Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MDD Trade Down Simulation
It seems rather apparent that the Bengals must seek help in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Running the ball at will and stopping the run are staples in the AFC North and the Bengals have struggled in both areas. With that in mind it seems to be a very good year to need a RT which is right in line with what Cincy needs. I believe that Latham is the most day 1 NFL ready RT prospect in the draft but he does not have the athletic upside that several of the others carry with them. Three of my favorite prospects that seem to bring really high upside with them are: 

Amarius Mims
Tyler Guyton
Kingsley Suamataia

I believe these are three prospects that could start out as RTs but have the athletic profile to serves as high end LTs eventually.

With that said I am assuming that the Bengals have a very good shot at returning DJ Reader as well as a decent shot at returning Tee Higgins not saying he is a sure thing but decent shot. I am assuming that both Trenton Irwin and Tanner Hudson are both back as RFAs.

With the needs that the Bengals have and their team make up I believe the Bengals could really help themselves by trading down in the first round if the opportunity should present itself and acquire meaningful draft capital in the early rounds. In this scenario I had just that opportunity and I believe it turned out really well for the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
The Trade:

Reply/Quote
The Draft:

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 29th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdyKgvENByEmrl2xv5lju...g&usqp=CAU]

Tyler Guyton - OT - Oklahoma - 6'7" 328

Guyton is just an athletically gifted prospect. He is a massive specimen and a former DT. The upside for Guyton is extremely high with many believing that he could become a very high end LT in the NFL. Elite natural power and ability to mirror athleticism. Violent hands and explosive off of the snap on running downs. Easily gets the second level in the running game and controlled and patient on passing downs. 

Yes there are concerns with Guyton with the most significant being a single season starting for the Sooners and that is a legit concern. I feel you must be able to look at what he has put on tape and consider how good he looks while he is still learning the nuances of the position and right now is able to dominate with pure natural ability. I believe it is a risk worth taking. I remember concern with the selection of Dawand Jones and he finished with a higher overall blocking grade than the Bengals veteran tackle Jonah Williams.

RD. 2 - 49th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT89gRDXIUZ-uyShXxe98b...Q&usqp=CAU]

T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4" 346

Just a massive mountain of a man and a nearly immovable object at NT. Ideally, if I were a team I would like to see Sweat drop about 10 lbs. to increase his quickness but overall he moves extremely well for a man his size. We all want Reader back and I for one hope his back but the Bengals still need a guy behind Reader that can stop the run at the same level and to be the heir apparent. If Reader is not back then this selection is almost a must. Sweat ended '23 with 2 sacks and 8 TFL which shows the disruptive force he is to an offensive backfield. Even more than his disruptive ability is the need to double team him which keeps other defenders clean. Not only does he demand double teams but he has shown the ability to consistently defeat double teams.

RD. 2 - 61st Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC_Oeup2l3pt2D-nziLMA...Q&usqp=CAU]

Tre Benson - RB - Fla. State - 6'1" 223

There is some debate as to who is the best RB in this draft but in my mind it is Benson. Watching him run to me is like watching art in progress. If you did not get to see much of him at FSU then I would suggest watching tape as it is just fun to watch. His game at the line of scrimmage is the definition of see hole hit hole. When a hole opens Benson simply explodes thru the hole and he displays elite vision in his running ability. Benson has elite foot talent and the speed to go the house any time he gets into the open field. Add to that one of the best stiff arms I have seen in awhile. Maybe most importantly, Benson has shown willingness and ability in pass protection which is a real concern for many young backs.

The duo of Benson and Brown would make for one extremely explosive tandem for the Bengals backfield.
Reply/Quote
RD. 3 - 80th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpwGYdiD8r4P_HCJotaPZ...w&usqp=CAU]

Sedrick Van Pran - C - Georgia - 6'4" 310

A highly experienced lineman who has made 43 straight starts at the position against some of the best defensive lines in the nation and has done it at an extremely high level. Van Pran has put his high football IQ on display week in and week out as well as his elite ability in getting the second level and taking on defenders on the move. His ability to process stunts and blitz threats as well as reacting them is at an elite level as well. In the run game, simply put, he moves people. He will need to continue to improve his ability to take on top tier power but this should come as he develops himself in a NFL strength and conditioning program.

I firmly believe in an honest competition that Van Pran beats Karras out for the starting center job. This would allow the Bengals to evaluate Karra moving to LG where he has also played in the NFL. If he does not beat Karras out then he should certainly be evaluated to upgrade either right or left guard.

