playing coverage in CFB, "it's better to give up 15 than 6".  It's almost like giving the rest of the defense a redo, when a corner is about to get burnt deep.  That strategy often works out well at the college level, but in the NFL it's a spot foul, sometimes costing massive chunks of yardage.  

His draft profile also says that he plays really well against what is in front of him, but struggles with anticipating pattern breaks.  This guy has a huge ceiling, but could experience a bit of a learning curve if forced to start early on.

These are good points. This is why I said remember he is coming out as a sophomore, so the UP side is he is young, the DOWN side is he is not far out of high school and would have a lot to still learn. He is young and at 6'2" and 210 lbs has Heavyweight Boxer size.  Bengals have Lou and his staff to coach him up.  Since he is only a sophomore, don't expect a lot his rookie year.  Use him in The Nickle.  In years to come he might be a Safety or a CB.  Bates up side was he was young, and Ringo would give Lou a young talent to develop. Big difference is the payroll difference between what Bates agent wanted and the far lesser amount Ringo would start out at.   As you say, huge ceiling but a learning curve.  OK, we could use a young dude to help out when in the Nickle and Dime packages. Young and at 6'2" and 210 lbs, he is like a young extra LB but a fast DB to be better than a LB on a pass catcher.  A good replacement for Bates and not eligible for free agency for a while as Bates was as a rookie.  Let Lou's D staff coach him up, and his youth, size, speed is such a raw talent worth developing since Bengals often play just 2 LBs but Ringo's size makes him like a DB and LB on the field.  Bates best thing was he was young, so bring in a young dude like Ringo. 

Playing just 2 LBs, when teams try to burn us just having 2 LBs, it would be nice to have a 6'2" and 210 lb DB like a LB on the field. As you said, a huge ceiling to this kid for Lou's staff to coach up. It would be nice to have a DB the size of a LB the way David Fulcher was. Would really help out Bengals playing 2 LB sets about 80% of the time. We would have more of an answer for Chubb and still have DB coverage.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'd avoid Ringo at all costs. I don't want any part of this dude.
Reply/Quote
Why don't we put these threads on individual prospects within the corresponding position group threads?

Wasn't that the idea?
Reply/Quote