Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MDD Way too cold to do anything outside Simulation

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 18th Selection

My target selection was Amarius Mims and with the players available on the board and the make up of the Philly roster I felt safe that I could trade and improve draft capital while getting the player I wanted. So I accepted a trade with Philly sending them the 18th overall selection and the 115th selection in the 4th round for the 19th overall selection and the 83rd selection in the 3rd round.

RD. 1 - 19th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLXTQ-6dQqa2wioOljMKr...g&usqp=CAU]

Amarius Mims - OT - Georgia - 6'7" 340

Yes, the sample size is relatively small on Mims with him only having 8 collegiate starts but the traits as well as track record of producing quality offensive linemen that are extremely well coached make this a seemingly safer selection than it may normally be. The football IQ he has displayed could be considered elite when you look at how quickly he processes and reacts to what is happening on the field from the defense. Then there is the obvious in that he has elite size and athleticism for his size. Mims coupled with Brown Jr. make for a formidable pair of OTs.

Round 2 - 49th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkVDpbIzcGgw9pRb7hT4Q...Q&usqp=CAU]

T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4" 346

There are things that are for certain and that is in the AFC Central you have to be able to stop the run and that without DJ Reader in the lineup the Bengals struggled profoundly in this area. Even if Reader is re-signed this is the selection and provides the guy that can spell Reader as well as be the heir apparent to his position. Ideally, you would like to see Sweat shed 10-15 pounds and this should be achievable in an NFL weight and nutrition plan.

Sweat is a beast of a man who religiously requires double teams which keep other players clean to make plays but also is a player that has shown the ability to defeat double teams. He has elite strength and anchor along with very violent hands. Dropping some weight could also make him more of a factor in the passing game as well.

The name of the game in the AFC Central is the trenches and these first two selections improve this franchise on both fronts.
Reply/Quote
Round 3 - 80th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcKaaD7nigkmKFZPwmJKM...Q&usqp=CAU]

DJ James - CB - Auburn - 6'1" 165

James comes to Auburn via Oregon and at both places has shown outstanding football IQ and instincts for the position. James has very good length and speed for the position but will need to add more mass and strength as he transitions to the next level. DJ has shown the ability to play both man and zone schemes which is aided by his route recognition. While being slight framed the anticipation would be that James would continue to build his strength and mass as he works within a NFL strength and conditioning program.

The abilities of James will be welcome in the Bengals defensive backfield with Chido being a FA and even if Chido returned he has not appeared to be the same player that he was before his injury.

Round 3 - 83rd Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8s7lTRuC43ybC1It_r3w...Q&usqp=CAU]

Zach Frazier - C - West Virginia - 6'3" 310

Behind Ted Karras the Bengals have nothing at the center position and Karras is 30 years old. Frazier has started for 4 years at West Virginia with experience at guard before his final three seasons at center. When his career is talked about you will often hear evaluators use the term dominant which is an accurate assessment of his play at the center position. Frazier may not have elite size or length but he makes up for these traits with pure force, technique, and determination. Frazier immediately improves depth on the interior of the O line and provides for the first man off the bench at center or guard and a long term answer at the center position.
Reply/Quote
I didn't realize there was another McCaffrey in the family still playing college ball until I saw this mock.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
RD. 5 - 147th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlOZOZ-TPFKsy1MBNtfZA...g&usqp=CAU]

Jaden Hicks - S - Washington State - 6'3" 212

Hicks brings elite size and length to the position and plays a physical style of football while showcasing skills as a man cover safety. Hicks is a tough competitor who according to the coaching staff is also a high effort contributor. Hicks will need to work on his game when it comes to playing zone coverage but these are things that hopefully can be coached up at the NFL level.

