Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MM's Early Mock
Trenches!

22. CIN Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois
Traded back a couple spots, got extra picks and still managed to get him, everyone wanted those WR's lol.

49.CIN Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
Taking the Whitworth route maybe. He's a Lefty, but will have a shot to be starter on RT, if he can't adjust, then LG and be heir apparent to OBJJr

66 CIN Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma
Straight up Righty, If he losses to Jordan, then he can be back up RT/RG (as Cappa's contract is up next year)

80. CIN Kris Jenkins DT Michigan
Newton needs a power guy next to him and Jenkins is still growing.

91. CIN Jackson Powers-Johnson OC Oregon
Karras heir apparent, Pump iron and learn for a year

111. CIN Blake Corum RB Michigan
I think he's a good all around work horse RB

171. CIN Matt Goncalves OT Pittsburgh
WTH, If the Jordan experiment doesn't work at RT, then RT back up and Learn the LG/RG spot.

174. CIN Bryson Nesbit TE North Carolina
Sneaky fella, took him for his upside here.

204. CIN Decorian Patterson CB UCF
Another sneaky fella, if he's still here then he's a steal.

Probably overkill, but eff it. It's all about getting the guys in here to protect Burrow and pumping the DL so the secondary doesn't have to cover for so long.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 03:16 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Trenches!

22. CIN Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois
Traded back a couple spots, got extra picks and still managed to get him, everyone wanted those WR's lol.

49.CIN Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
Taking the Whitworth route maybe. He's a Lefty, but will have a shot to be starter on RT, if he can't adjust, then LG and be heir apparent to OBJJr

66 CIN Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma
Straight up Righty, If he losses to Jordan, then he can be back up RT/RG (as Cappa's contract is up next year)

80. CIN Kris Jenkins DT Michigan
Newton needs a power guy next to him and Jenkins is still growing.

91. CIN Jackson Powers-Johnson OC Oregon
Karras heir apparent, Pump iron and learn for a year

111. CIN Blake Corum RB Michigan
I think he's a good all around work horse RB

171. CIN Matt Goncalves OT Pittsburgh
WTH, If the Jordan experiment doesn't work at RT, then RT back up and Learn the LG/RG spot.

174. CIN Bryson Nesbit TE North Carolina
Sneaky fella, took him for his upside here.

204. CIN Decorian Patterson CB UCF
Another sneaky fella, if he's still here then he's a steal.

Probably overkill, but eff it. It's all about getting the guys in here to protect Burrow and pumping the DL so the secondary doesn't have to cover for so long.

This isn't in any way realistic.  Guyton isn't making it into the 60's.  Jenkins is the #47 overall prospect.  Corum is the #63 overall prospect.  

Aside from that, we have two starting WR's that will be UFA's and you don't take one at all, let alone one high enough to have a realistic chance at being a productive starter.  Prioritizing backups and rotational players over starters is a head scratcher.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 04:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: This isn't in any way realistic.  Guyton isn't making it into the 60's.  Jenkins is the #47 overall prospect.  Corum is the #63 overall prospect.  

Aside from that, we have two starting WR's that will be UFA's and you don't take one at all, let alone one high enough to have a realistic chance at being a productive starter.  Prioritizing backups and rotational players over starters is a head scratcher.  

There's a good chance Tyler Guyton could fall. He will be at the Senior Bowl if he struggles which is a good possibility because the guy does not know how to play tackle yet his draft stock will fall.

Taliese Fuaga accepted an invite too so he has a chance to rise or fall in mobile.

For the OP:

I had Matt Goncalves in my pre-season mock but he ended up getting injured early. He is similar prospect to Jonah Williams nothing stands out but solid across the board.

I did a deep dive into JPJ earlier this week and I want to see him in stripes. Oregon runs alot of the same rushing offense as the Bengals so it feels like he could hit thr ground running at LG and move the Center in 2025.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 04:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: This isn't in any way realistic.  Guyton isn't making it into the 60's.  Jenkins is the #47 overall prospect.  Corum is the #63 overall prospect.  

One thing about these drafts, by the time it actually happens there will be so many that move up down and all around that usually ends up the first few drafts you do are about right where the guys end up being drafted. And yes some like Jenkins are rated high, but there is a glutton of DTs this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 05:02 PM)Synric Wrote: There's a good chance Tyler Guyton could fall. He will be at the Senior Bowl if he struggles which is a good possibility because the guy does not know how to play tackle yet his draft stock will fall.

Taliese Fuaga accepted an invite too so he has a chance to rise or fall in mobile.

For the OP:

I had Matt Goncalves in my pre-season mock but he ended up getting injured early. He is similar prospect to Jonah Williams nothing stands out but solid across the board.