RD. 4 - 115th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIwLtDTV_gKltZWLodUPn...g&usqp=CAU]

Khyree Jackson - CB - Oregon - 6'3" 195

Jackson brings outstanding size and length to the position and gives the Bengals a very different build at corner than they have on the roster. To go with really good speed Jackson has displayed outstanding ball skills. While having the skillset to be a very good man corner Jackson has showed nearly elite abilities as a zone defender and his ability to process what is happening on the field. This should fit very well with the Bengals defense. Jackson will need to continue to hone his game and while he plays a physical style of game he will need to temper that a bit at the NFL level to keep from drawing flags.

Overall Jackson should be an outstanding addition to the DB room especially if the Bengals lose Chido as expected.
Reply/Quote
RD. 5 - 147th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfffcaYbOLNNq5POJzjNX...A&usqp=CAU]

DeWayne Carter - DT - Duke - 6'3" 305

Being at Duke should speak a bit about overall IQ and his football IQ is right on par with the academic expectations. Carter could be the 3 technique that the Bengals have been seeking since Geno's departure. Behind BJ Hill the Bengals have struggled to find a 3 that impacts the game at a high level. Hill will be a FA after the '24 season so no time like the present to find the piece to replace him. While Geno was a strong pass rusher Carter is a bit stronger at stopping the run. That is not to say he does not disrupt that passing game but rather that it is an area that he is going to have to work a bit harder to improve. Another area he needs to work at is to wrap up better as a tackler as there has been some issue with missed tackles for the young man. 

Overall, the Bengals land a 3 down 3 tech that can be very disruptive to an offensive backfield that has an elite football IQ and plays with the motor to match.

RD. 5 - 174th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-Uw98975v8_cvztpwsTp...A&usqp=CAU]

Javion Cohen - OG - Miami (Fla.) - 6'4" 305

Cohen started his college career at Bama before transferring to Miami. As to be expected with a Bama product he shows high football IQ and is very sound technically. Cohen is experienced at both tackle and guard but showed the best playing left guard for the Canes. His experience at OT does show in his pass protection and his ability to mirror the athleticism of defenders. How good has been in pass protection? Sources credit him with either 1 sack in his college career or other sources credit him with not giving up any sacks in college. Pass protection is certainly his strong point. In the run game he is very good at getting to the second level and engaging but will need to improve his power in the running game at the line of scrimmage.

Overall, Cohen gives the Bengals another option at LG to compete with Volson who finished with a poor overall blocking grade of 58.3 which was an improvement from his 51.6 as a rookie. If Cohen or Karras were to take over at LG then Volson could work as a backup RT which may be more suited to his size and he is experienced playing tackle from college.
Reply/Quote
RD. 6 - 195th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlPnbAaHeysZCh0MxBuCU...Q&usqp=CAU]

Brevyn Spann-Ford - TE - Minnesota - 6'7" 263

A huge target in as a receiver and a sixth lineman in the running game. Spann-Ford uses very good technique when he is playing as an inline blocker and has extremely sound fundamentals in the role of a blocker. Improving his overall strength will help him to continue to develop as a run blocker. In the passing game he can offer some obvious challenges to defenders in being the size that he is and I feel that his athleticism is seriously underrated by many evaluators. I think that Spann-Ford is only beginning to become what he is capable or being as a receiving threat and when you watch tape of this guy I do not think that athleticism jumps out as an issue for a man of his size.

Overall the Bengals add a very intriguing prospect to team up with Tanner Hudson in the TE room.

RD. 7 - 234th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAyZqe_zFDsEyjXzJvXFP...w&usqp=CAU]

Bub Means - WR - Pitt - 6'2" 215

Watch interviews with or read interviews involving this young man and he is very easy to like football aside. On the field he is very talented WR. Means transferred from La. Tech to Pitt and has quickly become the Panthers biggest receiving threat. He brings good size. length, and speed to the position. While he may not have track speed he brings enough functional speed to threaten the backend of the defense and he seems to play with high football IQ when it comes to separating and making himself available to the QB. 

Overall the Bengals land a great kid who is really willing to work to show how immensely talented he truly is.

RD. 7 - 251st Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiMeVrbm8z40EFBAaBHnu...w&usqp=CAU]

Jarius Monroe - CB - Tulane - 6'1" 205

When I watch film on Monroe I see one of the more underrated corners in the draft and I just wonder if he would not be rated considerably higher if he played at a Bama or an Ohio State after rather than a Tulane after transferring from Nicholl St. ? Monroe has really good size and exceptional ball skills for the position. He plays well in run support and displays very sound tackling ability. He seemed to handle the transition in competition from Nicholls St. to Tulane with no issue. He plays are physical and aggressive brand of football which sound fundamentals. 