Round 5 - 176th Selection (Traded 5-174 & 7-234 to Philly for 5-176 and 6-188)

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_fY4AR1JsxQLjCH51HIq...Q&usqp=CAU]

Ty'Ron Hopper - LB - Missouri - 6'2" 220

Hopper arrived at Missouri as a transfer from Florida and immediately proved himself to be a natural playmaker for the Mizzou defense. Hopper is a very solid tackler and has the coverage ability to run with TEs and to pick up RBs out of the backfield. Hopper is slight built and will probably benefit from working in an NFL strength and nutrition program to add more mass and strength to compete at the next level. Should offer a welcome skillset to the LB room.
Reply/Quote
RD 6 - 188th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBakmbLq2OxGg0yIdI0XX...Q&usqp=CAU]

Luke McCaffrey - WR - Rice - 6'2" 200

Yes he is the brother of Christian and comes with a good breed of athleticism which seems to run in the family. Luke brings good size and length to the position and is expected to run in the sub 4.5 range. Like Christian he is a fearless competitor with an outstanding football IQ. Will need to get stronger at the NFL level which should help him to improve as a blocker where he has the willingness to be good but just does not have the functional strength at this time. Has a frame that could add some mass without losing his quickness.

RD. 6 - 195th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDV07qn_smfLXOWzjLL1Z...Q&usqp=CAU]

Darius Robinson - DL - Missouri - 6'5" 291

Robinson brings elite size, length, and athleticism to the DL. Started as an inside player and moved to the edge to fill an opening for Missouri and he flourished while making the move. Brings excellent position versatility to the D line rotation to go with his outstanding size and strength. While there is much to like about Robinson he is still a work in progress and he does not possess the elite first step and twitch that the top pass rushers in the league generally possess.

RD. 7 - 251st Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqNJakwNnLr2jmMTvz0CK...g&usqp=CAU]

Tip Reiman - TE - Illinois - 6'5" 270

The potential in Reiman makes this one of my favorite selections in this simulation. Reiman is a punishing blocker at the TE position and when he was utilized as a receiver he generally produced. I believe that had Reiman found himself in a scheme that utilized him more in the receiving game that he would be going considerably higher in this draft. When you watch film on him as a receiver you see a guy that is a natural hands catcher and that moves extremely well for his size. When I watch Reiman I see a guy that could have a bright future in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
It's hard for me to see how this draft makes us a better team in '24.

Mims has massive upside, but he's extremely raw, inexperienced, and had injury concerns. Georgia OL are not really that well coached, either. Mims is a guy similar to Broderick Jones who came out of there last year. Basically, he just wins on athletic ability. I can get behind if a stopgap vet is also brought in, but I don't know that he represents a big, immediate upgrade. There will be growing pains.

Sweat has upside, but trusting a rookie NT to come in and start in the AFCN(which he will have to do even if Reader is resigned), is a tall order.

You kind of lose me when you're drafting a CB4-5 and a C2 instead of addressing WR2-3. Nothing against either guy as a prospect, but neither represents such great value at the slots you're taking them that you can't pass on them, need be damned.

ESPN put out their list of win rates by club, and the Bengals were 9th in Run Block Win Rate. The run game struggles are largely a component of lack of talent at RB, and you don't address the position at all.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 02:16 AM)Whatever Wrote: It's hard for me to see how this draft makes us a better team in '24.

Mims has massive upside, but he's extremely raw, inexperienced, and had injury concerns. Georgia OL are not really that well coached, either. Mims is a guy similar to Broderick Jones who came out of there last year. Basically, he just wins on athletic ability. I can get behind if a stopgap vet is also brought in, but I don't know that he represents a big, immediate upgrade. There will be growing pains.

Sweat has upside, but trusting a rookie NT to come in and start in the AFCN(which he will have to do even if Reader is resigned), is a tall order.

You kind of lose me when you're drafting a CB4-5 and a C2 instead of addressing WR2-3. Nothing against either guy as a prospect, but neither represents such great value at the slots you're taking them that you can't pass on them, need be damned.

ESPN put out their list of win rates by club, and the Bengals were 9th in Run Block Win Rate. The run game struggles are largely a component of lack of talent at RB, and you don't address the position at all.

Sorry i will take my eyes watching every game and taping them to know we did not block well and open holes especially tackle to tackle...

