Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRI says non displaced anterior superior hip labral tear
I've been dealing with back and hip pain for about 8 months. They did an MRI on my back and found an L4/L5 disc pushing against the sciatic nerve, transitional anatomy at the hip (left hip is connected to spine instead of gapped, happens in 15-20% of people, congenital at birth and not everyone has pain with it) == "Bertolotti's syndrome".

A few months later they did an MRI on my hip because I was complaining of groin pain at the same time and it shows a labral tear (anterior superior), non displaced. By this point it was 7-8 months of pain when they did that hip MRI.

I've got sciatica in my foot too, so I think multiple things are failing now (since it's all connected).

I was walking a lot in March/April (10-15 miles at a time), I used to run a lot, but that didn't affect this injury because I haven't run in years.

Has anyone else here gotten through life with a labral tear or did you get surgery?

I also have plantar fasciitis and it hurts to walk on my left foot without Oofos. I've seen 7 people in the medical profession for this so far (primary, 2 PTs, spine PA, another primary, spine/hip interventionist). They still want me in PT and a steroid injection into the L4/L5.

Most of my pain feels like it stems from the SI joint, my SI joint shows clear on XRAY/MRIs, but that is where I have sacralization (fusing of the hip and spine). I asked the spine PA if she could do a diagnostistic injection into that area (for my known bertolotti's syndrome) to see if it's the pain generator and she won't (they can do that) but she wants to do the L4/L5 instead.

I wasn't able to swing my left leg for months, doctors didn't seem to care, just threw a lot of medicine my way. Heating/ice packs for months, feel like US healthcare is trash at this point. I think I should be getting surgery for the labral tear, I don't know what to do at this point.

I'm doing a lot of hip strengthening exercises for now, last spine guy said I'm not allowed to walk anymore (huh?), I can only bike and use the elliptical. At the same time he made me buy Hokas with inserts, OK that's fine, but what's the use if I can't walk? lol. I go to a chiropractor for traction and I have an inverter table. I think the hip fusing is part of the problem, when I step with my left foot the force travels up the leg/hip and into the spine (instead of stopping at the hip). The argument for this is why did the pain only start now, but this shit happens when we get older.
Reply/Quote
If there is a surgery to fix it and make you feel better...do the surgery.

I know it's scary, but the relief that it can bring is 100% worth it.

My father-in-law dealt with excruciating back pain for over a year, and he just refused surgery. He finally succumbed because he wanted his life back and he will tell you it was the best decision of his life.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 06:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If there is a surgery to fix it and make you feel better...do the surgery.

I know it's scary, but the relief that it can bring is 100% worth it.

My father-in-law dealt with excruciating back pain for over a year, and he just refused surgery. He finally succumbed because he wanted his life back and he will tell you it was the best decision of his life.

Solid advice.  

You do not want to sentence yourself to a life full of pain.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I'll likely need a hip replacement sooner or later with bad arthritis in both plus sciatica .. I keep moving though.
A friend I buy lumber from had double hip replacements. He's been on crutches for 6 months, but due to lose them soon if not already.. 
I dunno..After almost dying when they dug into my hip to fix an artery I'm not sure I want anyone cutting into me like that again.. I went into hemorrhagic shock and my abdomen filled up with blood..I needed 8 units of blood..average adult make only has 10 units so my blood is 80% someone else.  Shocked
Anyway.. If you're still young go for it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2022, 11:28 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I've been dealing with back and hip pain for about 8 months. They did an MRI on my back and found an L4/L5 disc pushing against the sciatic nerve, transitional anatomy at the hip (left hip is connected to spine instead of gapped, happens in 15-20% of people, congenital at birth and not everyone has pain with it) == "Bertolotti's syndrome".

A few months later they did an MRI on my hip because I was complaining of groin pain at the same time and it shows a labral tear (anterior superior), non displaced. By this point it was 7-8 months of pain when they did that hip MRI.

I've got sciatica in my foot too, so I think multiple things are failing now (since it's all connected).

I was walking a lot in March/April (10-15 miles at a time), I used to run a lot, but that didn't affect this injury because I haven't run in years.

Has anyone else here gotten through life with a labral tear or did you get surgery?

I also have plantar fasciitis and it hurts to walk on my left foot without Oofos. I've seen 7 people in the medical profession for this so far (primary, 2 PTs, spine PA, another primary, spine/hip interventionist). They still want me in PT and a steroid injection into the L4/L5.

Most of my pain feels like it stems from the SI joint, my SI joint shows clear on XRAY/MRIs, but that is where I have sacralization (fusing of the hip and spine). I asked the spine PA if she could do a diagnostistic injection into that area (for my known bertolotti's syndrome) to see if it's the pain generator and she won't (they can do that) but she wants to do the L4/L5 instead.

I wasn't able to swing my left leg for months, doctors didn't seem to care, just threw a lot of medicine my way. Heating/ice packs for months, feel like US healthcare is trash at this point. I think I should be getting surgery for the labral tear, I don't know what to do at this point.

I'm doing a lot of hip strengthening exercises for now, last spine guy said I'm not allowed to walk anymore (huh?), I can only bike and use the elliptical. At the same time he made me buy Hokas with inserts, OK that's fine, but what's the use if I can't walk? lol. I go to a chiropractor for traction and I have an inverter table. I think the hip fusing is part of the problem, when I step with my left foot the force travels up the leg/hip and into the spine (instead of stopping at the hip). The argument for this is why did the pain only start now, but this shit happens when we get older.

My wife has had several surgeries for torn hip labrums. They are tough injuries, but manageable. Eventually, she is going to need a hip replacement. It is all about pain management for the most part but eventually, something will need to be done. Depending on how bad the tear is and how active the person is, the recovery can be lengthy. Her recovery was roughly six months before she was back to 100% each time. She was a collegiate athlete, just for context. 

Good luck. 
Reply/Quote
I'm having surgery Tuesday for FAI and labral tear.
Reply/Quote