Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MTG vs AOC
(05-19-2024, 12:39 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Isn't "butch body" a homophobic slur? I'm surprised some posters aren't very offended by that.

Not that I am aware of. Butch just means having masculine qualities. I mean, it was body shaming and stooping to MTG's level, but butch isn't specifically homophobic.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 06:35 PM)hollodero Wrote: OK, I will consider that. Whom specifically would it have been in reference to?

Just now I notice it might have been MTG herself, which I did not consider because I just would not have associated her with the slurs used, barring the blonde part. But OK, now that I see it, I might just have been wrong with my assessment.

Maybe you were quasi-wrong.  

Democrats should know better than to provide ammunition for "both sides do it!" 
That allows blame for the disruption, which clearly began with MTG, to be spread evenly.
I'm disappointed that AOC and Crockett allowed MTG to put them out of kilter like that,
though maybe I'd think differently if I had to deal with her day-in and day-out. 

Yet Crockett was raising a legitimate question about the line between valid debate points and personal insults, 
which aren't allowed during such debates. Sounds like she and fellow Dems wanted rules to be clear
and followed by all House members, not just Dems. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2024, 06:35 PM)hollodero Wrote: OK, I will consider that. Whom specifically would it have been in reference to?

Just now I notice it might have been MTG herself, which I did not consider because I just would not have associated her with the slurs used, barring the blonde part. But OK, now that I see it, I might just have been wrong with my assessment.

It was clearly directed at MTG, who had commented on Crocket's fake eyelashes just moments before.  Both women are an embarrassment and the fact either is in Congress doesn't exactly speak well about the health of our nation.  The usual suspects will line up behind their party of choice regarding who was wrong and what was said being awful.  The same people on the committee who were aghast at the eyelashes comment got in a hearty chuckle at the alliteration from Crocket.  The whole back and forth was pathetic.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 01:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It was clearly directed at MTG, who had commented on Crocket's fake eyelashes just moments before.  Both women are an embarrassment and the fact either is in Congress doesn't exactly speak well about the health of our nation.  The usual suspects will line up behind their party of choice regarding who was wrong and what was said being awful.  The same people on the committee who were aghast at the eyelashes comment got in a hearty chuckle at the alliteration from Crocket.  The whole back and forth was pathetic.

It is the lower chamber for a reason. Ninja
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Idiots in office.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 01:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It is the lower chamber for a reason. Ninja

You ain't lying.  My friend at work and I were discussing Crockett the other day.  This friend is close to being a militant black woman, doesn't celebrate the 4th etc.  She mentioned that if a white person wrote a sketch in which a black congresswoman acted like her they'd be instantly labeled as racist and stereotyping.  Of course MTG is a special kind of inane.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 11:41 AM)Dill Wrote: Maybe you were quasi-wrong.  

Nah I was just totally wrong.

(05-20-2024, 01:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It was clearly directed at MTG, who had commented on Crocket's fake eyelashes just moments before.

It was, yet I did not see it. Maybe the "I'm a stupid foreigner" card helps tamper the embarrassment.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 02:13 PM)hollodero Wrote: Nah I was just totally wrong.

It was, yet I did not see it. Maybe the "I'm a stupid foreigner" card helps tamper the embarrassment.

Nothing to be embarrassed about.  Not expecting this level of childish behavior from members of Congress isn't something you should feel bad about.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 02:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nothing to be embarrassed about.  Not expecting this level of childish behavior from members of Congress isn't something you should feel bad about.

Nah, it's embarrassing still. If anything, the answers already given should have been a clue. I will try to take the humiliation like a man.

What is also true is that's embarrassing for Congress. US politics makes me appreciate my own country so much more, at least we don't do that kind of stuff.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 02:40 PM)hollodero Wrote: Nah, it's embarrassing still. If anything, the answers already given should have been a clue. I will try to take the humiliation like a man.

What is also true is that's embarrassing for Congress. US politics makes me appreciate my own country so much more, at least we don't do that kind of stuff.

This didn't happen in the recent past.  This kind of thing would be unheard of even fifteen years ago.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 03:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This didn't happen in the recent past.  This kind of thing would be unheard of even fifteen years ago.

I mean, I have to disagree. We tend to look back at our history with rose colored glasses on this sort of thing, but the House has been rowdy ever since it came into existence.

[Image: 1280px-Lyon-griswold-brawl.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 03:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I mean, I have to disagree. We tend to look back at our history with rose colored glasses on this sort of thing, but the House has been rowdy ever since it came into existence.

I knew you were going to check me on this. 

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 02:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nothing to be embarrassed about.  Not expecting this level of childish behavior from members of Congress isn't something you should feel bad about.

The name-calling? If that's what you mean, I tend agree. It makes deliberation difficult. 

But it doesn't surprise me. The political culture is changing to make such behavior more acceptable--even for the highest office in the land.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2024, 03:38 PM)Belsnicke Wrote: I mean, I have to disagree. We tend to look back at our history with rose colored glasses on this sort of thing, but the House has been rowdy ever since it came into existence.

I think we've done pretty well since the 1940s though. 

That's why the current round of misbehavior seems newsworthy.  It's atavistic. 
Reply/Quote