Also love to pick a NT high, we are very thin there, and a 1st or 2nd rounder can come in and start for us...and no way im putting my $$ on Reader with age and injuries, very likely to start on PUP list for any team
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 02:16 AM)Whatever Wrote: It's hard for me to see how this draft makes us a better team in '24.

Mims has massive upside, but he's extremely raw, inexperienced, and had injury concerns.  Georgia OL are not really that well coached, either.  Mims is a guy similar to Broderick Jones who came out of there last year.  Basically, he just wins on athletic ability.  I can get behind if a stopgap vet is also brought in, but I don't know that he represents a big, immediate upgrade.  There will be growing pains.

You kind of lose me when you're drafting a CB4-5 and a C2 instead of addressing WR2-3.  Nothing against either guy as a prospect, but neither represents such great value at the slots you're taking them that you can't pass on them, need be damned.  

ESPN put out their list of win rates by club, and the Bengals were 9th in Run Block Win Rate.  The run game struggles are largely a component of lack of talent at RB, and you don't address the position at all.

Well, to start with you do not average the amount of offense that Georgia does with the QBs they have had without outstanding offensive line play...period. Unfortunately, all upgrades are not immediate but passing on elite talent sitting there is not very smart at all.

Do explain why if Reader returns that a rookie would have to start. Seems a bit confusing does it not? As well, you previously complained about a rookie not making an immediate impact with the selection of Mims now you complain that a rookie may have to make an immediate impact. Riding that fence must be killing your crotch.

CB 4-5? You may want to check out the status of the Bengals roster. Right now you have under contract Hilton, Turner, Taylor-Britt, and Davis. Hilton is not going to play the boundary. When James was selected the only players ranked higher on the board than him were...J. Sanders - TE, C. Bullock - S, T. Benson - RB, R. Orhorhoro - DL, J. Brooks - RB. So unless your theory is to overdraft a position to fill that position then taking James was absolutely a solid selection.

Drafting James and Frazier were great value picks unless you have tunnel vision and are looking only at the '24 season which hopefully this franchise is not doing. 

Chase Brown is going to be an outstanding RB and him and Mixon are both back in '24.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 03:58 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well, to start with you do not average the amount of offense that Georgia does with the QBs they have had without outstanding offensive line play...period. Unfortunately, all upgrades are not immediate but passing on elite talent sitting there is not very smart at all.

Do explain why if Reader returns that a rookie would have to start. Seems a bit confusing does it not? As well, you previously complained about a rookie not making an immediate impact with the selection of Mims now you complain that a rookie may have to make an immediate impact. Riding that fence must be killing your crotch.

CB 4-5? You may want to check out the status of the Bengals roster. Right now you have under contract Hilton, Turner, Taylor-Britt, and Davis. Hilton is not going to play the boundary. When James was selected the only players ranked higher on the board than him were...J. Sanders - TE, C. Bullock - S, T. Benson - RB, R. Orhorhoro - DL, J. Brooks - RB. So unless your theory is to overdraft a position to fill that position then taking James was absolutely a solid selection.

Drafting James and Frazier were great value picks unless you have tunnel vision and are looking only at the '24 season which hopefully this franchise is not doing. 

Chase Brown is going to be an outstanding RB and him and Mixon are both back in '24.

By that logic, Jackson Carman would be great.  Mims has great talent, but the more I look into him, the inexperience frightens me in the short term and the injury history and inability to stay on the field scares me in the long run.  He's very boom/bust.  If I wasn't adding a stopgap in FA, I would probably go a safer pick at T in the 1st.

My assumption is that Reader won't be ready to start the season.  Hence, the backup having to start.  If you're operating under the assumption that Reader will be ready to start the season, then a new contract for him plus a 2nd rounder on his backup/rotation player is an awfully large investment.  

Did you forget DJ Ivey?  Sounds like it.  

TE isn't a need?  Sanders would either start immediately or see a lot of play time.  Same with Benson at RB.  My theory would be take immediate contributers in areas of need instead of taking a backup for worse value.

