Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MTG vs AOC
We've had this debate before.  Who was wrong here?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>der/stat

[Image: Screenshot-2024-05-19-085702.png]033218876621225
https://x.com/TheClearCider/status/1792033218876621225
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Boebert also has a horse in this race.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
[Image: 6714448def1ebe64c944fb1c7def669d.jpg]
Reply/Quote
AOC took the bait and swallowed the hook on that one.  And I went to a Catholic school and I haven't seen someone both the sign of the cross as badly as Boebert has since the stinky dumb kid in class when we were in 1st grade.  He'd legit do the multiple shoulder touches.  It's like, dude there aren't that many holy spirits.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 10:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: AOC took the bait and swallowed the hook on that one.  And I went to a Catholic school and I haven't seen someone both the sign of the cross as badly as Boebert has since the stinky dumb kid in class when we were in 1st grade.  He'd legit do the multiple shoulder touches.  It's like, dude there aren't that many holy spirits.

I think MTG really has nothing more to offer than insults and AOC was right to demand it be stricken.  Then only person who thought MTG did good (publicly) was MTG because you're right...she was trying to bait AOC.

She just didn't realize how dumb she looked doing it.
Reply/Quote
What’s a butch body?

She came with nice alliteration there.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 11:47 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: What’s a butch body?

Would be interesting to see what was said before asking about the eyelashes, like if there was previous verbal sparring going on.

Not that selective editing happens on either side...
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 11:47 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: What’s a butch body?

[Image: GN3vAYUXMAIe2UE?format=jpg&name=large]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 12:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: GN3vAYUXMAIe2UE?format=jpg&name=large]

Whatever this is it went over my head.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Isn't "butch body" a homophobic slur? I'm surprised some posters aren't very offended by that.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 11:50 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Would be interesting to see what was said before asking about the eyelashes, like if there was previous verbal sparring going on.

Not that selective editing happens on either side...

MTG: I'd like to ask any Democrat on the committee if they have employed Judge Marchen's daughter, she glances around, oh Goldman

Crockett: do you know why we are here today?  what does this have to do with Merritt Garland

and the rest is history

MTG's question was kind of out of the blue unless she was very clumsily trying to make some point after numerous Democrats pointed out that they were ready for the meeting all day but the Committe Republicans were too  busy in NY to actually do their job at a decent hour

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 12:59 PM)pally Wrote: MTG: I'd like to ask any Democrat on the committee if they have employed Judge Marchen's daughter, she glances around, oh Goldman

Crockett: do you know why we are here today?  what does this have to do with Merritt Garland

and the rest is history

MTG's question was kind of out of the blue unless she was very clumsily trying to make some point after numerous Democrats pointed out that they were ready for the meeting all day but the Committe Republicans were too  busy in NY to actually do their job at a decent hour

I appreciate a few lines earlier.

I didn't know if this was a common theme, not that it makes it acceptable, throughout the session.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 12:39 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Isn't "butch body" a homophobic slur? I'm surprised some posters aren't very offended by that.

Hmm
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 12:39 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Isn't "butch body" a homophobic slur?  I'm surprised some posters aren't very offended by that.

They used it against the other side, so it's okay.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 01:47 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: They used it against the other side, so it's okay.

They didn't really use it against anyone really though. No one got personally called the slur in question.

EDIT This is a bad take on my part
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 02:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: They didn't really use it against anyone really though. No one got personally called the slur in question.

I don't think that's how using slurs work Hollo.

- - - - -

As to the OP... have we developed the technology yet to send people on rockets into the sun? Because I know an Eddie Money song they could listen to on the way. Ninja

Truly a vs where no matter who wins we all lose.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 05:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't think that's how using slurs work Hollo.

EDIT Yet another bad take from stupid me

Alright, I get what you're saying. One shouldn't say it at all and such, that seems like a fair point for itself. But in the context of the dialogue, it remains quite a stretch to claim "they used it against the other side", as if someone from the other side was actually called the slur in question.

As for how it was actually used, I can see what kind of indignation informed the question to be posed as such, an indignation I can comprehend. It was an explicit way of asking whether comments like that are deemed acceptable now. To turn that question into a "they used a slur" debate seems a bit disingenuous to me.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 05:39 PM)hollodero Wrote: Alright, I get what you're saying. One shouldn't say it at all and such, that seems like a fair point for itself. But in the context of the dialogue, it remains quite a stretch to claim "they used it against the other side", as if someone from the other side was actually called the slur in question.

As for how it was actually used, I can see what kind of indignation informed the question to be posed as such, an indignation I can comprehend. It was an explicit way of asking whether comments like that are deemed acceptable now. To turn that question into a "they used a slur" debate seems a bit disingenuous to me.

It was a clear reference to the opposition to evoke a response,

Playing dumb to it does  not excuse it.

Disingenuous indeed.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 06:02 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: It was a clear reference to the opposition to evoke a response,

OK, I will consider that. Whom specifically would it have been in reference to?

Just now I notice it might have been MTG herself, which I did not consider because I just would not have associated her with the slurs used, barring the blonde part. But OK, now that I see it, I might just have been wrong with my assessment.
Reply/Quote