Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML Article
(03-26-2018, 10:31 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Let's see what they do with replacing Bodine.

If we draft a good center in first or second round then I will admit that they have tried to make moves to help the team that are different from the normal and failed Mike Brown playbook.

Marvin still should have been fired.

Do not see any way they can not do this at this juncture. 

Still should try and bluff by claiming they are happy with Centers on roster even if nobody believes them. 

Am thinking that they should grab one in 1st unless certain players drop and even then would trade up to insure getting a good one with second pick imo. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 11:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the years I defended Marvin as much, if not more, than anyone around here.  But even I thought he should have been fired after last season.

But since things like this are completely beyond my control I will go forward as positive as possible.  I have absolutely nothing to gain by continuing to cry and whine about him being brought back as our head coach.

I am a Bengal fan and I want the Bengals to win more than I want to be right about some mistake they might have made.

In the big picture Marvin has won more than he has lost against other NFL coaches despite being handicapped by the worst owner in the league.  I don't think he gets enough credit for that.

I agree Fred except my point is that we should expect more of the same in games so long as Marv is the coach.

Sorry for being pessimistic but 15 years of ground hog day is hard to forget.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 01:39 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Do not see any way they can not do this at this juncture. 

Still should try and bluff by claiming they are happy with Centers on roster even if nobody believes them. 

Am thinking that they should grab one in 1st unless certain players drop and even then would trade up to insure getting a good one with second pick imo. 

:andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 01:34 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Do not really recall anybody not wanting Marvin gone last year. If there were it was a minuscule minority.

So let us hope we are all proven wrong and it was FO holding him back all along.

I thought he should have been fired the day after we had the meltdown in the 2015 playoff game with the Steelers.

I predicted the next two seasons would be downhill and they were.

Waste of two years

I hope this year is not the third. I am 63 and wont be around too much longer.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if a new coach would have gotten the things accomplished so far that Marvin has. He probably was our best chance for change, as much as it pains me to say it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Honestly... I'm ok with Marvin being brought back now. As I truly believe, for the first time in his head coaching career, he has wrestled an unprecedented amount of control from Mike Brown.

Paul Alexander not being brought back, Mike's BFF Pacman Jones being released, the trade for Cordy Glenn... All very non-typical moves for this franchise. Moves I loved and I don't believe happen if Marvin doesn't come back (all I'm waiting for now is the announcement of plans to construct a practice bubble Mellow  ). While it's still hard for me to see Marvin winning many primetime or playoff games, if he was able to gain complete control from Mike Brown... I'd say he's earned another two years to try. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 07:33 PM)McC Wrote: I wonder if a new coach would have gotten the things accomplished so far that Marvin has.  He probably was our best chance for change, as much as it pains me to say it.

This is kind of where I am on the topic of Marvin, right now.  While we'll never know exactly what is said in the meetings between him and Mike, one can only guess that Marvin insisted on some changes to be allowed, in order for him to remain.  So far, I like what I'm seeing from the coaching and personnel changes.

However, like some others have already mentioned, if the boneheaded in-game decisions continue, it will all be an effort in futility.  Now, if Marvin allows the Coordinators to actually call their own games, I'll be a believer.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 08:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is kind of where I am on the topic of Marvin, right now.  While we'll never know exactly what is said in the meetings between him and Mike, one can only guess that Marvin insisted on some changes to be allowed, in order for him to remain.  So far, I like what I'm seeing from the coaching and personnel changes.

However, like some others have already mentioned, if the boneheaded in-game decisions continue, it will all be an effort in futility.  Now, if Marvin allows the Coordinators to actually call their own games, I'll be a believer.

Me too.

All these moves could go a long way toward Marvin saving himself from himself.  The better the team and staff, the harder it is to muck it up.  At least that's what I'm hoping.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 08:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is kind of where I am on the topic of Marvin, right now.  While we'll never know exactly what is said in the meetings between him and Mike, one can only guess that Marvin insisted on some changes to be allowed, in order for him to remain.  So far, I like what I'm seeing from the coaching and personnel changes.