I did a deep dive into JPJ earlier this week and I want to see him in stripes. Oregon runs alot of the same rushing offense as the Bengals so it feels like he could hit thr ground running at LG and move the Center in 2025.

Yep, if i was his agent i'd tell him to skip the game and do the combine only. 
He hasn't played the position as much as you'd like to see if you are a team in need of a starting RT. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 05:02 PM)Synric Wrote: There's a good chance Tyler Guyton could fall. He will be at the Senior Bowl if he struggles which is a good possibility because the guy does not know how to play tackle yet his draft stock will fall.

For the OP:

Neither could Broderick Jones last year.  Hell, neither can Mims, this year.  Guyton could slide a bit at the Senior Bowl, but he'll jump right back up again at the Combine.  We also have to factor in a brutally bad FA OT group.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 06:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: Neither could Broderick Jones last year.  Hell, neither can Mims, this year.  Guyton could slide a bit at the Senior Bowl, but he'll jump right back up again at the Combine.  We also have to factor in a brutally bad FA OT group.  

Broderick Jones and Amarius Mims are/were raw true but they were also OL recruits Tyler Guyton is on a different level of raw. He was a defensive line recruit that switched to Offensive Tackle his first live OL reps were in 2022. He's basically getting a top 50 grade from pure athleticism because his technique is almost non-existent..

Everyone expects to Guyton to test through the roof so that is peobabaly not going to move his stock up or down unless it's poor testing. Now an ugly showing in 1 on 1s, 9 on 7s, and team drills could knock him down the draft boards. 

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 06:11 PM)Synric Wrote: Broderick Jones and Amarius Mims are/were raw true but they were also OL recruits Tyler Guyton is on a different level of raw. He was a defensive line recruit that switched to Offensive Tackle his first live OL reps were in 2022. He's basically getting a top 50 grade from pure athleticism because his technique is almost non-existent..

Everyone expects to Guyton to test through the roof so that is peobabaly not going to move his stock up or down unless it's poor testing. Now an ugly showing in 1 on 1s, 9 on 7s, and team drills could knock him down the draft boards. 

And if he shows better than expected in drills, his stock will move up.  That can be argued about any player in the draft process.  As of current Big Boards, it isn't realistic.  Besides, didn't you tell me as many as 10 OT's may go in the 1st, or am I thinking of someone else?

Going beyond draft rankings, it's in no way realistic.  Three OT's when we have our starting LT under contract for 3 more years?  Best case scenario is one is a 4 year starter and another starts for only one before both your bookends are UFA's at the same time.  Double dipping at 3 tech when you've got a solid starter under contract and a 3rd round pick on his rookie deal?  So best case scenario, you cut a 3rd round pick and have another 3rd round pick sitting inactive all year because no 4-3 team dresses three 3 techs.  It isn't just the slots guys are drafted that make it unrealistic.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 06:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: And if he shows better than expected in drills, his stock will move up.  That can be argued about any player in the draft process.  As of current Big Boards, it isn't realistic.  Besides, didn't you tell me as many as 10 OT's may go in the 1st, or am I thinking of someone else?

Going beyond draft rankings, it's in no way realistic.  Three OT's when we have our starting LT under contract for 3 more years?  Best case scenario is one is a 4 year starter and another starts for only one before both your bookends are UFA's at the same time.  Double dipping at 3 tech when you've got a solid starter under contract and a 3rd round pick on his rookie deal?  So best case scenario, you cut a 3rd round pick and have another 3rd round pick sitting inactive all year because no 4-3 team dresses three 3 techs.  It isn't just the slots guys are drafted that make it unrealistic.  

I probabaly did if you count Barton and Fautanu you get really close to 10 guys that have at least that 1st/2nd round grade.

As for Tyler Guyton I'm just pointing out that massive downside of drafting him which is that he is all projection because his tape doesn't backup a top 50 grade. His elite athleticism at a position the NFL is starving for athletes drives up his stock. I would bet Guyton is going to need a redshirt year. Mims on the other hand is like Broderick Jones raw but you would probabaly feel more comfortable with him starting week 1... although there some issues with Mims but alot of them can just be tied to him getting more comfortable.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 08:49 PM)Synric Wrote: I probabaly did if you count Barton and Fautanu you get really close to 10 guys that have at least that 1st/2nd round grade.

As for Tyler Guyton I'm just pointing out that massive downside of drafting him which is that he is all projection because his tape doesn't backup a top 50 grade. His elite athleticism at a position the NFL is starving for athletes drives up his stock. I would bet Guyton is going to need a redshirt year. Mims on the other hand is like Broderick Jones raw but you would probabaly feel more comfortable with him starting week 1... although there some issues with Mims but alot of them can just be tied to him getting more comfortable.

You're spot on with your concerns o Guyton.  However, I still don't see where he slips into the 3rd round 
Reply/Quote