Overall the Bengals land a young corner prospect that brings good size, speed, and length to the position as well as a skillset that lends itself to eventual starting corner in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 09:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: RD. 6 - 195th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlPnbAaHeysZCh0MxBuCU...Q&usqp=CAU]

Brevyn Spann-Ford - TE - Minnesota - 6'7" 263

A huge target in as a receiver and a sixth lineman in the running game. Spann-Ford uses very good technique when he is playing as an inline blocker and has extremely sound fundamentals in the role of a blocker. Improving his overall strength will help him to continue to develop as a run blocker. In the passing game he can offer some obvious challenges to defenders in being the size that he is and I feel that his athleticism is seriously underrated by many evaluators. I think that Spann-Ford is only beginning to become what he is capable or being as a receiving threat and when you watch tape of this guy I do not think that athleticism jumps out as an issue for a man of his size.

Overall the Bengals add a very intriguing prospect to team up with Tanner Hudson in the TE room.

RD. 7 - 234th Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAyZqe_zFDsEyjXzJvXFP...w&usqp=CAU]

Bub Means - WR - Pitt - 6'2" 215

Watch interviews with or read interviews involving this young man and he is very easy to like football aside. On the field he is very talented WR. Means transferred from La. Tech to Pitt and has quickly become the Panthers biggest receiving threat. He brings good size. length, and speed to the position. While he may not have track speed he brings enough functional speed to threaten the backend of the defense and he seems to play with high football IQ when it comes to separating and making himself available to the QB. 

Overall the Bengals land a great kid who is really willing to work to show how immensely talented he truly is.

RD. 7 - 251st Selection:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiMeVrbm8z40EFBAaBHnu...w&usqp=CAU]

Jarius Monroe - CB - Tulane - 6'1" 205

When I watch film on Monroe I see one of the more underrated corners in the draft and I just wonder if he would not be rated considerably higher if he played at a Bama or an Ohio State after rather than a Tulane after transferring from Nicholl St. ? Monroe has really good size and exceptional ball skills for the position. He plays well in run support and displays very sound tackling ability. He seemed to handle the transition in competition from Nicholls St. to Tulane with no issue. He plays are physical and aggressive brand of football which sound fundamentals. 

Overall the Bengals land a young corner prospect that brings good size, speed, and length to the position as well as a skillset that lends itself to eventual starting corner in the NFL.

I would LOVE this draft!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 12:20 PM)3wt Wrote: I would LOVE this draft!

The first three are ridiculous and alone win this draft. Love the first three. Don’t see them retaining tee so I’d like to see a receiver maybe after benson. I think rice would be there and he reminds me of tee. Big tall vertical receiver strong hands not break away speed not a freak athelete but does every great nothing spectacular. Couple his pedigree which I am a strong believer in and we again have our new WR.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 05:15 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: The first three are ridiculous and alone win this draft.  Love the first three.  Don’t see them retaining tee so I’d like to see a receiver maybe after benson.  I think rice would be there and he reminds me of tee.  Big tall vertical receiver strong hands not break away speed not a freak athelete but does every great nothing spectacular.  Couple his pedigree which I am a strong believer in and we again have our new WR.

I get what you are saying about Tee but we may very well have his replacement already and with better speed and that is Andrei Iosivas. I believe that Iosivas and Charlie Jones are both going to be very productive receivers for the Bengals. Trenton Irwin as well should be back with the team.
Reply/Quote
Pretty good draft - but I'd be shocked if Guyton is there at that point after the senior bowl and would be equally shocked if Sweat was there as well.

I would be disappointed if we took a running back in round 2.

I don't think it's something that gets addressed in the draft, but even if they bring back Reader (I don't think they will), he's not going to be contributing until later in the season - if at all.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 07:24 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I get what you are saying about Tee but we may very well have his replacement already and with better speed and that is Andrei Iosivas. I believe that Iosivas and Charlie Jones are both going to be very productive receivers for the Bengals. Trenton Irwin as well should be back with the team.

I like Charlie jones a lot and yoshi but I don’t think the bengals are convinced on either as a replacement for Tee. I like Jones for Boyd but I’d wanna bring someone in early in the draft to replace tee and keep yoshi at 4. The bengals hit early on wideouts I trust them in the draft there early.
Reply/Quote