Mixon is steadily deteriorating and overpaid for what he brings.  Brown deserves some touches and has big play ability, but his vision is terrible and he takes a ton of negative plays.  Way too many to trust as an every down back.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 05:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: By that logic, Jackson Carman would be great.  Mims has great talent, but the more I look into him, the inexperience frightens me in the short term and the injury history and inability to stay on the field scares me in the long run.  He's very boom/bust.  If I wasn't adding a stopgap in FA, I would probably go a safer pick at T in the 1st.

My assumption is that Reader won't be ready to start the season.  Hence, the backup having to start.  If you're operating under the assumption that Reader will be ready to start the season, then a new contract for him plus a 2nd rounder on his backup/rotation player is an awfully large investment.  

Did you forget DJ Ivey?  Sounds like it.  

TE isn't a need?  Sanders would either start immediately or see a lot of play time.  Same with Benson at RB.  My theory would be take immediate contributers in areas of need instead of taking a backup for worse value.

Mixon is steadily deteriorating and overpaid for what he brings.  Brown deserves some touches and has big play ability, but his vision is terrible and he takes a ton of negative plays.  Way too many to trust as an every down back.

Sanders cannot block and when you don't block for the Bengals you do not play TE. Hudson is a good young TE but he started the season on the PS because he needed to improve his blocking.

I like Ivey but he is coming off a terrible injury and know one knows how he will come back from that and he also did not see many early snaps. Having a 7th round Ivey should not deter them at all from selecting a CB.

I am not sure where you got the terrible vision bit on Chase Brown but that could not be any less accurate. I have even went back and scoured draft evaluations of Brown and nowhere was vision remotely mentioned as an issue rather exactly the opposite:

Quote:
  • His vision is outstanding, and he has an innate understanding of when to go and when to sit back and wait for blocks to develop. Brown thrives as a one-cut back

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Chase-Brown-RB-Illinois
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 08:02 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Sanders cannot block and when you don't block for the Bengals you do not play TE. Hudson is a good young TE but he started the season on the PS because he needed to improve his blocking.

I like Ivey but he is coming off a terrible injury and know one knows how he will come back from that and he also did not see many early snaps. Having a 7th round Ivey should not deter them at all from selecting a CB.

I am not sure where you got the terrible vision bit on Chase Brown but that could not be any less accurate. I have even went back and scoured draft evaluations of Brown and nowhere was vision remotely mentioned as an issue rather exactly the opposite:

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Chase-Brown-RB-Illinois

Hudson can't block, either, and was basically used as big slot WR.  He's also 29 years old.  If you like what Hudson brings, why don't you pass on a great value on a younger, cheaper, way more talented version?  

I'm not saying don't draft a CB for depth.  I'm questioning a CB for depth over guys that can start at other positions and are better value.

It's not in his scouting reports, but he showed terrible vision this year, like the pro game is moving too fast for him.  He can make guys whiff and bust big ones, but again, he takes way too many big negative plays.  
Reply/Quote

Mims has massive upside, but he's extremely raw, inexperienced, and had injury concerns.  Georgia OL are not really that well coached, either.  Mims is a guy similar to Broderick Jones who came out of there last year.  Basically, he just wins on athletic ability.  I can get behind if a stopgap vet is also brought in, but I don't know that he represents a big, immediate upgrade.  There will be growing pains.

You kind of lose me when you're drafting a CB4-5 and a C2 instead of addressing WR2-3.  Nothing against either guy as a prospect, but neither represents such great value at the slots you're taking them that you can't pass on them, need be damned.  

ESPN put out their list of win rates by club, and the Bengals were 9th in Run Block Win Rate.  The run game struggles are largely a component of lack of talent at RB, and you don't address the position at all.

I went back and rewatched every Georgia offensive snap in the Peach Bowl against Ohio State and I no longer have concern with the inexperience of Mims. I also watched the Georgia offense against South Carolina from this season, in which Mims got injured, and I saw a right side of an offensive line that was not remotely as good without him. If he is still available for the Bengals at 18 then I certainly hope they select him.
Reply/Quote