I just hope he understands that in-game adjustments are a crucial part of the game  Whatever Far too many times we've seen Marvin's teams play like world beaters in the first quarter/half, only to be thoroughly destroyed when the opposition makes some changes. It's like they figure out Marvin's game, adapt to it, and Marvin has no clue what to do. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 08:36 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I just hope he understands that in-game adjustments are a crucial part of the game  Whatever Far too many times we've seen Marvin's teams play like world beaters in the first quarter/half, only to be thoroughly destroyed when the opposition makes some changes. It's like they figure out Marvin's game, adapt to it, and Marvin has no clue what to do. 

Marvin must think a lot of Bill Lazor.  He gave him power no one before him ever had, let him bring in his guys to coach and one of his guys to back up Andy. 

Here's hoping Lazor believes in halftime adjustments and is free to use them.

Reply/Quote
That article did nothing for me.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 08:42 PM)McC Wrote: Marvin must think a lot of Bill Lazor.  He gave him power no one before him ever had, let him bring in his guys to coach and one of his guys to back up Andy. 

Here's hoping Lazor believes in halftime adjustments and is free to use them.

Wouldn't it be so nice to see this team force it's will on some good teams in the 2nd half when it counts, under the lights, the Steelers, must wins etc. 

Instead of coming out hanging our customary 3 spot and looking totally lost. You would think Marvin would realize his 1975 ball doesn't work anymore and let the O do their thing.

Fingers crossed
Reply/Quote
Just like some questionable players that have graced our rosters...  because they're part of the team doesn't mean I have to like them.

I'm not a Marvin fan.

Win or lose he comes off like a real smug guy to me.

Always resting his laurels on his past from many moons ago.

Win a stinking playoff game Marv.  

I think if he had what it really takes he would have changed the course of the last playoff loss.

Instead he stood there.  Mouth agape.  Glassy eyed.  Doing what he does.  Throw in some claps.

I know I'm gonna get flack for saying that.

I don't care.  He is what he is.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 11:04 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Just like some questionable players that have graced our rosters...  because they're part of the team doesn't mean I have to like them.

I'm not a Marvin fan.

Win or lose he comes off like a real smug guy to me.

Always resting his laurels on his past from many moons ago.

Win a stinking playoff game Marv.  

I think if he had what it really takes he would have changed the course of the last playoff loss.

Instead he stood there.  Mouth agape.  Glassy eyed.  Doing what he does.  Throw in some claps.

I know I'm gonna get flack for saying that.

I don't care.  He is what he is.

Why would you? You're simply stating facts. It's an inconvenient truth, but one that many are very aware of now
Reply/Quote
I hate Marvin more than anyone here, I promise. Having said that, I hate that he’s still an employee of the Bengals.

His only greatness is at looking absolutely dumbfounded.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 11:14 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Why would you? You're simply stating facts. It's an inconvenient truth, but one that many are very aware of now

Because there are some posters on this board who don't think the HC is like that of lower level football athletics.

For some reason since these men are pros that they are not coachable in their actions/reactions.

Hell even Marvin thinks his job stops at Xs and Os.

That is why he won't win any significant game in my opinion.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 01:39 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Do not see any way they can not do this at this juncture. 

Interesting article on Tobin discussing center position.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Tobin-opens-up-on-No-21/79cc00a7-5f7c-48ff-93cb-8115301030a9

Sounds to me like they want BPA versus the center position only.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 11:07 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Interesting article on Tobin discussing center position.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Tobin-opens-up-on-No-21/79cc00a7-5f7c-48ff-93cb-8115301030a9

I just hope they know what they're talking about when they keep bringing up having potential C replacements on the roster.  And I hope it won't stop them from drafting a top C prospect.  Cannot have C being as issue for yet another season.

Reply/Quote

Here is the little glimmer of hope I have. What if all the changes to doing business as usual pays off and shows MB you can't just sit back and hope the same players year after year are going to get the job done. What if we start playing very good football and Marvin still makes bonehead blunders in critical games, not all games but some, does that mean MB sees the light and doesn't bring him back when his contract is up, but keeps making the necessary changes of bringing in better players?
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 11:07 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Interesting article on Tobin discussing center position.

So did Mike Brown and Paul Brown get into a family brawl at a Sunday dinner or what??  LoL  Hilarious

I said in a post somewhere on here the other day, I have a gut feeling we are looking for C probably in 3rd or 4th rd. Meaning, whoever it is will be the 4th or 5th best rated center coming out.
Reply/Quote