Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMQB Podcast with Sam Wyche....Fascinating!
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/21/themmqb-peter-king-nfl-podcast-sam-wyche-cincinnati-bengals-heart-transplant

It runs over an hour, but it is totally worth your time. Great stories and it gave me such a great vibe to hear Sam's appreciation and his attitude on life since his transplant.

Long live Sam Wyche, the innovator!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 01:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/21/themmqb-peter-king-nfl-podcast-sam-wyche-cincinnati-bengals-heart-transplant

It runs over an hour, but it is totally worth your time.  Great stories and it gave me such a great vibe to hear Sam's appreciation and his attitude on life since his transplant.  

Long live Sam Wyche, the innovator!

AMEN to Wyche

DOWN with Brown!!!

Reply/Quote
I don't care what anyone says Sam created the No Huddle / Hurry up offense, not Marv Levy. I remember Marv complaining about it in the 88 afc championship game, then suddenly the next year he created it somehow.. Total BS
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 02:50 PM)ANTHONY Wrote: I don't care what anyone says Sam created the  No Huddle / Hurry up offense, not Marv Levy. I remember Marv complaining about it in the 88 afc championship game, then suddenly the next year he created it somehow.. Total BS

Same with the West Coast offense. It started in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 02:52 PM)9THE PISTONS Wrote: Same with the West Coast offense. It started in Cincy.

Was it Paul Brown who taught it to Bill Walsh when he was here? That was a lil before my time . I was born in 80'
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 02:54 PM)ANTHONY Wrote: Was it Paul Brown who taught it to Bill Walsh when he was here? That was a lil before my time . I was born in 80'

It was Walsh's offense.  He had to put together a system for a weak-armed quarterback when they lost Greg Cook.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 02:50 PM)ANTHONY Wrote: I don't care what anyone says Sam created the  No Huddle / Hurry up offense, not Marv Levy. I remember Marv complaining about it in the 88 afc championship game, then suddenly the next year he created it somehow.. Total BS

You're exactly right....Sam actually started it at Indiana to try and make up the talent gap against Big 10 opponents.  That, and his version of the Ohio River offense caught Paul Brown's eye.  Also, Wyche was a backup QB here during the late 60s/early 70s.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 03:51 PM)samhain Wrote: It was Walsh's offense.  He had to put together a system for a weak-armed quarterback when they lost Greg Cook.

And then Paul B. stepped down and named Tiger Johnson as HC instead of Bill Walsh.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 06:43 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: And then Paul B. stepped down and named Tiger Johnson as HC instead of Bill Walsh.

The beginning of a lot of really bad coaching choices by someone named Brown.
Reply/Quote

They discuss this in the interview...at length.

I was fuzzy on some of the details, but WOW.  Sam really stood toe to toe with the NFL brass.  Amazing story.  I took my phone and a blue tooth speaker out to the hot tub and listened for the last half hour.  I couldn't turn it off, even though I probably should have been getting to bed.  It gave me an odd sense of pride, the way Sam handled Tagliabue(sp?).
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 12:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: They discuss this in the interview...at length.

I was fuzzy on some of the details, but WOW.  Sam really stood toe to toe with the NFL brass.  Amazing story.  I took my phone and a blue tooth speaker out to the hot tub and listened for the last half hour.  I couldn't turn it off, even though I probably should have been getting to bed.  It gave me an odd sense of pride, the way Sam handled Tagliabue(sp?).

Sam was an innovator that always stood his ground.  He was the man.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I miss Sam being Coach so much .. I was really young when I became a bengals fan, but I'm pretty sure He had alot to do with it... He is my Fav coach of all time. I watch 88 the missing rings alot because of all the parts about his coaching. He was an innovator , he was great... Stupid Mike Brown.. First Wyche , then Boomer ...Then the Downfall
Reply/Quote